Military Brides
Options

Tell me about quinoa?

We bought some because I've heard a lot about it and that it is the Superman of grains and all, but I have no idea how to cook it or what to do with it. Anyone have recipes they like? 

I've decided to start taking my diet seriously because if I lose two dress sizes by the time my dress comes in (September/October) my grandmother is paying for my alterations. And it's also something I should do, but I won't pass up free tailoring. 

Re: Tell me about quinoa?

• Options
    I love quinoa!!! 

It's best if you soak it first (I usually soak it for 10-15 minutes before cooking it ) because that helps it to cook more evenly. Most quinoa you buy now has been steamed/cleaned to remove the bitter taste of the stuff that covers it (I forget what it's called) but the soaking also helps be sure it won't be bitter too. 

I boil it for 15 minutes covered and then let it cool at least 5 minutes before straining and serving. 

You can serve it hot (I like it hot for breakfast, with fresh fruit or like a porridge with some milk... eat like oatmeal...) or you can let it cool and make a cold salad with it. 

Were you looking for any particular recipes?? Do you want for hot or cold?
    wedding1 Anniversary
  • Options
    Fire, you're so close! Hope everything is going well!

I think either, just whatever your favorites are. I think doing a salad type thing would be good because we have guests coming in this weekend to attend a wedding of a mutual friend, so having something I could just pop out of the fridge and serve with something grilled would be great. 
  • Options
    Oh quinoa. How I love thee. We do what Fire does (soak and boil) and if I'm not doing a tabouleh type cold salad (lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, diced cuke, tomato, s&p) we've simmered it with OJ and served it with scallops, so amazing. We also just eat it like rice, so a little oil or whatever sauce is happening on the plate already. I also pinned a salad with blueberries maybe...lemme look! 

I mean how good does <this> look?!
  • Options
    It's delish!!! Weird fact, it's actually a seed, and has protein (unlike rice). Prepare like you would brown rice. I also recommend rinsing it first. It doesn't have a ton of flavor on its own, so I like to combine mine with veggies that I've sauteed up in some teryaki sauce. 
  • Options
    Oh funny, someone just pinned this today!! Looks yummy! Like caprese salad with quinoa. <click me>
  • Options
    divinemsbeedivinemsbee member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Oh Irish, that looks amazing. I saved the sites you just posted and I think I'm going to do the fruit one Friday when our guests get here. With some grilled chicken with oregano and lemon juice. Mmmmmm.
  • Options
    I know, I totally want that fruit one!! Yummm
  • Options
    I've never cooked it myself, but I've eaten it a few times at work. I really like it served hot, and just plain like rice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards