Moms and Maids

OMG... Genius.

Well, I thought it was... I'm sure someone else thought of it first but just in case, I'll tell ya!
Tonight I created a "Bridesmaid" group on facebook, where I will keep them updated and they can keep me updated. :D
Lilypie - (pZmO)

Daisypath - (m6Pg)

Re: OMG... Genius.

• Maybe they can help me stay motivated to keep excersizing and eating right too. :P
    Lilypie - (pZmO)

Daisypath - (m6Pg)
  • Sounds like overkill to me since I've never been in a wedding where logistics couldn't be worked out in a few quick emails, but I guess whatever works for you?
  • I know you are excited and all, but your wedding is well over a  year away.  This could easily turn into something that is overkill as pp mentioned.  Your BM's don't need to know every move you make wedding wise and many a bride's overkill has resulted in many an unenthused bridesmaid.  Like I said, I know you are excited, but be careful.  No one will be as excited about your wedding as you and FI.
  • well they wont know every move I make, I mostly plan to use it for deciding dresses. They will all get to choose their own but I'd like to to be coordinating so they can pow-wow. Also, my 4 bridesmaids don't all know each other. It will be a good oppertunity for them to get to know each other. :D If it becomes an issue I can just delete the group.
    Lilypie - (pZmO)

Daisypath - (m6Pg)
  • If that's how you cannot best reach them I say go for it. There's been just as much "drama" created through email with my BMs. I put that in quotes because its really just lack of understanding because it can be hard to decipher things through email especially when people have never met and have different communication styles. Make it a private group and it shouldn't be a problem. Then you aren't clogging their inboxes and they can check it as they wish.
  • Why do your bridesmaids have to get to know each other?  Mine met at the bachelorette party and then saw each other again at the wedding.  The ones that hung out before my wedding, still do, and the ones that didn't, don't. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_omg-genius?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:ff387a61-6051-4ed8-97f6-6cd77d171566Post:8323a7f5-3569-4f4d-ab6b-037833d60f32">Re: OMG... Genius.</a>:
    [QUOTE]1.  This is definitely overkill and really impersonalizes the whole thing. 2.<strong>  Nothing good EVER comes from combining FB and weddings.
    </strong>Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

<strong><font color="#ff0000"><em><u><div align="center"><strong><font color="#ff0000"><em><u>Nothing good EVER comes from combining FB and weddings.
    </u></em></font></strong></div></u></em></font></strong>
    (Just thought this one needed to be emphasized a bit.)
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Ehh. I did this, I think it is a good idea, and it is working totally fine. If you don't have drama friends, you won't have drama bridesmaids. Honestly, it isn't different from using email.  I think I have posted one thing about dresses, so it isn't overkill if you just don't attack them with extraneous information.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My thing is, if you only have to contact them once or twice for dress info, why have a group? That can easily be done via e-mail or personal phone calls. I do think a FB group is overkill and sets a kind of tone over the whole thing. If my friend, a bride, asked me to join a Bridesmaid group over a year out from the wedding, I would immediately get the impression she will be overzealous the entire planning process, whether that is true or not. It would put a bad taste in my mouth.

Also, BMs don't have to get to know each other or become friends. The weddings I've been in, many times I have only known the bride. If I was part of a BM group, I would feel pressure to socialize with the other BMs, which should not be the case at all. Just things to think about.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_omg-genius?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:ff387a61-6051-4ed8-97f6-6cd77d171566Post:16f588b8-9148-4566-8d83-e89d35af7253">Re: OMG... Genius.</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>well they wont know every move I make</strong>, I mostly plan to use it for deciding dresses. They will all get to choose their own but I'd like to to be coordinating so they can pow-wow. Also, my 4 bridesmaids don't all know each other. It will be a good oppertunity for them to get to know each other. :D If it becomes an issue I can just delete the group.
    Posted by Cgelske[/QUOTE]

And they probably don't want to know about every move you make. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_omg-genius?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:ff387a61-6051-4ed8-97f6-6cd77d171566Post:9414ae1a-1aea-4221-87d1-826176e1ecf8">Re: OMG... Genius.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: OMG... Genius. : Nothing good EVER comes from combining FB and weddings. (Just thought this one needed to be emphasized a bit.)
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>This. I'm in a wedding party that has a facebook group. It was good at first, because I don't know any of the other maids well, and no one wants to give me contact info. It was great until the Stage, and nothing went as the bride dreamed it would and instead of calling us, she posted it for all of us to see. I should mention she called out two girls as being lazy, one for not volunteering to do enough, one for should have knowing better and two as being wonderful for doing everything she expected and more and that those two shouldn't have had to do that. Because calling was too much work. Just be careful. Don't be bridezilla and freak out over facebook for something that didn't meet your standards that still went right anyway.</div>
  • I did this and it has been great. I used it to share pictures of dresses, to get their opinions of things or to share other wedding related thoughts I didn't want to share with all of FB. My bm have all become friends; they're cool girls, why wouldn't they?  My MOH is also getting married, and she did the same thing- creaded a private group on fb. Its easier than texting or emailing multiple people. We can check the fb group at our leisure.
  • I think it is a genius idea. I know that it helps keep people up to date on things and lets the BMs plan things(like the bachelorette party or bridal shower) without having to call the bride to get a phone number or email for an other BM. Not everyone is on the same schedule and when the bride is off of work, her BMs might be working or on vacation. She could post something, when they have a free moment, check it out. BMs dont have to become friends post a wedding but they should at least know each other before they start asking each other for money for bridal showers(if they host it) or bachelorette parties(again if they are hosting).
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • Agreed, I started one and could set it up so the maids could vote on my top 4 favorite dresses. I have 11 maids and nothing bad had come from it yet. My MOH absolutely loves it, especially since I have maids all over, not just in town. It's really nice and actually pretty fun :
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards