June 2013 Weddings

Dinner Options?

We just had an AMAZING tasting with a potential caterer!  His food was so good, he's very knowledgeable about our venue, and he's in our price range!  Yay!  We tried 4 entree options - 2 chickens, a steak, and salmon.  We expected to pick one chicken as well as either the steak or salmon, but now I'm in love with the salmon and he's all about the steak.  My question is, would it be strange to have steak and salmon as the 2 meat options on the buffet?  We will also have pasta as an option, and mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables as the side dishes.  I've always seen chicken as one of the meal choices, so is this something that guests won't like?

And just for the record, my fiance actually asked me to ask this question on The Knot because he wants to make sure all our guests are happy, and he knows you give good advice!

Re: Dinner Options?

• I think its your wedding and you guys do what you want! I think those options are honestly great for guys, but maybe not so great for girls. I know a lot of girls who are not seafood eaters or big steak eaters. I am not a salmon fan at all (I like some other types of fish though) and am not crazy about steak, but I do eat it. I would probably just eat steak and pasta, but I am easy to please and would be happy with that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • lodonnell616lodonnell616 member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I think its fine, we're doing fish and beef for our meals (sit down dinner).  I've been to weddings where only steak was served and everyone ate it (except vegetarians, there was  a special meal available for them).  Pick what must represents you and FI's taste.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The only problem that I would see with serving beef and salmon is being able to pick which one I wanted for dinner!! ;) Go for it!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • So happy things went well with your caterer! :) I think if you want to do steak and salmon--do it! Serve what you both love, it'll make your wedding even more unique to you both.(I don't know if that came out right, but I hope you know what I'm trying to say!) 

Keep in mind that some people are going to be disappointed in the meal options regardless of what you serve. I was at a wedding a few years ago where a woman threw a fit because the only vegetarian option was a salad. The bride & groom were not vegetarians yet she was beyond pissed that they were serving meat at the wedding. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I say go for it!  Although I may be biased because I ALWAYS choose the steak anyhow :P

I feel most people I know would be fine with either one of those options, or just having the pasta.  
    ~*June 2013 Sig Challenge: Our Cake*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Thanks everyone!  The caterer said he sees steak/fish options all the time, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't some weird rule that you had to have a chicken option.  I guess this will just make my wedding unique!  And the chicken just wasn't as yummy as these 2 options, and I want to have the best food possible!  I'm like 99.9% sure we're booking this caterer so now I'm really excited!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_dinner-options?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:016ac4b8-4920-4304-acf6-9ff85dcb10baPost:f61e54c4-9fd9-464d-9134-7a7b1bb9e582">Re: Dinner Options?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Pick what most represents you and FI's taste.
    Posted by lodonnell616[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This. If you and FI loved the steak and salmon, go for it! I feel like chicken is a common wedding dish mainly because it's less expensive than beef or fish. I don't think there's any weird rule mandating chicken. :)

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards