Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Including absent children into ceremony

Need ideas . I have 2 children (both girls), due to personal reasons I gave them up for adoption. They are 13 and 11. I have no right to contact them so they don't know about me getting married. I want to include them somehow in my ceremony. I have a piece of jewelry they gifted me that I never take off and will wear with my dress. I just want them 'there' somehow in some form.Suggestions please.  

Re: Including absent children into ceremony

• The prayer is a good idea!
    I know they are with relatives out of state and are together. Hopefully one day they can come back since I'm in the same town and know where I work. Undecided
  • I would get a locket charm for your bouquet and put their pictures in it.

I know you said you have no right to contact them and I hope you don't mind me sticking my nose in but even if it's a closed adoption is there be a way for you to send a letter to your daughters' guardians? Either before the ceremony so that you can either ask for their presence or a token that represents them that could be used in the ceremony or after the ceremony to share the memories with them (something your daughters would probably read once they're older). 

If you're not comfortable discussing the second paragraph I totally get it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree w/pp that in a prayer it would be very approriate to have them say "and loved ones who can't be with us" then you cover friends/family who couldn't make it to the wedding, your daughters, and any family/friends who have passed.

i wouldn't mention them more then that because unless everyone who is attending the wedding knows the circumstances of why you gave them up for adoption, you'll be opening a whole can of worms of people asking you or more then liking talking to each other behind your back wondering why you gave them up for adoption. I don't think your wedding day is the day you want to deal with that. Not that it's any of their business, but you can't stop people from wondering.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards