California-Orange County

Help! Planning a wedding from outside the country!

Hi!

So this is all very new to me but very very exciting!  I have recently gotten engaged and am currently living abroad in the UK.  Since I grew up in Orange county I have always wanted to have my wedding there.  I have plenty of time (2 years) so i am not too worried but I am only in the states maybe once a year, so my time looking for venues is somewhat limited.  I am looking for a venue that will hold up to 250 people and preferably indoor/ outdoor reception area, or even the tent idea.  I really like the garden idea but I am up for anything.. i really just want to have a good time and preferably have a venue that will allow us to stay until 1am or later.  I only need it for the reception as we will most likely be married in a church.  Does anyone have any suggestions as I'm not trying to break the bank on this necessarily.  i will need to book appointments soon as I am going home again and want to get  as many reception venue ideas as possible.  Please help!  I am looking around sounthern california Orange county Area.

Thanks!

Re: Help! Planning a wedding from outside the country!

• e512944e512944 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!

So this is all very new to me but very very exciting!  I have recently gotten engaged and am currently living abroad in the UK.  Since I grew up in Orange county I have always wanted to have my wedding there.  I have plenty of time (2 years) so i am not too worried but I am only in the states maybe once a year, so my time looking for venues is somewhat limited.  I am looking for a venue that will hold up to 250 people and preferably indoor/ outdoor reception area, or even the tent idea.  I really like the garden idea but I am up for anything.. i really just want to have a good time and preferably have a venue that will allow us to stay until 1am or later.  I only need it for the reception as we will most likely be married in a church.  Does anyone have any suggestions as I'm not trying to break the bank on this necessarily.  i will need to book appointments soon as I am going home again and want to get  as many reception venue ideas as possible.  Please help!  I am looking around sounthern california Orange county Area.

Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-orange-county_planning-wedding-outside-country?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:63Discussion:a0c860fe-eb35-4eaa-8bdb-9c739177bb94Post:5246bf56-7672-4215-98c3-5d3fe2e005a0">Help! Planning a wedding from outside the country!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi! So this is all very new to me but very very exciting!  I have recently gotten engaged and am currently living abroad in the UK.  Since I grew up in Orange county I have always wanted to have my wedding there.  I have plenty of time (2 years) so i am not too worried but I am only in the states maybe once a year, so my time looking for venues is somewhat limited.  I am looking for a venue that will hold up to 250 people and preferably indoor/ outdoor reception area, or even the tent idea.  I really like the garden idea but I am up for anything.. i really just want to have a good time and <strong>preferably have a venue that will allow us to stay until 1am or late</strong>r.  I only need it for the reception as we will most likely be married in a church.  Does anyone have any suggestions as I'm not trying to break the bank on this necessarily.  i will need to book appointments soon as I am going home again and want to get  as many reception venue ideas as possible.  Please help!  I am looking around sounthern california Orange county Area. Thanks!
    Posted by e512944[/QUOTE]

I cant think of anywhere that will let you stay until 1am??? POSSIBLY a hotel? OC is the land of closing at 11:00, except for the bars. GOOD LUCK!
  • jenbatjenbat member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've attended, and participated in, many weddings over the past 26 years and have never been to a reception that lasted until 1am.  Unless you have a very late ceremony, I can't imagine what your guests will do at a 6 or 7 hour reception.  Frankly, after 4 hours at a wedding I'm more than done.  I'm guessing that some subset of your 250 guests will think so too. 

Perhaps you need to consider a reception at one location and a smaller after-party for those who are interested at another.  Either way, get out your checkbook because either you're paying for two parties or you're going to go over hours and will have to pay overtime for staffing, room, entertainment, "refreshments", security, cleaning etc.  

Any outdoor setting will also have a curfew for noise restrictions.  

• e512944e512944 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the help,  I have found a few places that will last until about 1 with 6 hour blocks  so ill probably have to go with something like that. 
  • DeannaCWDeannaCW member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    El Adobe in San Juan Capistrano will take bookings for as late as midnight, not sure if they'd be willing to adjust for later or not, but you can always ask!  Also, as a bride who will also be planning from out-of-country for part of it (FI is British, will be living over there for a few months), it is a fantastic choice for all-inclusive, or at least almost all-inclusive! The only thing you would need to bring in would be flowers, cake, and DJ.
  • e512944e512944 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I just have to say, when I read the first  response, I thought, who would say something like that.  Its more than discouraging enough to plan a wedding for this many people outside of the country.  That being said... Irish weddings last until about 6 am, so being that the majority of my guests are Irish, and that I am young, I dont think a 7 hour reception is too much.   I appreciate all the suggestions and have found what i am looking for.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards