DC

NWR: Moving to MD soon....

WGachesWGaches member
First Comment
Hello ladies,
I am a fellow knottie (Alabama) but have an odd request. I'll be moving to Maryland 4 days after my wedding to start my PhD at UMD College Park. FI and I have been looking online at different towns for housing, but you can't see much on the internet. I'm not opposed to a 30-45 minute commute, but do you ladies have any advice on where to look, or maybe where to stay away? Thanks so much!

*Jeremiah 29:11* SoyFreeBlog

Re: NWR: Moving to MD soon....

• edited December 2011

Obviously there are nice places everywhere and not-so-nice places everywhere, but if you can the general rule would be to stay out of Prince George's County.

There are decent places in Silver Spring, Rockville, Bethesda...

226 Invitedimage 153 Are Ready to Partyimage 68 Are Washing Their Hairimage 5 Better Not Make Me Hunt Them Downimage RSVP Date: June 15
    July 10, 2010
    imageimage
    Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I live in DC however, don't believe the hype because there are some nice areas in Prince Geroge's county.  Also their are nice areas around the school.  It will be hard to really find things on the net.  I relocated from NY and I had to cut out a week to find a place in the District.  I'm about 15mins away form College Park so dont rule out DC when looking for a place.  I wouldn't recommend Virginia only because you will be fighting traffic everyday to get form VA to MD.  Good luck 
  • WGachesWGaches member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies. I'm definitely not going to find anything online; FI and I are taking a trip up in a few weeks to look, I just needed some type of foundation to know where to begin looking...thanks!
    *Jeremiah 29:11* SoyFreeBlog
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with a PP - Rockville, Silver Spring or Bethesda would be good places to start looking.  You'll have close metro access in any of these areas.  There's a lot more going on in Bethesda and Silver Spring, but you'll pay a lot more (generally) to live in either of those places compared to Rockville.

I don't doubt there are nice areas in PG County, but I would try to stay away if you can avoid it.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • tmjacksontmjackson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've actually lived in PG County for much of my life, so I can say there are plenty of nice places to live close to UMD. 

The best areas to try CLOSEST to the university are University Park (which sits right off the campus) and the new Arts District of Riverdale (which is less than five miles down the road).  Both are pretty small enclaves.  University Park has older homes but it's a hidden upscale community.  When I was looking at homes several years ago, the median price for a single family home was about $440K.  The Arts District is a little newer, and features renovated loft spaces and townhomes.  I think the median price there is about $300K.  I'm less sure of the apartment housing in the area, but there is a community right off of 495 and Route1 that's about three miles from the campus called Post Park.  It's relatively new and has a "town center" feel to it.  Some other communities to check in PG County include the Bowie/Mitchellville areas.

If you're really interested in apartments, there is a community in Silver Spring called Montclair.  It sits off the main thoroughfare, but it is a lovely place to live.  My sister rented there for a number of years.  She only moved out to save money to purchase her own place. 

Also, you should check the Laurel area in Howard County and maybe even Columbia. 

Good luck with your search.
  • razdazzlerazdazzle member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live in Silver Spring, MD - Fi is in grad school at UMD.  I really like living in Silver Spring and it is an easy commute for both of us - him to college park and me to DC.  I would highly recommend looking in Silver Spring - where is your FI going to work?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards