Getting in Shape

172 calories left in MyFitnessPal

I ate healthy, but high calorie stuff today and am left with only 172 calories for the day. What would you do?

I see my options as sticking with a salad with a small amount of protein (like an egg or tofu), eating a more substantial meal and not worrying about the calories, or going back to the gym (I already worked out over an hour today). 

Re: 172 calories left in MyFitnessPal

• Here's my day. I actually forgot that this morning I tracked 150 for weight training and then FitBit took that 150 away. I'm still going to count that. So I guess I have 320 calories--not great, but better.
  • edited March 2013
    Depends... What's your food log say about your percentages between carb/protein/fat? 

What did you do at the gym today? 

ETA: 
    While you have had relatively reasonable stuff to eat, you haven't had much in terms of veggies (or raw, natural whole foods). I think you need to have a big salad with a simple balsamic vinegar and call it good (maybe add some seeds or a little quinoa). 
  • Wow that really isn't a lot. When I first started MFP a few months ago, I said that I wanted to lose a pound a week and it gave me some crazy low calorie count per day to work with so I had to adjust it to half a pound. For dinner if it's just me, I honestly usually do a whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter and an apple. It's a low calorie option that fills me up till bed time.
  • Tunafish!  100 cal for a can!
    Anniversary
  • AJuliaNJAJuliaNJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_172-calories-left-in-myfitnesspal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:5d665cac-db18-4823-9171-af1064e2c34fPost:97c28e56-233d-4b94-b1bc-3deae9bbc4a6">Re: 172 calories left in MyFitnessPal</a>:
    [QUOTE]Depends... What's your food log say about your percentages between carb/protein/fat?  What did you do at the gym today?  ETA:  While you have had relatively reasonable stuff to eat, you haven't had much in terms of veggies (or raw, natural whole foods). I think you need to have a big salad with a simple balsamic vinegar and call it good (maybe add some seeds or a little quinoa). 
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

Here is where I am with carbs/protein/fat. The first number is how much I ate. The second is my daily goal (per MFP)
    <div>Carbs: 62/201</div><div>Protein: 132/55</div><div>Fat: 52/48</div><div>
    </div><div>At the gym, I did weight-based squat and lunge stuff, abs on the TRX thingy, rows, curl to presses, and an incline walk.</div><div>
    </div><div>I suck at eating.</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: I think I just got excited about the coffee shake recipe I saw today. I should not have had 2 shakes.</div>
  • haha understandable that you got excited about it. :) 2 might have been a bit overkill,but whatevs. It's just one day, and your protein is killer for the day which is good since you worked big muscle groups like legs. 

Andrea, please excuse me but I forget.. Are you vegetarian? 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_172-calories-left-in-myfitnesspal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:5d665cac-db18-4823-9171-af1064e2c34fPost:a3552283-c103-412c-8a69-e1f69226f4bf">Re: 172 calories left in MyFitnessPal</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you need to nix the protein shakes. They are a ton of calories and putting you way over your protein goals (I think MFP tends to lowball protein, but not by a third). For today, I agree with FTL< just have some veggies and maybe some whole grains since you are low on cards. For the future, nix the shakes/snacks they are killing you calorie wise and it is generally a bad idea to drink the majority of your calories.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks. From what you are all saying, a salad is probably best. I will buy some whole grains. Maybe tonight is a good time to try quinoa, especially with my FI being away. </div><div>
    </div><div>This is probably the first time ever that I've had 2 shakes in one day, but it definitely killed my calories for the day. I got excited about that new recipe and couldn't wait.</div>
  • Honestly, I would just eat dinner as planned. Eating at maintenance (or even a slight surplus) for a day is not going to fundamentally derail you.
  • The salad seems like the best bet for tonight. 

I have the opposite problem tonight.  I have 926 calories left for the day and my planned dinner is only around 500.  Oops. 

Side note: I love the cookie dough luna protein bars.  OMG they taste just like cookie dough dipped in chocolate. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The only comment I was going to make was about not having so many protein shakes. If you're going to overdo it on protein for a day you should be getting it from real food, not fake powder supplements.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_172-calories-left-in-myfitnesspal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:5d665cac-db18-4823-9171-af1064e2c34fPost:6a556bb3-cb03-4e2c-8b52-b73da99664e1">Re: 172 calories left in MyFitnessPal</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly, I would just eat dinner as planned. Eating at maintenance (or even a slight surplus) for a day is not going to fundamentally derail you.
    Posted by unchatenfrance[/QUOTE]

This is where I'm at.  I would NOT try to shortchange myself on dinner (172 calories is barely enough for a SNACK for me, much less dinner) by that much, or I'd be up at 3am starving.    I'd stick with something a bit lighter than normal, maybe (so a salad is a good idea, but don't limit your protein on it.  Throw some chicken breast on it too, it will add all of about 80 more calories) but there is no need to try to cram your dinner into 172 calories for ONE day. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards