Chit Chat
Options

Children at the wedding

My fiance and I are arguing whether children should be invited with their parents or if just the parents are invited to our wedding.
Is it rude to not invite them? Will they be offended?
Some parents won't come at all if their kids are not invited which stinks.

Re: Children at the wedding

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_children-at-the-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:9cf19df9-c9a5-4f9f-9a04-a2b885683180Post:0325339c-bcef-4eca-bf09-849213d0aac6">Children at the wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are arguing whether children should be invited with their parents or if just the parents are invited to our wedding. Is it rude to not invite them? Will they be offended? Some parents won't come at all if their kids are not invited which stinks.
    Posted by jamienoo1[/QUOTE]

That's a personal decision.  If you decide not to invite children, you will have to accept the fact that some of the parents may not attend.  We have only invited a few children and all are family.  No children of friends invited.
  • Options
    LiLe422LiLe422 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 2012
    In Response to Re:Children at the wedding:[QUOTE]My fiance and I are arguing whether children should be invited with their parents or if just the parents are invited to our weddiing. <strong> Is it rude to not invite them? Will they be offended? </strong>Some parents won't come at all if their kids are not invited which stinks. Posted by jamienoo1[/QUOTE]
    To answer your questions... No it is not rude at all. It is a matter of preference. Maybe, maybe not. Some parents will be offended and may even decline since little Johnny and Susie weren't invited. Some parents will be thankful for the adult time away from the little brats. Ultimately it is a decision you and FI have to make together.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    It's a personal decision. We had to make the decision of no children because of financial can't afford them and we don't like them crying during the ceremony and running around at the reception. The only 2 invited are my niece and nephew and they are in the wedding party.
  • Options
    It's a personal decision. It's not rude not to invite children. We had an adults only wedding with the exception of the RB and FG.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I personally am not a fan of kids at weddings. I went to a wedding this summer where a child pulled his pants down and tried to start peeing in the aisle during the ceremony.

We are however gonig to be inviting kids to the wedding, just because they are family and we want them there to share our special day, that being said, if the parents did decide to get a sitter and leave the kids at home I wouldn't be upset not having the kids there.
  • Options
    LiLe422LiLe422 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_children-at-the-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:9cf19df9-c9a5-4f9f-9a04-a2b885683180Post:76fb1fde-5131-4b34-929d-910b41b46ddd">Re: Children at the wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I personally am not a fan of kids at weddings. <strong>I went to a wedding this summer where a child pulled his pants down and tried to start peeing in the aisle during the ceremony.</strong> We are however gonig to be inviting kids to the wedding, just because they are family and we want them there to share our special day, that being said, if the parents did decide to get a sitter and leave the kids at home I wouldn't be upset not having the kids there.
    Posted by RailWayWife[/QUOTE]

Oh. My. God. 

I would have been mortified if I was that childs parent.  I probably would have beat his ass right then and there.  Haha, good thing I don't want kids :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    As others have said, it's a personal decision.  I guess I'm in the minority in that it was a priority for us to include the children of our family and friends.  There were around 40 kids under the age of 12 invited; I can think of at least 21 that were there.  The youngest were three-month-old twin girls.  We have close relationships with the kids in our social circle, though, plus my H's daughter and 2 young nieces, so it was never really a question whether to include children.

For all the horror stories people tell about kids at weddings, we really didn't experience any of that.  On of my cousin's sons threw up on himself during the cocktail/appetizer hour--I only knew because his mom brought him into the bathroom to get him cleaned up while I was in there.  Otherwise it wasn't a big deal.  I was also pretty confident in our guests' abilities to act like proper parents, which I know CAN be an issue.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_children-at-the-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:9cf19df9-c9a5-4f9f-9a04-a2b885683180Post:0325339c-bcef-4eca-bf09-849213d0aac6">Children at the wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are arguing whether children should be invited with their parents or if just the parents are invited to our wedding. Is it rude to not invite them? Will they be offended? Some parents won't come at all if their kids are not invited which stinks.
    Posted by jamienoo1[/QUOTE]
    no its not rude but it is rude to write "no children" on the invite
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    In Response to Re:Children at the wedding:[QUOTE]In Response to Children at the wedding:My fiance and I are arguing whether children should be invited with their parents or if just the parents are invited to our wedding. Is it rude to not invite them? Will they be offended? Some parents won't come at all if their kids are not invited which stinks.Posted by jamienoo1no its not rude but it is rude to write "no children" on the invite Posted by drandreasalazar[/QUOTE]

In that situation you write "adults only".
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Children at the wedding:[QUOTE]As others have said, it's a personal decision.nbsp; I guess I'm in the minority in that it was a priority for us to include the children of our family and friends.nbsp; There were around 40 kids under the age of 12 invited; I can think of at least 21 that were there.nbsp; The youngest were threemonthold twin girls.nbsp; We have close relationships with the kids in our social circle, though, plus my H's daughter and 2 young nieces, so it was never really a question whether to include children.For all the horror stories people tell about kids at weddings, we really didn't experience any of that.nbsp; On of my cousin's sons threw up on himself during the cocktail/appetizer hourI only knew because his mom brought him into the bathroom to get him cleaned up while I was in there.nbsp; Otherwise it wasn't a big deal.nbsp; I was also pretty confident in our guests' abilities to act like proper parents, which I know CAN be an issue. Posted by Carrie81677[/QUOTE]

I love kids and wan 4 myself. But don't like them at weddings. To me a wedding is an adult affair and no child wants to sit through a formal ceremony and dinner no matter the age. My ceremony will probably be an hour so I can imagine a child not wanting to sit still that long.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards