Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Bachelorette party / Bridal Shower $$$ Question

I'm the MOH and the bride would like to have her bridal shower and bachelorette party on the same weekend.  We are renting a cottage in southwest michigan, going wine tasting (with a hired driver)and having a ladies lunch for the shower.  Then hitting up local bars for the bachelorette party. I'm more than happy to pay for the shower lunch but how do I ask guests to chip in for the cottage and limo? The majority of the guests are girls I don't know and I can 't afford to pay for everything.  I know usually all the bridesmaids pitch in but only 2 are attending.  Help!!

Re: Bachelorette party / Bridal Shower $$$ Question

• Options
    scpalmtree06scpalmtree06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the simple answer is simply to not ask anyone to pitch in and plan a shower and bachelorette party that is less expensive.  Who made up these plans without figuring out how it would all be paid for?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you want people to pitch in your need to include them in the planning, all agree on what you are doing, and all agree on what the budget is. You can't just plan something based on you budget then ask everyone to pay up.

So you either pay for the whole cottage trip yourself or you start over with "hey guys, I wanted to talk about X's b-party, I was thinking that doing XYZ might be nice, but I didn't know everyone's budget. Does this work or do you have any other ideas?" And you need to be open to said ideas.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    any bacholar/ette party ive ever heard of been to always asked people to help out with the boat or hotel etc. Just ask. its probably a circle thing. in minbe i would expect it
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am a Bridesmaid in a Wedding in Aug. and the MOH planned it all and is getting back to us with the price. Since we are only splitting a party bus, I am not upset or stressed. But If it was a whole day event like you mentioned I would be very stressed about how I would pay for it. Although it sounds like tons of fun it may be too much for some to afford- since it sounds like it will add up (a cottage alone sounds $$$$) and depending on the # of guests could be very spendy.
  • Options
    vickivail98vickivail98 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Especially in Michigan all attendees of a b-party, especially a great weekend one, would expect to chip in a little.  I think you will be surprised how many friends will choose to attend (and pay up). The shower part is sort of unusual, but I think if these people care about the bride, they will enjoy it.  I think this sounds like a great idea, good luck!
  • Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    For my sister's wedding recently, we did the bridal shower/bachelorette party on the same day too because she lived about 2 hours away and all her bridesmaids/family were here.  All the bridesmaids split everything equally, but we made sure to talk about how much we were wanting to spend (not much).  I personally would've been pretty upset if her MOH planned an expensive trip then wanted me to pitch in, especially having no say in the planning. I think if you are wanting to plan something above and beyond most people's price ranges, you can't expect them to pitch in too much.  It is possible to have a really good time and not waste a lot of money.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards