Hawaii
Options

Planning a wedding in Maui, where to stay?

Hello ladies!  I've been lurking for a while and have gotten some really great recommendations from you all, thank you!  We're planning a private wedding just FI, myself and two guests in Maui for this Sept. 

I've been on TripAdvisor and going back and forth on where we should stay.  We would love to be right on the beach that's sandy and not too full of coral and somewhat close to all the restaurants and shops.  Which resort/hotel would you recommend?  While we would love to stay at the Four Seasons, that is a bit out of our price range.  Thank you in advance!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Planning a wedding in Maui, where to stay?

• Options
    We stayed at several hotels during our Maui trip and I think my favorite was the Makena beach and golf resort. The food at the hotel for both breakfast and dinner was incredible. They have a quiet beach right on the hotel grounds and it's very nice there, that's where we did our trash the dress session. It's only a couple of minutes from Kihei where there's pretty much everything, and yet far enough away that it feels more like a "private" beach area than the touristy beaches in Kihei. Kihei's beaches reminded me more of the beaches here, in that they were overrun with people, but further south was much nicer. There are great options on west Maui too, but I prefer south Maui since its more quiet and feels (to me) to be less touristy. If you really want to get away from the touristy feel, stay in Hana. It's beautiful. I wish we had stayed there longer.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I'm a big fan of north-west Maui. If you go north of Ka'anapali, you'll find it a lot less crowded. We usually stay in Kahana (at the Kahana Village - it's pricey though), but anywhere along that stretch between Ka'anapali and Kahana on the Lower Honoaplilani Hwy has great views and is relatively close to grocery stores and restaurants. Kahekili beach (just north of Black Rock) is one of my favourite stretches of sand. It's surprisingly uncrowded, especially as you go further south down it (parking is all at the north end) AND if you compare it to the very crowded Ka'anapali beach south of Black Rock.

My BIL stayed at the Polynesian Shores condos - and they loved them. Right on the water and they swam off the beach there every day.
  • Options
    13b13b member
    First Comment
    A nice alternative is to stay on the North East side of the island in Paia. Paia's the quaint hippy/surf town that's quickly becoming a popular spot for boutique shopping and great dining. The beaches there are less crowded. And if you like watching surfers, bodyboarders, windsurfers, ho'okipa beach is the place to be. 
  • Options

We elected to stay in a condo in South Maui when we go in June.

• Options
    We loved the condo we stayed at. Napili Bay Resort & we booked on alohacondos.com. It's not super upscale or luxury but it was Right above the sand & we could hear the waves as we slept. It was great being able to make our own food/drinks & lounge on the beach/patio. I'd go back in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    Kea Lani, spacious room. Beautiful white mediterranean hotel. Nicks fish Market, great restaurant. Grand Wailea Resort, famous for their spa. Awesome pools that everyone tries to sneak into. Their pool attendants are like nazi's so they have pretty good control over trespassers hehe. Wailea Marriott, probably the least expensive. The serenity pool is just breath taking! Destination Resorts Hawaii, they manage 7 condo properties in Wailea. They have really cheap condos to luxury condos & the in-betweens. Hope this helps:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards