Chit Chat
Options

Wedding Night- stay at beach house with family & friends?

We are having a beach wedding and have rented a large beach house to have the reception at and also for our family and wedding party (plus SO's) to stay at for the weekend. As of right now, the plan is that FI and I will have one of the master bedrooms in this house. But I was thinking- is it weird to stay there with our family and friends the night of our wedding? I am considering getting a hotel room for that one night, but then we would be coming back to the beach house for the next night bc we are not leaving for our honeymoon until we return home from the beach.
I guess I want to know has anyone else done this or is it just that strange?
What would you do if this was your situation, spend additional money and get a hotel room for wedding night or just stay in the house that has plenty of room and is already payed for?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary

Re: Wedding Night- stay at beach house with family & friends?

• Options
    I would personally opt for a hotel room that night. For so so so many reasons.
  • Options
    hellebhelleb member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I guess it just depends on your comfort level.  If you are comfortable having your family there on your wedding night thats great.  I don't think its wierd at all.  If you aren't so comfortable thats fine too.

We are looking to do something similar. We are still looking at places to rent.  We are looking for someplace with enough space so that we aren't all falling over each other and we can still get privacy when we want it.  Our immediate family is only invited to stay the night so ~20 ppl.  We don't feel its wierd but we have also been living together so we are more excited about spending time with our families and having some quiet time in our room.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_wedding-night-stay-at-beach-house-with-family-friends?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:c17433ae-7139-4859-823c-15f9aaa35443Post:c5c28d75-7470-4ae7-a262-12f082ed5e72">Re: Wedding Night- stay at beach house with family & friends?</a>:
    [QUOTE]That sounds like fun.  Picture it now.  You're banging and getting kind of loud and all of a sudden you hear <strong>FMIL banging on the door "KEEP IT DOWN IN THERE YOU TWO!"
    </strong>Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]

haha..our wedding day is also FMIL/FFIL's anniversary so you never know, it may be the other way around!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_wedding-night-stay-at-beach-house-with-family-friends?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:c17433ae-7139-4859-823c-15f9aaa35443Post:992577f4-7301-4fa2-ae1e-b8bf4fe8ece5">Re: Wedding Night- stay at beach house with family & friends?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I guess it just depends on your comfort level.  If you are comfortable having your family there on your wedding night thats great.  I don't think its wierd at all.  If you aren't so comfortable thats fine too. We are looking to do something similar. We are still looking at places to rent.  We are looking for someplace with enough space so that we aren't all falling over each other and we can still get privacy when we want it.  Our immediate family is only invited to stay the night so ~20 ppl.  We don't feel its wierd but we have also been living together so we are more excited about spending time with our families and having some quiet time in our room.
    Posted by helleb[/QUOTE]

I think FI and I would be comfortable enough..we also already live together and are looking forward to time with family and friends. I Just didnt know if that situation was completely wrong..I've already had one of my BM's ask me about it and I really don't want other people coming up and asking about our plans for that night.
  • Options
    My MOH got married at a Bed and Breakfast, and they stayed in the master, and the whole bridal party and family stayed the night too. It is just a big house, and it was not wierd at all. Just make sure you have music playing to drown out the ***Winknoise lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_wedding-night-stay-at-beach-house-with-family-friends?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:c17433ae-7139-4859-823c-15f9aaa35443Post:30f1ee78-3652-433a-8139-41e5597a478f">Re: Wedding Night- stay at beach house with family & friends?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Night- stay at beach house with family & friends? : Just make sure it's not Marvin Gaye or something else that will give away what you're doing in there.
    Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]

Sexual Healing. They'll have no idea.
  • Options
    SB1512SB1512 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    What time is your reception over?  Most of my friends did 7pm-12am receptions for their weddings and didn't consumate the marriage on their wedding night because they were too tired and passed out as soon as they hit the pillow.  So it wouldn't have mattered if they were in a hotel away from family or friends or staying somewhere and parents were right in the next room.
  • Options
    We rented out a B&B and had our families staying there.  It was fine.  Despite all the romantic vision of your wedding night, if you are like most people, you will just be sleeping because of exhaustion.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    ZonkaghoopZonkaghoop member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_wedding-night-stay-at-beach-house-with-family-friends?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:c17433ae-7139-4859-823c-15f9aaa35443Post:16395124-3324-4f5d-901a-bfcea9de43f5">Re: Wedding Night- stay at beach house with family & friends?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What time is your reception over?  Most of my friends did 7pm-12am receptions for their weddings and didn't consumate the marriage on their wedding night because they were too tired and passed out as soon as they hit the pillow.  So it wouldn't have mattered if they were in a hotel away from family or friends or staying somewhere and parents were right in the next room.
    Posted by SB1512[/QUOTE]

Since the reception is at the house where most everyone will be staying, I'm not really sure- probably just whenever people start getting tired and leaving/heading to their rooms.
    We'll have to figure it out I guess. I feel a little better about staying in the house with everyone else since others have done this and it doesn't appear to be 'wrong'. It's not like we're going to be bothered. And the music is a good idea :)
  • Options
    Or just be good until the honeymoon and go right to sleep that night.
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2012
    We also had a rented beach house with family.  We stayed there that night.   It was fine.  NBD. The next morning we woke up early and went and got Dunkin Donuts for everyone.

Funny enough everyone else thought it was weird.   

ETA - our house was more beautiful than any hotel around that area.  We didn't see the point in paying for a room when we had a fanastic house to stay in that was already paid for.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Totally agree with Lucy and Stage.
    Your HM begins when the reception is over, and everybody knows it.
    You and FI need to separate from the family for that night and the next night too.
    You are a newly-married couple and no one wants to wonder what that noise was or if the TV will distract you.
  • Options
    I was recently in a wedding and we all stayed in a beach house, including the newlyweds on their wedding night.  It was not awkward at all.  It was nice to wake up and all be together the next morning, and recap the wedding.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards