Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

How many songs and for what?

I am sooo confused... I need some help ladies, I see so many having songs for this or that. I would love to learn the how many songs and for what? LOL I see for lighting the candle, for walking, 1st song and is there anything else I am missing? Thank you and have a blessed day

Re: How many songs and for what?

• Options
    Girlie1030Girlie1030 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We didn't have any unity type things in our ceremony so I can only help with the standard stuff....

Typically you have the prelude music, which is what is playing while your guests are seated - I had several instrumental songs from various movie soundtracks for that.  We had a specific song (again, a movie instrumental) for the seating of the family.  A song for the BP (for me it was only a MOH) to walk in.  Then the processional which my FG and I walked into - this worked because the song I chose had a clear change in music about 30 seconds in where I started walking and the guests stood.  Otherwise, I think the FG walks to the same music as the BP.  There's the recessional in which you and your H will walk out first, followed by the BP. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Typically, here's how I structure the wedding ceremony repertoire when I play weddings. Optional pieces are in parentheses. 

Prelude music: 15-20 minutes prior to ceremony
    (Groom's family/groomsmen/groom's entry)
    (Bride's family/ring bearer/flower girl/bridesmaids/MOH entry)
    Processional: usually the wedding party and Bride 
    (Hymn)
    (Candle-lighting/sand ceremony) - this needs to be fairly short. Alternatively, you can do this just before you sign the registry, and make it into one longer segment involving a longer piece of music or several pieces. 
    Signing of the Registry - this ALWAYS takes longer than expected so choose a song/piece that can be easily "stretched". Good wedding musicians can do this easily and just gauge the timing. Or, you can have a couple of short pieces here.
    Recessional - usually something lively and jubilant, since you are now husband and wife! :-)
    (Postlude) - 10-15 minutes after ceremony, lively music but not competing with the social element. Some skip this and go straight to cocktail hour with different musicians, and some use the same musicians for this time as well. 

Remember that it is a ceremony, not a concert. 

As an aside, please check the length of your aisle, so that the musicians have an idea of how long the processional needs to be. And also let them know how many are in the wedding party. 

• Options
    jc04100657jc04100657 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Anniversary

September 2011 Siggy Challenge- Favorite Ceremony Photo
    Photobucket
  • Options
    tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you having a DJ? A good DJ should be able to give you guidance.
  • Options
    harjessharjess member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well thank you all ladies... I just was like how many songs and for what. LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards