Outdoor Weddings
Options

I need opinions please!

We're having an outdoor wedding at the end of June.  It's at a beautiful location with wonderful gardens, a house for some cool air and a tent that we're having our reception in. We're going to have 25 kids at our wedding ranging in age from 1-13.  We are both okay with that.  This weekend my fiance  suggested we get a babysitter for the younger kids so that they can take naps in the house.  He wants the sitter for ONLY that reason, not for any older kids (3-7) to be watched.  I'm not a big fan of this idea.  I don't want a babysitter to begin with.  I think the parents should be responsible for their own children.  I hope I don't sound harsh.  I know a bit about kids, I teach first grade.  I know that most kids aren't going to nap during a wedding when things are going on.  I also know that if they do get sleepy they are going to fall asleep on their mom, whereever they are.  Most kids aren't likely to go take a nap with a stranger.  I'm also worried about liability issues if something happens. I know it most likely won't, but still.  I also think if we are going to provide a sitter it should be for all the kids, not just a few nappers.  I welcome opinions, and please if you had a sitter at your outdoor wedding I'd be interested to hear what you did. TIA!!
Anniversary BFP: 3/5/13 EDD: 11/14/13 BabyFruit Ticker

Re: I need opinions please!

• Options
    Ok, it looks like my post didn't make it.  Here's the whole bit in a shortened version.  We're having an outdoor wedding at the end of June in Tennessee. There is a house with a/c that we can use. My fiance wants to hire a babysitter to watch just young (1-3 year olds) who want to take a nap.  I don't want to do this for multiple reasons.  1. I think if we have a babysitter it should be for all children. 2.  I think the parents should watch their own children. 3.  Most young kids will not go down for a nap with a complete stranger. 4. We're only going to have like 5 toddlers. 5. They probably won't take a nap anyway.  6.  If they do take a nap it'll probably be on their mom at the reception area.  7.  Being a teacher I'm always worried about liability.  I would love any opinions you guys may have, especially if you hired a babysitter I'm interested to hear how it turned out. TIA!
  • Options
    I agree. Parents should watch their own children.  I would not provide a babysitter for the same reasons you have mentioned.
  • Options
    i have alot of kids coming to my wedding also, we have decided to do a chill room for the kids, with a movie playing if they need some quite time. im going to bring some toys and have a sitter supervise. i agree they wont be napping but it will get them out of the way if need be. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 'Do what you Love and Love what you DO' visit my blog http://weddingnonsence.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    I think the moms should watch their own kids. You should not have to worry about this issue.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am hiring a kid wrangler because I want my guests to be able to enjoy themselves. Will they still watch their kids? Of course, but if their kids want to pop into the kid area to play/nap/watch a movie then great. When my child was young he would nap when it ws naptime- he wanted a bed, his lovey and to sleep no matter where we were. If you have it in the budget I think it would be a nice extra for your guests. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Parents should watch their own children. And my 10 month old grandson had no problem napping at our reception.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I saw this idea on pinterest: A kids craft table! Its not like you guys are going to be there 24 hours! You only need to keep these kids occupied for 5-6 hours!

I definitely think a sitter is a good idea though.. for ALL the kids, in a designated room. We only have 3 kids attending ours and theyre in the bridal party..  so I feel for ya... :-/

Good luck!
  • Options
    A sitter is a nice gesture, but whether or not you hired one, if I didn't know her, I wouldn't leave my kids with her. I I think many of my friends and family feel the same way. If you want to hire one, talk with the parents of the children and see if they'd even feel comfortable with it.
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I like alot of your ideas.  The only issue with the separate room is we don't have one.  There are suites in the house, but only the bridal party are allowed up there. They have an attendant keeping people out of those areas.  The guests will be allowed in a common foyer area with seating, but not really a great space to put kids.  Hmm...I guess we will have to ponder some more. Honestly, most of the kids coming to our wedding are in the 5-13 age range.
  • Options
    It is like us we will be watching ours. Parents will have to watch their own.

• Options
    I would not leave my child with a sitter I didn't know. It is also really annoying when people say they want their guests to have a good time so they need a sitter. Having your child present =/= not having a good time. I would not worry about providing a sitter. If parents don't want to have their kids with them, for whatever reason, they will make their own arrangements.
  • Options
    I'm also having wedding the end of June in TN!  The kids at our wedding are each getting a "goodie" bag filled w/ little toys and candies, things to occupy them even though we'll be outside at a local park.  Having two kids of my own, I wouldn't have left them w/ a sitter if they were under 5 any way.  I do like the idea of a kid Wrangler, someone to have cool ideas of fun things to do for the kids.  As a parent I know that something like that, where I could still see them, would be nice, not because I don't want them with me, but I would want them to have fun too!
  • Options

I think it's a great idea to provide a sitter for all the children.  Then leave it to the discresion of the parents, whether they want to use the service.  Having the older children with the younger one will releive the minds of some parents, if they don't know the sitter.  This is a great way for the adults to actually get to enjoy a lot of the wedding and reception.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards