June 2013 Weddings
Options

First Dance Songs

The fiance and I have been talking about what we song we should play during our first dance. I am in love with I Won't Give Up by Jason Mraz but he's just not feeling it. All the songs he wants are good songs but I think the tempo is too fast for a first dance. 

What song are you and your men dancing to?

Megan

Re: First Dance Songs

• Options
    if i didnt have you by Thompson Square is our top contender right now
    November Siggy: STD/Invite inspiration imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • Options
    It's Your Love by Tim McGraw and Faith Hill
    June 2013 Sig - Shoes
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I like La Vie En Rose by Louis Armstrong. It's a very classic song that will make that first dance for us so fun and memorable!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Constellations by Jack Johnson. It's a very personal song for us. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    We're dancing to "Heavenly Day" by Patty Griffin. Here's a list of some other songs that you might not necessarily think of when looking for a first dance song: http://offbeatbride.com/2010/03/unique-first-dance-songs

Go and re-watch some of your favorite romantic movies. See if there's any songs from those movies that you like. Pay attention when you're watching TV...you may hear a song that you really like. Listen to a couple of your favorite artists on youtube, and check out the suggestions that pop up on the side. Hope this helps!!
  • Options
    My FI and I both really like to dance, so it will probably be something upbeat...but we haven't actually decided yet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Bei Mir Bist Du Schon by the Andrews Sisters.  It's upbeat but that's perfect in my eyes because I didn't want to just sway on the dance floor for the length of a song and it'll be a great photo op.  Plus not many people my age and younger would think to use something that old so it'll be unique for our age group Smile

My one suggestion would be to make sure to listen to the lyrics and not just the music when you're going thru first dance songs.  I remember a few years ago when planning my wedding to my ex that a DJ said that to me and followed it up with the explanation that he had a lot of requests for a song that had really romantic sounding music but the lyrics only talked about broken hearts and a failed romance.  I can't remember the name of the song anymore but it was an older one that was very very popular.
    June 2013 Sig Challenge - Shoes

Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are going to have Smile by Uncle Kracker as our first dance.  I heard it on the radio at work one day and the lyrics really explain our relationship.  Just listen to the radio  or watch your favorite movies to get ideas.
  • Options
    We are not having any dancing just a sit down dinner.  But I am walking down the aisle to I won't give up.
    White Knot
    June '13 January siggy Honeymoon Destination
    Indian Head Resort White Mountains New Hampshire
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Blake Shelton - God Gave Me You. For some reason my FI really wanted this song (which I like as well) but of course I had a list of a million songs I always pictured as my wedding song haha.
    June 2013 January Sig - Honeymoon Destination
    Negril, Jamaica!!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Kissin' You by Des'ree....it's the song from Romeo and Juliet (Leonardo DiCaprio)
  • Options
    Our song is "The Power of Love" by Huey Lewis and the News. We are 80's kids and movie geeks so Back to the Future is a top favorite. 

This is an upbeat feel good song that really emphasizes how love can change you for the better and we both love it. For the wedding though, since we have a live band performing they are hopefully going to learn this song for us and play it in a slower more jazzy style for our first dance. I can't wait!

Anniversary
  • Options
    Right now our top contender is I see the light from the movie Tangled. I love all of the Princess movies and he proposed in Disney so having a song from a Disney movie fits us. Like the other girls have said listen to music during movies or tv shows or even commercials. You could find something great there.
  • Options
    We are going with Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol

There was a lot of flip flopping between that and Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up.
    Its not the destination so much as the journey, they say. - Captain Jack Sparrow Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I feel head over heels in love with that song when I first heard it about 7 years ago!! OMG!! Great song!!
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_first-dance-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:b2582e03-ca2e-4b0c-ad0f-e79767091651Post:3c97a3ec-6d99-4270-9f0a-adb7d8f0252b">Re: First Dance Songs</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kissin' You by Des'ree....it's the song from Romeo and Juliet (Leonardo DiCaprio)
    Posted by FutureMrsPrice2013[/QUOTE]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to Re:First Dance Songs:[QUOTE]We are going to have Smile by Uncle Kracker as our first dance. nbsp;I heard it on the radio at work one day and the lyrics really explain our relationship. nbsp;Just listen to the radio nbsp;or watch your favorite movies to get ideas. Posted by SusieSunshine2[/QUOTE]

We're using Smile too! :
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'll Be by Edwin McCain
  • Options
    Ours is "Your Everything" from Keith Urban :) 

FI and I were long distance for a few months last summer when he moved up to start opening his shop so we only saw each other on the weekends since I couldn't move for job purposes yet; it was harder and harder every weekend to leave and sometimes I wouldn't leave sun and drive the crazy 4 hrs bright an early to be at work monday morning. Anyway, one early morning I was driving home and "Your Everything" came on my ipod ( i had forgotten about that song) but as soon as I really heard the words and got to the 2nd verse I just started crying because it was exactly what our relationship was. I knew that moment I had to put in my two weeks and move up to be with him and start my new life up there.  So I did just that, and it was the best decision I ever made!

Anniversary
  • Options
    Blake shelton- god gave me you
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We will be dancing to I won't Give up by Jason Mraz. :-)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We are dancing to Be Your Everything by BoysLikeGirls. I wanted a more modern song. You should check out some songs by Ben Rector! They're all very romantic! I'm walking down the aisle to his song White Dress.
  • Options
    We are dancing to "I Won't Give Up" by Jason Mraz. Some of the other contenders we had before we decided were "Wanted" by Hunter Hayes, "This I Promise You" by N*Sync (we are both 90's babies so it was fiting), and "God Gave Me You" by Blake Shelton. :) We went back and forth for months but "I Won't Give Up" just seemed to be the most fitting for us as we've been through a lot together and it seems to be looking toward the future. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards