Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Second Line - dress concerns

For those brides who did/are doing their second line after the ceremony, were their any issues with messing up the dress?  I haven't picked out a dress yet, but now I'm scared that dragging it along bourbon street will get it dirty for pictures that we would be taking during cocktail hour.  I know we could alway do the first look and take all our pictures before the ceremony, but my FI and I would prefer not to.  

Did you ladies hold your dress as you were walking or have it bustled before you left?  Or did you just say "to hell with it" and march down with your umbrella and drink in hand?  I may be worrying about nothing, but was just curious!

Re: Second Line - dress concerns

• Options
    I just held it, there was no time to bustle. I did have H carry my drink though because it kept spilling down my dress as I was dancing, luckily it was the underneath part that was showing because I was holding it up. The bottom of your dress will get dirty no matter what, but not noticeably so.
  • Options
    My dress got dirty just taking pictures in the French Quarter before the ceremony.  Because I second lined after my reception, I bought a short dress to wear just for the second line.

FWIW-The dry cleaners were able to get most of the dirt out of the dress, but that won't help you if you want your dress to be clean for the reception.
  • Options
    I've been wondering about this too... My dress isnt really in a style to be able to hold it up either. I'm thinking i'll have my MOH bustle for me quick. and then unbustle for picks. and then rebustle. lol. thats gonna be a pain, isn't it?! oh, well.... We ARE doing first look pics tho.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    My dress is ankle length plus I'll be wearing some kind of a heel as well so I'm thinking that kind of clearance will prevent the dress from getting dirty. We are also doing first look pics as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My dress was basically only unbustled for the ceremony.  I bustled it for first look photos and during the reception.  I just didn't want it to drag.  It was a pain to do, but it didn't actually take that long.  Make sure that you go over with your MOH or whoever will be bustling/unbustling your dress.  Sometimes it's a two person job.
  • Options
    I had the same concerns. The shoes I bought for the wedding were the perfect height for the church and reception but I knew my dress would sweep the FQ if I wore them for the second line. So, about a week before the wedding I went out and bought the highest heels I could find (5 inches or so). I also kept my dress bustled for everything but the ceremony and my MOH helped me hold it up when needed. In the end, my dress looked great for family pics and the cleaners reccently commented that it was suprisingly clean compared to most dresses they get.

Changing heels:

Rebustling my dress:

And we're off!

• Options
    edited June 2012
    I think I will be doing the 2nd Line after the ceremony, before the reception, and I'm going to switch into a reception/party dress.  Since we're going to do trash-the-dress pics on our honeymoon, it all works out.  No worries during the 2nd line and clean dress for the reception.  But we're also going to do a first look and photos before-hand.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_second-line-dress-concerns?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:84Discussion:c912206f-0f47-4a34-9c6c-93271f5bb5d2Post:4f5c9c55-fbcf-4cd1-8159-afdbcaa5e7bd">Re: Second Line - dress concerns</a>:
    [QUOTE]My dress was basically only unbustled for the ceremony.  I bustled it for first look photos and during the reception.  I just didn't want it to drag.  It was a pain to do, but it didn't actually take that long.  Make sure that you go over with your MOH or whoever will be bustling/unbustling your dress.  Sometimes it's a two person job.
    Posted by louisianablue[/QUOTE]

thats a good idea about buslting your dress for the first look photos, i think i'll do that too! :)
  • Options
    Sounds like I will need to have some speed bustling practice sessions with the MOH!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_second-line-dress-concerns?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:84Discussion:c912206f-0f47-4a34-9c6c-93271f5bb5d2Post:8df1debb-67c8-43da-b03f-5f9e1b5e9674">Re:Second Line dress concerns</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sounds like I will need to have some speed bustling practice sessions with the MOH!
    Posted by TeamBLT[/QUOTE]

lol yup!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards