New York-Upstate

Casual DIY Wedding on the lake

Hello! My fiance and I are looking into renting a large house on the lake with lots of outdoor space to hold a small wedding and reception after (about 75 people). We're going to have it catered, rent chairs for the ceremony and a tent/tables for the reception and it will be a casual picnic/party. Has anyone ever done anything like this? I need some pointers! I'm worried that without someone there coordinating (like there would be at a traditional reception venue), it will be a big unorganized mess! What about music? Is it acceptable to use my ipod for music? And is playing the wedding march through an ipod dock acceptable for walking down the isle? I just don't want this to be cheesy! Thanks so much for all your ideas/opinions!

Re: Casual DIY Wedding on the lake

• edited April 2012
    Hello! My fiance and I are looking into renting a large house on the lake with lots of outdoor space to hold a small wedding and reception after (about 75 people). We're going to have it catered, rent chairs for the ceremony and a tent/tables for the reception and it will be a casual picnic/party. Has anyone ever done anything like this? I need some pointers! I'm worried that without someone there coordinating (like there would be at a traditional reception venue), it will be a big unorganized mess! What about music? Is it acceptable to use my ipod for music? And is playing the wedding march through an ipod dock acceptable for walking down the isle? I just don't want this to be cheesy! Thanks so much for all your ideas/opinions!
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2012
    Try your Local Boards.....

<-----------------------

• Hi Sarah,

I was recently married on Seneca Lake in a more traditional setting but still did lots of the details (large and small!) myself.  The type of you event you are planning requires a lot more work on your part but its totally doable :) You just want to save in the right places - like I personally think iPod for the reception part is great but maybe you want to hire a solo instrumentalist for a reasonable price for your walk down the aisle? 

I do day-off coordination on the side and recently planned a morning after brunch at the bride's parents lake house for about 50 people - very much like what you are thinking.  I would be happy to help if you are interested!  Molly
    http://fingerlakes.craigslist.org/evs/2990071745.html
  • Which lake are you getting married on?  I do inexpensive Dj services.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards