October 2012 Weddings

Pushy friendneed advice

Sorry if this gets long but thanks for reading if you do...

So I have this friend that I was super close in high school and although we're Not as close anymore we've stayed in touch and I invited her to the wedding.

Well a few months ago she got a new job with an event planning company and hasn't stopped calling/texting me about using them for any rentals or services for the wedding. I told her in the beginning that we had it all covered and spent a lot of time picking our vendors and were very happy with them. She asked me a few times if I was having a photo booth and I told her no we decide against one.
Well a few days ago she contacted my sisters saying she wanted to give me a photo booth for a wedding present. I know that a very generous gift but my FI and I just do NOT want a photo booth, free or not no offense to anyone who is renting one they're just way overdone in our area my sisters told her that we really didn't want one but thanked her for thinking of such a nice gift for us.

I thought she got the hint until I woke up from a text this morning from her saying her and her bf would love to give us the photo booth as a gift. What?! How many times do I have to say that I don't want it! I've tried being nice and I've tried the right to the point approach. I just don't understand what she's not getting. It's so odd because we are not all that close anymore and it's just to the point where its annoying.

So... WWYD??
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Pushy friendneed advice

• Ugh posted from my phone so apologies if it's not showing paragraphs I swear I made them! :
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited August 2012
    wow... come straight out and say THANKS but NOT THANKs... it is not that we don't appreciate your gift... we just plain are not interested in having a photo booth, gift or not... It is not part of our vision, if we wanted one we would have accepted when you first offered... so NO we will not take you up on your offer for the photo booth. plain/ flat out/ thank you but NO

well that's what I would say. time to be blunt and straightforward I think. becasue she doesn't seem to be getting the hint...

* and it is showign paragraphs :D *
  • I would tell her no once more with feeling "Thank you for your kind offer, but we will not be having a photo booth at our wedding, We both decided we do not want one there.", and then after that not even respone to her if she asks you about it again.
    If she still gets you one after that, it's on her, because you already told her you wont be using one. You can instruct any co-ordinators, or planners or the photographer to make sure there will not be one set up.
    Good luck, cause that is annoying.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 95 Invited
    image 70 Are ready to party!
    image 10 Will be missing out!
    image 15 Are MIA!
  •  Technically it is a gift and people can give you whatever they want to. But you can say something along the lines of "our venue doesn't permit photobooths because they have had issues in the past" Or "we just don't have any room in our venue for a photobooth." I personally wouldn't be mean to her about it because it can come off as unappreciative. 

If you haven't had your bridal shower yet maybe you can use the photobooth at your bridal shower, I have never seen one at a shower and I think it would be fun. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wow, PUSH-EY!  I think you need to be direct with her and tell her that you are not interested in having a photobooth at your wedding.  If you want to try to spare her feelings, tell her there isn't space or available outlets at your venue (only if it won't be terribly obvious that there's a bunch of extra space) Make sure you tell your venue that under no circumstances is a photobooth to be set up.  I would also have someone be on the lookout for her passing out business cards or something like that at your reception - that would be entirely inappropriate, but wouldn't surprise me based on her current actions.

Good luck OP.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_pushy-friendneed-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:b8b3dbf1-1b81-411f-b0ed-c5b626748293Post:25b231fa-ea0f-40fa-bed9-3ccc3b1594e8">Re: Pushy friendneed advice</a>:
    [QUOTE] Technically it is a gift and people can give you whatever they want to. But you can say something along the lines of "our venue doesn't permit photobooths because they have had issues in the past" Or "we just don't have any room in our venue for a photobooth." I personally wouldn't be mean to her about it because it can come off as unappreciative.   If you haven't had your bridal shower yet maybe you can use the photobooth at your bridal shower, I have never seen one at a shower and I think it would be fun. 
    Posted by Heath66[/QUOTE]
    Or maybe even at the rehearsal dinner? Friends of mine had their rehearsal at a restaurant that had a photo booth and it turned out nicely.

How annoying to have to deal with someone so pushy! :-/ A friend's in-law is a DJ and for a while when we'd see him (not the friend, the in-law/DJ), he'd be like, "HEY, you know we give friends & family discounts!!!", but with that at least once we were like, "We hired one, sorry!", then he stopped.
    Anniversary
  • Ugh, I hate when people get like that. I would text her back and say "thanks for your offer but FI and I have decided we do not want a photobooth at our wedding." and leave it at that. You don't need to explain your decision.

Anniversary
  • I understand that it is a gift, but it's also something that is going to change the overall feel of your event and disrupt the plans you have made.  Given that, you certainly have the right to decline. Unfortunately, it seems that you are going to need to be polite, but very strong in your position that you have decided you don't want a photobooth.  Why you don't want one is totally up to you and not really her place to debate with you. 
    Photobucket
  • Thanks for all the advice. I really don't want to come off as ungrateful it's so tough though. I know it's a gift but when she asked me MONTHS ago If I wanted to rent one I said that we didn't like them and already made the decision not to get one so that wasnt a secret. I think what I'm most worried about is that she wants to turn it ino a business opportunity. I can picture her going around with business cards and hanging out by the booth letting everyone know about the company as you can see she's got that type of personality. Normally I'd just accept it and take it, especially since its a gift, but it's just something we REALLY didn't want. That would be like someone telling me they wanted to buy my centerpieces as a gift some things should really be left up to the bride an groom to decide you know? I'll just take everyone's advice and say thanks again but we just really didn't want one. I'm so not a pushy person that's why I think this is such a tough one for me lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards