Attire & Accessories Forum

Bridesmaid Dilemma

Well I've been engaged for a month now and 2 days ago my FI asked me to include his sister in the bridal party. His sister is very thick and I was wondering what kind of bridesmaid dress styles work well with someone of a thicker body type?

Re: Bridesmaid Dilemma

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_bridesmaid-dillema?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:843e5bc2-6553-4b94-95d8-54d9eb9f4d01Post:ca29a046-ad21-4fa2-9b3c-168abeb080af">Re: Bridesmaid Dilemma</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Bridesmaid Dilemma : What style of dresses does she usually wear?  Go on a shopping trip with her to try on BM dresses. Have you already asked her?  If not, don't feel pressured to ask her just because she is your FI's sister..  It's perfectly acceptable for your FI to ask her to stand on his side. With that said, don't decide not to ask her because she's "thick."
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

Well I definitely want her in the wedding. I'm thinking that I'm going to let all my bridesmaids have different dresses that fit their body type and style but in the same color. I just want her to look her best for that day as well.
  • I really wouldn't call "thick" a body style.  Is she a pear, apple, or hour glass shape?  Just because she is "thick" does not mean that she won't look good in certain dress styles.  What it really comes down to is her body shape and not her "thickness".

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_bridesmaid-dillema?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:843e5bc2-6553-4b94-95d8-54d9eb9f4d01Post:0f213e66-d6df-46b5-8fdf-0f61be7fdadc">Re: Bridesmaid Dilemma</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really wouldn't call "thick" a body style.  Is she a pear, apple, or hour glass shape?  Just because she is "thick" does not mean that she won't look good in certain dress styles.  What it really comes down to is her body shape and not her "thickness".
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

She has more of a rounded shape.
  • pkontkpkontk member
    First Comment
    Your idea of letting your bridesmaids choose their dresses is a good one.  I asked mine to find a little black cocktail dress.  They could shop for it anywhere from Saks to Goodwill, or just use one they already have.  One less thing for me to worry about!
  • Yeah, if she's more of an apple (thinner limbs but larger in the tummy/torso) then you want something that will de-emphasize the middle and maybe put more emphasis on her legs or arms. What PP said is totally true, where you carry your weight matters. I'm more of an hourglass and I don't have great legs or ankles (yay genetics, even my size 2 mom has thick ones), but I'm still a bigger girl, so I'd look for a dress that was almost opposite of what I'd suggest for someone who had more in the middle. I suggest  going somewhere like David's (even if that's not where you get dresses) and you two could look at a bunch of different dress styles that will all be in the same color. 
  • RunDogRunDog member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    I let my bridesmaids choose their dresses, and my MOH picked Bill Levkoff Style 675. 

It was also on Say Yes to the Dress-Bridesmaids becuase it's flattering for girls with bigger busts. Most of the one shoulder dresses looked good on her, too. Flowy chiffon also helps hide "problem spots" that some girls are self conscious of.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Booboo1410Booboo1410 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_bridesmaid-dillema?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:843e5bc2-6553-4b94-95d8-54d9eb9f4d01Post:329b6c6f-5e40-4c89-adae-704484c3e50e">Re: Bridesmaid Dilemma</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, if she's more of an apple (thinner limbs but larger in the tummy/torso) then you want something that will de-emphasize the middle and maybe put more emphasis on her legs or arms. What PP said is totally true, where you carry your weight matters. I'm more of an hourglass and I don't have great legs or ankles (yay genetics, even my size 2 mom has thick ones), but I'm still a bigger girl, so I'd look for a dress that was almost opposite of what I'd suggest for someone who had more in the middle. I suggest  going somewhere like David's (even if that's not where you get dresses) and you two could look at a bunch of different dress styles that will all be in the same color. 
    Posted by divinemsbee[/QUOTE]

Basically she has a small bust but a big stomach and thighs. Kinda like this picture below minus her bust lol...I dont want to emphasize her shape.

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://cdn03.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/headlines/2010/01/gabourey-sidibe-down-under.jpg">http://cdn03.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/headlines/2010/01/gabourey-sidibe-down-under.jpg</a>
  • My bridesmaids are all different shapes. 1 is a pear, 1 is hourglass and tall, one is top heavy with thighs and average height, and the 4th is all bust no buns. Due to the fact we're having a very formal wedding I wanted long dresses, and they needed to be in the same style. Suprisingly despite them all being shaped different and having different personalities after several weeks of looking through lines I haphazardly threw a couple of the ones I liked and thought would fit them all without making them look unflattering. I wasnt going to even attempt this till January originally. In the end we've chosen the following Dessy Gown. Its chiffon so it will hide lumps and bumps, off the shoulder, but hides the arms, and it will keep cleavage under control!
    http://www.dessy.com/dresses/bridesmaid/6638/
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Your best bet would be to emphasize her bust and small arms.  The best way to do this would be to put her in an empire waist/v-neck dress.  Both of these shapes will help to define the bust while minimizing the thicker middle.

Here is a dress that may be good for her shape...

It is After Six style number 6639.

It has a high waist and a sweetheart neckline which typically looks really good on all body shapes.  And with the flowy skirt it should help minimize her midsection.

• Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    Empire and A-line are almost universally flattering.  However, remember that it's not just the cut -- the fabric makes a HUGE difference.  Anything cut on the bias is tough for curvy girls because the  fabric clings to every little bump and bulge.  Shiny fabrics like satin can be a problem if the cut is too tight or clingy.

I think it's a good idea to let the bridesmaids pick their own dress (in a color of your choosing). My bridesmaids also wore black cocktail dresses and looked amazing.   There are a lot of styles to choose from.

Also?  "Thick" is a little bit insulting. I say this as a bigger person.  You might not want to use this term around her, or behind her back...
    DSC_9275
  • Booboo1410Booboo1410 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_bridesmaid-dillema?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:843e5bc2-6553-4b94-95d8-54d9eb9f4d01Post:cf9eebee-668a-4f72-b4eb-9183af46087a">Re: Bridesmaid Dilemma</a>:
    [QUOTE]Empire and A-line are almost universally flattering.  However, remember that it's not just the cut -- the fabric makes a HUGE difference.  Anything cut on the bias is tough for curvy girls because the  fabric clings to every little bump and bulge.  Shiny fabrics like satin can be a problem if the cut is too tight or clingy. I think it's a good idea to let the bridesmaids pick their own dress (in a color of your choosing). My bridesmaids also wore black cocktail dresses and looked amazing.   There are a lot of styles to choose from. Also?  "Thick" is a little bit insulting. I say this as a bigger person.  You might not want to use this term around her, or behind her back...
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]
     Thanks for the heads up!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards