Ohio-Cleveland

Long distance wedding planning in Cleveland - need reception ideas

This is going to be long so bear with me - I've just started my research for a reception venue in Cleveland - preferably one that we can have the ceremony at as well.  I would love something modern and contemporary that will look great in photos but the problem is that my fiance's family and my family are very food oriented.  They're all 100% Italian and long after weddings have come and gone the one topic is the food - was it plentiful enough, tasty, etc.  I want a delicious meal but I have so many other factors to consider - the majority of people are going to be coming in from out of town so we would like it to be in downtown or the east side neighborhoods as my fiance's family lives out in Bainbridge and some of the family members have a hard time getting around due to illness so we don't want them to be driving too far and then if it's downtown it will be easier to reserve blocks of hotel rooms for the out of town guests.  The problem is I've only been to Cleveland twice so far and both times we've only ever spent at fiance's family's house - not scoping out wedding venues.  We live 1100 miles away so it's not like I can go to a bunch of venues and tastings, etc - we'll have to narrow it down to four or five places and arrange a tasting weekend or something like that.  I'd love to keep my budget under $120 pp including alcohol.  What are your best ideas including price ranges.  I'm looking for dramatic, pretty space that isn't going to require a ton of floral arrangements, special lighting or things like that to transform it.  Also, a place that has a good selection of linens and nice chairs already so that I can save some budget there as well.  I'm asking for a lot I know but any help at all would be appreciated.  

ETA:  We'll be having about 200 guests and about 100 of them will be from out of town.

Re: Long distance wedding planning in Cleveland - need reception ideas

• Check out the Ballroom at Park Lane Villa just off of University Circle downtown.  It sounds like they might be what you are looking for.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I hear Windows on the River in downtown has good food, I've never eaten there, but I know it's gorgeous and I don't think it would require a lot of extras. 
  • I feel your pain! I currently live 2000 miles away and I am planning a wedding in Cleveland. We went with windows on the river, they have been really easy to work with and most of the stuff is included. They include linens, centerpieces, open bar and even your cake, this has made planning alot easier to not have to coordinate with so many vendors. Its downtown with a great view of the Cleveland skyline and has been great so far!
  • We live in Kansas and our wedding will be on the west side of Cleveland. Thankfully since both of us are from the area and our families still live there, we've had a pretty easy planning experience so far. Good luck! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Went to my FI's cousins' wedding at window's on the river-food and cake were excellent! They have different size rooms for however many you plan to invite (we were in the smallest room, so it was a little packed), but we had a great time. Decor was nice (didn't really stand out to me), but its a great backdrop for pictures.
    They did have cocktail hour outside in late October (it was cold-lol), but I don't know if that was the venue or bride's choice :) Good Luck!
  • I would not recommend anything in downtown cleveland, as parking is scattered, it is not the safest city at nighttime (let's be real people who live here, don't steep them wrong lol) and the drive to any suburb is highway/police
    I recommend Lacentre in Westlake, Michaud's in Strongsville, or Country Lakes in north Royalton. Been to all 3 and LOVE it. beautifuly, not cheap looking.  good food at all.! also, only 20-25 min from cleveland
  • edited May 2012
    Your first choice should be Hillbrook --very convenient to his family, excellent food and service although budget and guest list size might be an issue. Chagrin Valley Raquet Club is worth a look. Might be a little dated in terms of decor Hawthorne Valley Country Club--I've never been there but I've heard good things Landerhaven--very partyhall-ish but they do a zillion weddings and are a good value for the money. I wish I had looked at this a little closer, especially since I was also out of town. Windows on the River--great place for a reception but HORRIBLE for a ceremony. My cousins did both there. The staff was setting the mezzanine during their ceremony--not very elegant clattering of dishes and glasses in the background. However, their reception was great and a good value for the money Bertram Inn--again, a little party hall-ish. My guests stayed here. They were very easy to work with. However, there was an Indian wedding there. Over-the-top beautiful but the place reeked of curry. Make sure there is no Indian wedding and put it in your contract that they won't book one. Barrington--this is where my wedding was. Terrible and skimpy food (and I'm Italian...), everything is extra, they only have chairs for 90 people-you have to rent the rest which of course don't match. I could go on and on....
  • Check out Tanglewood National Golf Club.  This was a private country Club so the course is beautiful as a backdrop - the clubhouse was just renovated, very neutral decor - Taupes and creams, AMAZING chandilers, they have a grande ballroom that will easily hold 200 - I know they have open dates for 2012.  Worth checking out!  It is in BAINBRIDGE - can also do ceremony on site
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards