Offbeat Weddings
Options

Intro and a long vent

Hi everyone,
I am getting married March 25, 2013, on our 8 year anniversary. I think just about everything in our wedding is going to be a little different then what most people would expect. We are getting married on a Monday and having a very small, short, intimate wedding. There will be 24 people including my future husband and I, we are having a dinner with a quick ceremony right before.

The next part is just a long vent, it has no other purpose then for me to get this out without having to make my future husband listen to me complaining again. There is no question or anything and I won't feel bad if you don't read it, like I would know if you read it anyways.

My vent is all about my mother, she is not happy and she has made this well known.
She upset that it is not going to be held in a church, she is upset about the venue, the food, the possibility that there may not be flowers. 
Her favorite part to hate is the guest list, as I said before very small 24 people. Future husband and I, my parents, his parents, my siblings and their dates, his siblings and their dates, both of our nephews. My Nan and Pop, my other Pop and my aunt, another aunt and her date; Matt is also inviting his uncle and his date, since he doesn't have any grandparents left. Moms upset because its not nice of me not to invite the rest of her siblings there is only another 3 and my dad only has 2 siblings who I should invite. I try to gently remind her that Matt parents also have about a dozen siblings and then I would have to invite all of them too and that we are trying to keep it very small. Mom thinks its only about money (though I have tried to explain to her that not the only reason) her solution is I should invite everyone and just tell them if they want to come they have to pay for their own dinner... WTF??? 
While its great not to have to spend a fortune on a reception for a 100+ guests, money is not even the main reason why these people are not being invited. I have a few anxiety issues, a big one dealing with social anxiety and I don't need that extra stress. I would like to enjoy my wedding which I know will not happen if its a large production, I don't even enjoy going to other peoples wedding there is just way to many people and its awkward. Also I HATE one of moms sisters, just guessing but probably because she loved to insult me to my face, complain about my family and basically tell everyone how much better she and her perfect (stupid, slutty, booze loving) children are then everyone else. Then there is a couple of aunts and uncles I just don't care for and others that I don't speak to (through they live within a 20 minute drive) so I just don't see any point to invite them.
I find myself regretting planning anything, like we should have just gone and done it ourselves. Now what really makes me sad is mom would rather I cancel our current plans and that I just get married when we leave the country to go on our honeymoon. It hurts that my own mother would rather not have the chance to be there when I get married then have to put up with the fact I am not having the wedding she wants me too. And yes I am quite sure that certain family members are talking about how they are not invited, but I told mom if anyone asks her about it she can just tell them to call me about it.

Reading this I feel like mom might be being shown in a bad light, I know she is trying she went to look at dresses with me, she wants to pay for everything, she is making us wine because she can't buy what she wants us to have even though I told her I don't want it and she's not permitted to bring it into the venue, she keeps picking out thing shes going to get as favors, etc. She has just also been very vocal on what we are doing wrong and how she wants things to be.

Sorry again I know its long and if anyone got this far thank you, I just needed some place to vent because I know listening to this upsets Matt too.

Re: Intro and a long vent

• Options
    Mary, I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

I just typed up a similar rant but deleted it - not wanting to debut on this board with a rant, but then I read yours and felt much better.  My main problem is my dad and his demands.  My dad hates weddings - he compains about them all the time.  I wanted to have a tiny wedding (16 people) and he told me it was selfish.  We caved to his guestlist.  The problem is that once you've got a big guestlist, you've signed up for all the crazy that goes with it.  The reception venue thinks I need an extra room in case I need to touch up my makeup or store my purse.  It costs $500.00.  I tried on gowns yesterday - they are beautiful, but I can't buy a dress like thast - I just can't get myself to do it.  To me, the whole thing seems so decadent.  I am a down-to-earth gal and my fiance and I are both anxious about being the center of attention that day.  We're really struggling with the process.  I want to love wedding planning, but I just want everyone to back off and let me do it my way.  Of course, my dad feels that is selfish. 

And money is a big part of it for me.  We have money to spend, but a wedding isn't how we want to spend it.  My dad is helping, but it won't be enough to cover his guest list.  Just frustrating.

End rant.

Hang in there, Mary!  We'll make it!
  • Options
    I'm sorry Mary and Tina! Its no fun when you cannot bring your vision to life due to the ones close to you.

Have to tried sitting them down and just having a reasonable chat with them? Explain why you want the wedding this way and how it would affect you if it was different. With them being your family I assume they know about your anxiety issues. If you make that the main reason to them (which it seems like it truly is the main reason) then they should understand.

With that said, with money comes say in the wedding. If they are contributing anything they do have a right to provide their imput. Maybe you could let them know what areas you would love them to help with - stuff that isn't as big of a deal to you. Maybe you don't care as much about the centerpieces or the appetizers. Let them be in charge or that stuff (with you of course.)

In the end it sounds like both parents just want their daughters to have the day that they always dreamed of for them. I know my dad has an image of my wedding ha ha. I would tell them how much you appreciate that they want to be involved in such a special time in your lives. A lot of people would feel lucky to have such caring (even if it's a little backwards lol) parents. In the end they just want to be involved and for you to have a fabulous day :)
  • Options
    Oh! Welcome! haha
  • Options

Hi Tina, I feel better too knowing I am not the only on feeling pressured by a parents dream for my wedding.

I understand that this day is important for my mother, I am the first of her three children to get married and the only one who looks like will get married anytime in the near future. Thats why I am trying to include her in the wedding plans. I have taken her dress shopping, to a wedding show, showing her the favors and decoration I have picked out. But I know I have to stand firm on the important aspects, this is mine and Matthew's wedding and at the end of the day we have to be the ones who are happy with it. I am lucky that I do have support from one of my aunts and my dad who are doing their best to try to rein mom in and all the other guests including my future in-laws seem to support out choices.

I know with mom there have been a few compromises along the way. She is now paying for my dress; Matt and I want to pay for our wedding ourselves, we don't want anyone in either of our family to take on any financial burden. But apparently paying for the dress was something very important to her, she got very upset when I told her I didn't need or want her (and dad) to pay for the dress so eventually I just had to give in and say thank you. I have stopped fighting her plan to give out personalized bottles of wine as a favor, she has my poor dad researching how to make wine and buying the supplies. Hey if she wants to put in that work and money knowing she may have to stand in the parking lot handing them out, well I don't have the energy to fight this anymore. I am also fairly certain she will be getting flowers for the wedding, but they are going to be inexpensive ones that my sister and I will put together.

I hope that you and your dad can come to some kind of a happy medium too, but that you can hold fast on those things that are truly important to you. That what I am trying to do.
    Good luck.

• Options
    To all the family drama going on with you ladies. A big hug. I've been there. I"m on my second marriage, but first wedding. My family is meddlesome, my family sounds like your family. I have not told them I am getting married. I will tell them when I have all my arrangements made. Boundries are important, this is the start of your life. Again YOUR LIFE. You have to just grin, nod at them and then do what you want. Say thanks but no thanks. And most of all enjoy your day.
  • Options
    Welcome to the board!

So sorry to hear you're dealing with the family issues.  I thank God every day that our families are laidback and letting us plan our wedding. If you ever need to vent, you've got a willing ear here.  Good luck!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Welcome, good luck, and your tiny intimate weddings sound wonderful to me. 
  • Options
    I am sorry that you're both having to go through with this, but also completely understand! We had family members that we were really close to threaten not to come over some of the choices we made. We stuck to our guns, explained to them why it was important to us and at the end of the day everything worked out great. Don't get me wrong, we definitely made some compromises too, but they were things that I wasn't totally sold on, I was clear what my sticking points were!
  • Options
    ksblumbksblumb member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2012
    My FI and I are getting married January 2013 and having a similar intimate ceremomy... Just a short ceremony (10-15) minutes followed by supper (no dj, dancing, tradional stuff, etc....).

It was definitely hard to convince people at first. In terms of our parents, it was 'what about this cousin? That friend? You were in this persons wedding when you were 4!"... My uncle is a preist so not doing in the chruch caused issues and he may not even come... FI's grandma may not come because we didnt ask her opinion of our plans before finalizing them... I could go on and on.

If people wanted to throw a fit, this is what we told them...
    It is OUR wedding. We are not big party people, neither of us like it, so why would we do it on our wedding day? We have been together for EIGHT years, and we want to share our day with people that have shown us love and support from the very beginning, who have been with us every step of the way. We adore our families and so thats who we want to surround us as we start this journey.

Honestly, not one of them said anything after we explained it. Everyone has been very supportive and seems very happy with the concept. The way I see it is if they are too selfish to put aside their preferences for one day to come support us, then they arent people that we want to be there anyway. It sucks because obviously I would love my uncle to be there with us, but if he doesn't want to be then I can't change that.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I posted my vent with a question in another thread, but I'd love to hear if you gals have gotten any of your family members issues solved in a good/mutually happy sort of way and how you managed to have that convo with them. I'm getting ready to sit down with my folks on saturday to lay it out and i'd love for some suggestions on do's/don'ts (I'm trying to not be a bridezilla to a father who's literally paid for everything for me, 6 yrs of college completely out of pocket almost directly followed by wedding planning)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards