Arkansas
Options

Wedding Photographer?

Just curious as to what most everyone is spending on photography?  Should I budget mostly for a good photographer because that is thing besides memories that will be left after all is said and done?  Do most people get DVD's or Prints?   Im so confused as to what to do?

Re: Wedding Photographer?

• Options
    jlk67jlk67 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

We spent $2000 for two photographers for the whole day.  They were with us for about 9 hours total.  When compared to all the other professional photographers that I researched, that was about half as much.  I got all my pictures on a DVD and I have printed whatever I wanted.   I used Kari Nichols in Hot Springs. 

My husband had talked to a friend of a friend who was doing wedding photography in her spare time and would have only charged us $600, but she didn't have a portfolio and I didn't feel comfortable hiring someone when I had no idea how good she was.  I would prefer to pay more and be assured that I had a professional.  When I think about it, $2000 for two photographers for nine hours isn't really that much more than $600 for one that wouldn't stay all day.

Look around.  Talk to more than one.  I wouldn't hire anyone who doesn't give you the rights to all your photos.  

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, I totaly agree!  I think im going to go with Tammie Thessing if she is available.  She is located in North Little Rock, and has shot all over the country.  Her prices are actually very good for as much experience as she's had.   I talked to one of my friends and they said she is awesome.  She includes two photographers as well.  I had someone message me saying that they can do it for 1000.00, but like you I would rather have a legit proffesional at my wedding.   I was comparing photos side by side and you can just tell a major difference.  Another photographer that I liked was the Hudsons, but they are located near Fort Smith.  I guess either way I cant go wrong.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Whitney Flora Photography and sHe is AWESOME. Im paying 860.00 for two photographers for six hours on the day of the wedding plus a two hour engagement shoot.
  • Options
    melissak1qmelissak1q member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Izzie8, where is W.Flora based out of? That's an incredibly good deal!

I'm looking at a photography group out of Dallas to bring with me to Hot Springs for my wedding in April, 2012 but haven't made any plans yet.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You want to make sure that she is insured and bonded.  There are lots of "on the side" photographers out there that arent insured, so that if your wedding gets screwed up..ie lost pics..broke camera..photographer brakes something..etc..that you will be reimbursed for all wedding expenses.  I have learned so much since I have been researching for photographers.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Honestly I cant remember the exact loaction she is based out of, I know it is just north of little rock, Jacksonville if I remember correctly. I had a really horrible experience with the first photograper I booked and having had to deal with than Whitney has been great! Our engagement session is this Friday so Im really excited. She is a full time photography teacher who also shoots on the side. her web site is www.whitneyfloraphotography.com  Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Does anyone know of a good photographer in Hot Springs?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the comment about only using a photographer who will give you the rights to reprint the photos at your discretion. That being said, don't let that be the only selling point for any one.

I went with Kathryn McGill (now Cavallero) paid only 650, which was a great price for photographers in the Bentonville area, but I'd have paid more and went with someone else to have my pictures by now.

The day of our wedding she said she'd have a preview of our pictures available in a week, two weeks AFTER that deadline we finally saw something. Four weeks ago she said she was finished, we've still not seen all of our pictures, everything past us leaving the chapel has yet to be released. Two and a half weeks ago she said she'd mailed us a CD with all of our pictures; guess what? We've still not seen that either. Ten days ago she said all of the photos should all be viewable in 24 hours, we're still waiting on the ALL of our photos part to be fulfilled.

At first she gave lame excuses, way after the fact, then she moved on to saying that there must be something wrong with our e-mail accounts, because she'd been e-mailing us and we'd never gotten them. Now it's the website provider she uses, it's their fault because we've not been able to see our pictures; and before that she said it must be our internet that wouldn't let us see them.

I am so incredibly disappointed - my mother talks about taking her to court on a daily basis and all of the people we invited that couldn't come feel like we're lying to them.

In short, don't go with her, and who ever you do decide to go with, look for their references and ask about their experience, I feel like that's just as important as liking the style of photos they take.
  • Options
    jlk67jlk67 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    To the person asking for a photographer in Hot Springs... I used Kari Nichols.  I really liked her.  I had my pictures on DVD about two weeks after the wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I hired Michelle Posey out of LR and I can't wait for our engagement session. I met her at the Kiss the Brides Bridal Show. She is very, very nice, open to questions and does more photojournalism style of photos. Her prices were really reasonable for the amount of products and services that you receive.
    Future Mrs. Nathaniel Baker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Every movement of wedding ceremony is important. Therefore, it is recommended try to shoot before you shoot for your mate wedding. Also try to take help from a genuine professional wedding photographer.:)
    Wedding photographers Jacksonville
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're flying our photographers in from California. Their fee is $3500, plus the plane tickets isa total of about $4000
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards