Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Orlando fl??

So we have decided to save our money so we can go on a very nice vacation.. we have decided we would like to go to Orlando. But is goin to disney and universal studios cheesy for a honeymoon?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Orlando fl??

• Options
    That's exactly what we did. The wedding industry makes you think that you need this big, beautiful, once in a lifetime trip. It's not true. Do something you want and can afford.
  • Options
    Yes it does.. did u guys go to dinsey?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It doesn't have to be corney. But realize that Orlando is expensive. You might spend less going on a traditional honeymoon.

If you actually want to do Orlando for your honeymoon then absolutely. I am a huge fan of Disney/Harry Potter so I was in heaven there. Plus there is so much to do. But if you are broke and doing it on a budget it might be hard. Everything there is really expensive from tickets to the theme parks to dinner, activities rental cars, parking, etc.

Universal Studios - You can do both parks in the same day probably.
    Disney World - Give yourself at least two days.
    Plus an extra day or two to explore and do other things. Maybe go to the beach or anything else you might want to do.

When we were in Orlando we went to this great mystery dinner theatre that was absolutely amazing.

We stayed about 3-4 miles away from the resorts so we did get a rental car. But they charge an arm and a leg just to park at the parks. I think it was like $15 a day for Disney and Universal. Add on top of that the cost of the parks which is usually close to $100 per day. We thought it was worth it to get the park hopper and it ended up being very worth it. We went to all four parks in one day. I probably could have spent all day at Magic Kingdom. They used to give you a pin for being there on your honeymoon too. So you can talk to someone at the guest services. If you are going and want to do a dinner at any of the restaurants be sure to make your reservations as soon as possible. They fill up fast, especially the character restaurants. I think they allow reservations 6 months in advance.

Be sure that is what you want though! If you are open to other ideas you should let us know your budget and what you would like to do and we can try and help you. There is a lot of options for almost every budget!

• Options
    We are open to anything really. Were willing to spend around 3000. We were going to do a cruise. Then after my fl heard about carnival he isn't so sure. So then we thought maybe an all inclusive resort. But were not sure. We said Orlando bc we've both been there n liked it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Orlando fl??:[QUOTE]We are open to anything really. Were willing to spend around 3000. We were going to do a cruise. Then after my fl heard about carnival he isn't so sure. So then we thought maybe an all inclusive resort. But were not sure. We said Orlando bc we've both been there n liked it. Posted by jessi3617[/QUOTE]

If you want to do it on 3000, I would highly recommend just going to Disney and staying on property. They will pick you up from the airport for free and bus you around the whole property. That way you don't have to rent a car or pay for parking.

I also agree with PP that said the park hopper is definitely worth it.

Also, some grocery stores will deliver groceries to your room, so you can save a bit on food. You'd have to do some research on that though.
  • Options
    You have a lot of opportunity with $3000. Youl could do a great All Inclusive Resort in Mexico, Dominican Republic or Jamaica. Or like you said you could do a cruise. I wouldn't worry too much about the Carnival cruise issue. Every day there are hundreds of cruises traveling all over the world. Every once in a while there is bound to be a small mistake but completely nixing one form of vacation because something might happen is a bit silly. It is kind of like saying you can't go to Orlando because Hurricane Charley hit it in 2004. You should see the post a couple down from here, we were just talking about how silly it is for someone to say "I won't' go on a cruise because of Carnival!"

Personally I think you are choosing Orlando for the wrong reasons, but my opinion will not matter in the long run. It is your destination and your honeymoon. But you do have a decent budget and you could do so many things. Do you really want to go to Orlando again? And is that really your dream honeymoon?

• Options
    Your honeymoon can be whatever you want it to be!

FI and I LOVE Orlando, and we might have gone there, but decided on California.  But we're still going to Disney and Universal in Cali because we're big geeks and love that stuff! 

We're doing lots of other things too, but I don't think it's cheesy to go to theme parks for your honeymoon!  Whatever you think is fun!

SaveSave
  • Options
    Living in Orlando and having an annual pass to Universal, I can tell you that there are many couples on their honeymoon in our city.  It is not cheesy if it is someplace you want to visit.  There are great places to visit outside of the Disney area--International Drive, the outlet malls, downtown Orlando around the Lake Eola area is beautiful and they have Swan peddle boats that you can take out on the lake.  Very romantic.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • Options
    Look into the Swan and Dolphin Hotel - you can come out the back and take a water boat over to the back entrance to DisneyWorld and avoid the lines.

And your time period, the end of April and the beginning of May, is absolutely one of the best times here - weatherwise.  Any later into May it becomes so very hot and humid and stays that way until about October 15.
  • Options
    PP said to look into Swan and Dolphin.. this, IMO, is the BEST way to go.  The hotels are on disney property, and you get all the perks of staying at disneyworld, however you can get AAA prices or Government discounts, etc.  They are Sheraton and Westin hotels.  The only downside is that the magical express does not work for airport transportation, but that is a small price to pay, IMO, when you are saving hundreds on the hotel cost.  Also, I would recommend the Dolphin over the Swan.  I have stayed at both, and although those heavenly beds at the westin (aka Swan) are nice,  there really is no other difference between the two, and the Dolphin can be considerably cheaper.  Hope that helps!! :)
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Orlando fl??:[QUOTE]You have a lot of opportunity with 3000. Youl could do a great All Inclusive Resort in Mexico, Dominican Republic or Jamaica. Or like you said you could do a cruise. I wouldn't worry too much about the Carnival cruise issue. Every day there are hundreds of cruises traveling all over the world. Every once in a while there is bound to be a small mistake but completely nixing one form of vacation because something might happen is a bit silly. It is kind of like saying you can't go to Orlando because Hurricane Charley hit it in 2004. You should see the post a couple down from here, we were just talking about how silly it is for someone to say "I won't' go on a cruise because of Carnival!" Personally I think you are choosing Orlando for the wrong reasons, but my opinion will not matter in the long run. It is your destination and your honeymoon. But you do have a decent budget and you could do so many things. Do you really want to go to Orlando again? And is that really your dream honeymoon? Posted by dazyabbey[/QUOTE

I love cruises and would go on another one in a heartbeat but my fl has never been and isnt so sure he wants to.. We both have been to Orlando. But were very simple not the kind of people.. ive never been go Universal or sea world so we thought that would be cool. Umm we do have over a yr to make a decision.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_orlando-fl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:c2ff5e92-dcbd-448d-93d1-5b546edffa16Post:ca74d018-d344-4cb2-9c6e-c7e12c04dfcd">Re:Orlando fl??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love cruises and would go on another one in a heartbeat but my fl has never been and isnt so sure he wants to.. We both have been to Orlando. But were very simple not the kind of people.. ive never been go Universal or sea world so we thought that would be cool. Umm we do have over a yr to make a decision.
    Posted by jessi3617[/QUOTE]
    Maybe you can convince him.
    Trust me, I am a huge Disney geek. I love Orlando and we went to Disneyland Paris during our honeymoon even though many people think going to Disney when you are in Paris is a waste of time. It was awesome. I love the magic of Disney World. And if you are into Harry Potter the Harry Potter world at Universal Studios is to die for. I just about had a heart attack I was so excited. I got my wand there. :-) It can be magical if you want it to be. And some people think it is silly but it is what you want.

• Options
    I'm going to Orlando!!! It's not cheesy to me. I'm still a kid at heart were staying at a resort.
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2013

Ditto pp Orlando can get very pricey pretty quickly. I live in Orlando, and we avoid the tourist areas as their restaurants, hotels, and activities are much pricier than the surrounding areas. Of course we visit the parks every so often, but we generally stay away from the tourist areas if we're going out as they're much pricier.

Keep in mind that a traditional HM will probably cost less since you're paying for everything all up front for one set cost. If you fly to say Mexico or Aruba and stay at an all-inclusive for one price per person your flights, hotel, food, drinks, and most activities would be taken care of and all set. As for Orlando, you'll have to factor in flights, rental car, hotel stay (hotels in the U.S. tend to be pricier than resorts in Mexico or the Caribbean and they don't even include your meals and drinks), all meals and drinks, and activities.

• Options
    my honeymoon is just to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. I don't want to spend thousands and thousands.. I'm just as happy this way! If you want to do Orlando, do it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards