August 2013 Weddings
Options

Finding an officiant

Hey everyone, 
    The next big "to do" on my list is find an officiant for our ceremony. We're spiritual, but not incredibly religious people. We're having an outdoor ceremony that should be short, sweet, and to the point. :) I've set up a couple meetings with people, but have no idea what questions should be asked. Any insights? 

A couple people have told me a close friend or fmaily member can get ordained on-line and do the ceremony for us. We know someone who did this and is having a family member marry her. She forwarded me the email confirmation, but it seemed a bit 'hokey" and unreal. Has anyone else looked into having someone ordained on-line? Is it a legit process? I'd love for my uncle to marry us, I just don't know that I trust the on-line stuff... 

Re: Finding an officiant

• Options
    From what I've heard, the online ordination can work, but isn't legal in every state. I would call your county clerk to ask. I know in MA, there is also a state sponsored, very official temporary officiant license. You might check if your state has something similar. If you meet with regular officiants, they will probably give you some sample ceremonies as a starting point. If you have an extra ceremonies in mind, such as a unity candle, I would mention that at your meeting. I was really surprised just how flexible our officiant was, even though our ceremony is religious. Hopefully you'll have a similar experience! GL!
  • Options
    Hi there! We, too, want a friend to marry us. We looked into in WA and as hokey as it seems, it is apparently sufficiently legit. We know some others who also went thru the link below, and it worked out for them, too. Good call above to check state-by-state to make sure though!

http://www.themonastery.org/wedding-training/performing-a-wedding-3-steps

Like you, we are spiritual but not religious. Our good friend is a writer, and we thought of him right away after we got engaged. We are excited that the person uniting us gets to be someone whom we so admire.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards