Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Are there Fake Registries?

I typed in the name of one of my old friends who is getting married on Saturday to look at her registry... (I wanted to buy something little just to say "Congrats")

I clicked on someone else's name from 2008... to be nosey? absolutely, to see what they registered for... and out of 100-200 items - nothing had been purchased!

Could this be a fake registry? Just someone messing around? Or did these poor people really receive 0 from their registry?

It got me wondering...
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Are there Fake Registries?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_there-fake-registries?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:e8ff9f1d-b3ad-4917-8d9b-229fba143d38Post:e78abe9a-7e90-4226-a7cf-c61cec83d70e">Re: Are there Fake Registries?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I attended a baby shower last year with 50 guests and 2 registries.  The morning of the shower (when I went to get her gift, because I'm always ahead of the game like that) NOTHING had been removed from EITHER registry. Turned out that everyone had gotten her stuff off the registry but not a single soul had bothered to take the registry print out up to the register and have the cashier remove it.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

That sucks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We set up a registry and only got about 5 gifts off it.  People just didn't seem to use it (thought we did get a bunch of cash, so that was nice!  Although we just ended up buying what we wanted off the registry.)

But to have that many gifts and 0 purchased, my guess is that they canceled the wedding.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_there-fake-registries?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:e8ff9f1d-b3ad-4917-8d9b-229fba143d38Post:49adbb2b-35e0-4f77-9c10-d6a0b02a4bd5">Re: Are there Fake Registries?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got hardly anything from the registry.  Thanks for making me feel extra not awesome. ;)
    Posted by Snippylynn[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    A friend from high school got married last month, and I was nosy and checked out her registries.   She had one at BBB and one at Target, and out of 150+ items NOTHING got purchased off of the BBB registry, and like 10 things came off of the Target registry.  I know they went through with the wedding, but I have no idea what was with the BBB registry.  It was insane.
  • Options
    My sister had a fake registry at Linens N Things before she & her husband were even engaged (the wedding date listed on the registry was 2 years before their actual wedding date).  I don't quite remember how I found out about it, but for a while there it was a bit of a running joke between our other sister & I.  I was thisclose to buying her something off it for Christmas so that I could out her, but ended up not going that route.  There were only about 5-10 things on it though and not necessarily full-blown registry,
  • Options
    It could be a registry set up and then changed their mind about the store or just never got married. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_there-fake-registries?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:e8ff9f1d-b3ad-4917-8d9b-229fba143d38Post:bb36bcde-2cab-45ee-adf9-5c5c94323661">Re: Are there Fake Registries?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Could be an "abandoned" registry. I initially registered at one store that was just terrible to work with (the registry guns would lock after a few minutes, so we spent more time trying to find someone to unlock the registry gun than we did actually doing the registry); and their online registry didn't work well either. I did delete most of the stuff from my registry I abandoned, but I can see someone just leaving everything on the registry and not telling anybody they registered there.
    Posted by abbyful[/QUOTE]

Well, I haven't told people I registered anywhere (except my parents) but people still found our registries. I don't think it's possibly to TOTALLY abandon a registry and not have anyone find it.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_there-fake-registries?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:e8ff9f1d-b3ad-4917-8d9b-229fba143d38Post:d17d7978-b9a5-4061-a1e0-a2b3d56e9166">Re: Are there Fake Registries?</a>:
    [QUOTE]A friend from high school got married last month, and I was nosy and checked out her registries.   She had one at BBB and one at Target, and out of 150+ items NOTHING got purchased off of the BBB registry, and like 10 things came off of the Target registry.  I know they went through with the wedding, but I have no idea what was with the BBB registry.  It was insane.
    Posted by SweetCharade[/QUOTE]

so far I have about 5 things off my crate and barrel registry and 3 off my BB&B registry. My family doesn't give a lot of physical gifts and I didn't think anyone would buy ANYTHING off the BB&B registry, which was just linens. But FI swore we HAD to register...
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Many people also delete the purchased items off the registry after the wedding, and leave up the registry for birthdays, christmas, etc. It is possible they just had an enormous registry, deleted all the purchased items, and now it just looks like nothing got purchased.
  • Options
    I started a housewarming registry a couple of years ago when I bought a house and actually used the registry more like a "shopping list" and added/subtracted to it as I found things for the house (I was renovating it).  So, it appears to be an abandoned registry.  When my fiancee and I started our wedding registry at the same store, I went back to my housewarming registry and deleted all of the items JUST IN CASE someone pulled up that registry instead of the wedding one.  So, for about 2 years, that registry sat with not one item purchased off of it -- it wasn't a "fake" registry, in fact, relatives would buy things for me based on the list, but they wouldn't scan it at the store.  Just my situation, but it does happen.  

Ah another hypothetical -- bride started the registry, but the groom wanted to go in another direction or consolidate the # of stores they had registries, so they just forgot about it ??  Strange, though, and I certainly understand your curiosity! 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards