Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Ceremony suggestions

I want to do something other than the unity candle/sand ceremony... Indoor June wedding in New Orleans. Ideas?

Re: Ceremony suggestions

• I'm also on the hunt for ideas... I just found these:

I kind of like the tree idea but I'm positive I'd get my dress filthy. Boo :(  Maybe if the tree were mostly planted and we just poured water or something...nourishment...nourishing our relationship, blah blah blah...? 

Or this site:

I'm Irish so I'm also considering the handfasting one...but I also like the one where you nail a box shut with love letters from each of you.  I'd heard one where you open it up on a certain anniversary and another when you have your first huge fight and you're maybe reconsidering if marriage is worth it.  You open it up, drink the wine inside and read the letters reminding you why you got married in the first place.

I'm sick of candles and sand ceremonies...so I'm looking for something different!

• I am leaning towards the hand ceremony Is that what you are talking about with the Irish ceremony? Goes like this... Hand Ceremony Please face each other and take each others hands, so that you may see the gift that they are to you. These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and full of love for you, that are holding yours on your wedding day as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow and forever. These are the hands that will work alongside yours as together you build your future. These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, and with the slightest touch will comfort you like no other. These are the hands that will hold you when fear or grief temporarily comes to you. These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes, tears of sorrow and tears of joy. These are the hands that will give you strength when you need it, support and encouragement to pursue your dreams, and comfort through difficult times. And lastly, these are the hands that even when wrinkled and aged will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch.
  • I'm with you! We want to do something symbolic, but are looking for something other than they unity candle/sand ceremony.

I love the idea of doing a salt covenant. Just give it a Google :) 
  • You do realize that a wedding is a unity ceremony, yes? The candle/sand/whatever is a little redundant. That being said, we chose to take communion together, just the two of us, because it was meaningful to us.
  • I'm with artbyallie. The wedding ceremony IS the unity ceremony. Anything above that is overkill. 
  • In Response to Re:Ceremony suggestions:[QUOTE]You do realize that a wedding isnbsp;a unity ceremony, yes? The candle/sand/whatever is a little redundant. Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

I agree!
  • LDubHawksFanLDubHawksFan member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ceremony-suggestions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:d722dca8-d71b-4258-a4f3-5a1d43bcf21ePost:954e6aa7-268a-441a-a1dc-b59b4c2db86a">Re: Ceremony suggestions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm also on the hunt for ideas... I just found these: <a href="http://www.fabhousewife.com/blissfully-bridal-unity-ceremony-ideas/" rel="nofollow">http://www.fabhousewife.com/blissfully-bridal-unity-ceremony-ideas/</a> I kind of like the tree idea but I'm positive I'd get my dress filthy. Boo :(  Maybe if the tree were mostly planted and we just poured water or something...nourishment...nourishing our relationship, blah blah blah...?  Or this site: <a href="http://offbeatbride.com/2011/04/unity-ceremony-options" rel="nofollow">http://offbeatbride.com/2011/04/unity-ceremony-options</a> I'm Irish so I'm also considering the handfasting one...but I also like the one where you nail a box shut with love letters from each of you.  I'd heard one where you open it up on a certain anniversary and another when you have your first huge fight and you're maybe reconsidering if marriage is worth it.  You open it up, drink the wine inside and read the letters reminding you why you got married in the first place. I'm sick of candles and sand ceremonies...so I'm looking for something different!
    Posted by mlg78[/QUOTE]

We did a wine box ceremony.  It meant a lot to me since my family has a lot of divorce, so I liked that element real-ness that marriage is hard but it's worth fighting for.  My stepfather handmade our box and we had H's brothers come up to hammer it shut, and that made for some funny pictures and laughs.

• Maggieevans, I answered you about a wine ceremony in your crosspost in the other forum.

As for those who say the whole idea is redundant, I don't think it's fair to criticize how others construct their ceremonies.  You could point out flaws with the logic of any organized event.  Just because it isn't for you doesn't mean it doesn't have value.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• In Response to Re:Ceremony suggestions:[QUOTE]Maggieevans, I answered you about a wine ceremony in your crosspost in the other forum.As for those who say the whole idea is redundant, I don't think it's fair to criticize how others construct their ceremonies.nbsp; You could point out flaws with the logic of any organized event.nbsp; Just because it isn't for you doesn't mean it doesn't have value. Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your input. And you have a good point, to each his own! It is all about what is meaningful to you!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ceremony-suggestions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:d722dca8-d71b-4258-a4f3-5a1d43bcf21ePost:fd56ba01-2544-48be-ba9d-22a00fa4c8bb">Re: Ceremony suggestions</a>:
    [QUOTE] As for those who say the whole idea is redundant, I don't think it's fair to criticize how others construct their ceremonies.  You could point out flaws with the logic of any organized event.  Just because it isn't for you doesn't mean it doesn't have value.
    Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

OP - what DH and I did was colored water.  In front of the vase with yellow water was a picture of my parents on their wedding day.  In front of the vase with red water was a picture of DH's parents on their wedding day.  We have these pictures with one of us on our wedding day in between them displayed at home all in matching frames.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ceremony-suggestions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:d722dca8-d71b-4258-a4f3-5a1d43bcf21ePost:fd56ba01-2544-48be-ba9d-22a00fa4c8bb">Re: Ceremony suggestions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think it's fair to criticize how others construct their ceremonies.  You could point out flaws with the logic of any organized event.  Just because it isn't for you doesn't mean it doesn't have value.

<div>Thank you for this! I wish other users would take this into account before they post. </div>
  • In Response to Re:Ceremony suggestions:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ceremony suggestions:I don't think it's fair to criticize how others construct their ceremonies.nbsp; You could point out flaws with the logic of any organized event.nbsp; Just because it isn't for you doesn't mean it doesn't have value.Posted by PeledreamsofrainThank you for this! I wish other users would take this into account before they post.nbsp; Posted by ClaireyBee[/QUOTE]

I'm actually thinking missunshine is trolling. She took the time to be snotty in the crosspost too. Word for word the same. Must be a slow day for her.

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ceremony-suggestions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:d722dca8-d71b-4258-a4f3-5a1d43bcf21ePost:fd56ba01-2544-48be-ba9d-22a00fa4c8bb">Re: Ceremony suggestions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maggieevans, I answered you about a wine ceremony in your crosspost in the other forum. As for those who say the whole idea is redundant, I don't think it's fair to criticize how others construct their ceremonies.  You could point out flaws with the logic of any organized event.  Just because it isn't for you doesn't mean it doesn't have value.

Agree! Every wedding is different and just because it does not work for some does not mean it wont for others.
  • I wasn't criticizing. I don't judge anyone for choosing to do a unity ceremony. But it's still true that wedding = unity.
  • In Response to Re:Ceremony suggestions:[QUOTE]I wasn't criticizing. I don't judge anyone for choosing to do a unity ceremony. But it's still true that wedding unity. Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

Then by that logic why have the rings? They are a symbol of unity too. Gosh what a waste of time I guess.

Anniversary

• A friend of mine got married a couple of years ago and they did a foot washing ceremony. It was so special for them and beautiful. I don't think there was a dry eye in the room. I think it is a strictly Christian thing though, and has specific biblical meaning... I'm not sure, since I'm Jewish, but it might be something worth looking into to see if it would be meaningful to you.

Without being negative though, your wedding ceremony is a unity ceremony and a lot of times I think those other things are just time fillers and are boring unless they are truly meaningful and authentic. I would just keep that in mind and find something meaningful to both you and your FI.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ceremony-suggestions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:d722dca8-d71b-4258-a4f3-5a1d43bcf21ePost:0e3daee4-84f7-4468-8445-4be49b771ccd">Re:Ceremony suggestions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Ceremony suggestions: Then by that logic why have the rings? They are a symbol of unity too. Gosh what a waste of time I guess.

<div>Almost everyone in my mother's generation had unity candles. It was the thing to do. My aunt had a sand ceremony with her kids and stepkids when she got remarried. I seriously don't have a problem with them; but I do think they're redundant. Particularly if the couple is doing it just to have a unity 'thing' or because it's cute. Wedding rings are meaningful to me personally, but not everybody does those, FYI.</div>
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re:Ceremony suggestions:In Response to Re:Ceremony suggestions:In Response to Re:Ceremony suggestions: Then by that logic why have the rings? They are a symbol of unity too. Gosh what a waste of time I guess.Posted by PeledreamsofrainAlmost everyone in my mother's generation had unity candles. It was the thing to do. My aunt had a sand ceremony with her kids and stepkids when she got remarried. I seriously don't have a problem with them; but I do think they're redundant. Particularly if the couple is doing it just to have a unity 'thing' or because it's cute. Wedding rings are meaningful to me personally, but not everybody does those, FYI. Posted by artbyallie

It's not anyone's place to judge what is meaningful or not in a couple's ceremony other than the couple themselves. I can't beleive anyone is so hateful as to go to a wedding and roll their eyes at the contents of the ceremony.

This isn't a movie, or a play that is supposed to entertain you.  Not entertained?  Don't understand why something was included?  Nobody cares because it's not FOR YOU.  Let the couple be happy in that moment.  If that includes painting each other blue, what's it to you?  Why do you feel the need to rank the effectiveness of what they're doing? 

If it's not for you, great.  If it is for you, great.  It's like your underwear, nobody else gets to judge what will work best for you.  Anyone who tries is crazy and weird and poking their nose were it doesn't belong.

Anniversary

• OMG, when did I ever say I rolled my eyes at anything?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ceremony-suggestions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:d722dca8-d71b-4258-a4f3-5a1d43bcf21ePost:e8a05fc9-43a4-402b-a826-2b29eb42fcb5">Re:Ceremony suggestions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am leaning towards the hand ceremony Is that what you are talking about with the Irish ceremony? Goes like this... Hand Ceremony Please face each other and take each others hands, so that you may see the gift that they are to you. These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and full of love for you, that are holding yours on your wedding day as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow and forever. These are the hands that will work alongside yours as together you build your future. These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, and with the slightest touch will comfort you like no other. These are the hands that will hold you when fear or grief temporarily comes to you. These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes, tears of sorrow and tears of joy. These are the hands that will give you strength when you need it, support and encouragement to pursue your dreams, and comfort through difficult times. And lastly, these are the hands that even when wrinkled and aged will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch.
    Posted by maggieevans1[/QUOTE]

I love this!  I've been looking for something other than the sand ceremony too. This is beautiful; and I'm Irish <3 Thanks for sharing!

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards