Military Brides
Options

Witnesses needed for a courthouse wedding in NC?

So I've tried google and couldn't find much information. My friends are trying to get married and I was curious if anyone knows if they would need witnesses for a courthouse wedding in North Carolina and how many they would need? Or if the judge could be the witness?

Thanks to all that help!

Re: Witnesses needed for a courthouse wedding in NC?

• Options
    I would suggest that they call their county/circuit clerk's office. That's the best way to find these things out. Most of those offices have a button on the phone directory you press for marriage info, or you can just go into the county courthouse and find their office. I think generally you need one or two witnesses besides the officiant. They can be anyone, though, they don't have to know the couple, they just have to sign the papers, and I would guess they have to witness the ceremony. 
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Yes, the marriage license requires two witnesses (regardless of where the wedding happens, by the way).

ETA: I meant regardless of where it happens within NC, obviously. Doesn't matter if it's at the courthouse or in a church or wherever.
  • Options
    They should call the court and ask about it.  You are required two witnesses.  However, our court house will get two clerks to witness if you don't have anyone.  Not all with do that, though.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards