Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Would you be a happy guest?

My fiance and I are serious foodies and our friend who is a chef will be doing the food for our wedding. When we eat in his restaurant, we always do a multi course tasting menu and thought it would be a fun way to share our unique style with our guests. (We even had our first date in this restaurant which makes this extra special!)

As a guest, would you be happy with:

Cocktail hour with lots of hors d'oeuvres

Main menu which is small "tasting" plates which are about 1/2 of a regular portion:

Corn soup with a lobster (or grilled veggie  for the vegetarians) garnish
Mixed green salad on the table for guests to enjoy at their leisure along with various kinds of bread
Small plate of Tilapia served over seasonal veggies with the restaurant signature truffle vinagrette
Small plate of butternut squash lasagna with a delicate creamy cheese sauce
Small plate of braised short ribs of beef with smoked potato and veggies

**Special plates will be created for my vegetarian and gluten free guests

Dessert:

Wedding Cake
Mini cupcakes in various flavors
Gluten free chocolate torte

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Wedding Pic Preview

Anniversary

Re: Would you be a happy guest?

• Options
    I love this idea.  Which restaurant does your friend work for?
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    This sounds fantastic! 
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    Wow!!!  I would be an incredibly happy guest!  <trying not to drool on the keyboard>
  • Options
    I think that sounds great!  As a vegetarian, it's so exciting to have multi-course tasting meals where I can actually eat multiple courses.

Are the cupcakes going to be different flavors from the wedding cake?  If not, I would skip the cupcakes and just go for the wedding cake and chocolate torte, but that's obviously not a big deal either way.
  • Options
    I'm not a foodie and I am certain Satan had something to do with fish and butternut squash.  Hate it.  A lot.  Don't even get me started on salmon.

That being said, I would be able to find something to eat in your menu that would be enjoyable - like the shortribs and veggies, along with the salad.  You also have lots of apps at your reception so I'm sure I would have a great time foodwise.

Just thought you would like to hear from a non-foodie.  I think  your menu would be fine.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
    GoodLuckBear-we are using Majolica restaurant in Phoenixville
    JessicaBessica-we are having various cupcake flavors which my wedding cake baker specializes in.
    Kmm-Thanks for a "non-foodie" input. Sounds like you would be happy with our menu too.
    Woohoo, I feel much better about this now. Thanks!

Wedding Pic Preview

Anniversary
  • Options
    Ummm so I can get an invite to your wedding no? Sounds delish.
    :)
  • Options
    All of that sounds DELICIOUS! You have a variety of dishes to choose from and they all have a unique twist to them! I love the cupcake idea! I'm thinking about going with that idea also..what flavors are you thinking about offering? I don't know what flavors would be the biggest hit. Have you found a bakery for the cupcakes yet?
  • Options
    Marylynn- We have found a baker already. I discovered her cupcakes at a bridal show and fell in love. She has about 30 cupcake flavor combos so we haven't picked yet but I know one of those flavors has to be chocolate peanut butter. I am a peanut butter lover and her PB icing is the best I have ever tasted. We are having about 125-150 guests and we will probably select 4 cupcake flavors (they are mini cupcakes so people can enjoy a few and not feel too overwhelmed.)

Wedding Pic Preview

Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm so hungry now! :)
  • Options
    I am also a foodie, and that sounds incredible.

I'd recommend having menus on the tables or at the place settings so your guests know what to expect. That way if they don't like one of the earlier small plates served, they know they will love the next one...........however, I am of the opinion that people try things at events that they would never order in a restaurant.
  • Options
    Um, yes. I am a vegetarian AND a foodie and I love tasting menus.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_would-you-be-a-happy-guest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:8701d6b1-f4c4-41f7-9de9-3579393b5368Post:623de909-fc01-4cb9-98da-1844bc38f3e7">Re: Would you be a happy guest?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am also a foodie, and that sounds incredible. I'd recommend having menus on the tables or at the place settings so your guests know what to expect. That way if they don't like one of the earlier small plates served, they know they will love the next one...........however, I am of the opinion that <strong>people try things at events that they would never order in a restaurant</strong>.
    Posted by Sue-n-Kevin[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>You know, you are probably right about that!  I would never in a million years order butternut anything at a restaurant, but I would most likely taste it if I were a guest at OP's wedding. Good point!

</div>
  • Options
    Hands down, that is one of the nicest wedding menus I've read. What is your stance on party crashers!?
  • Options
    I think I gained a few pounds just reading this post! What an incredible menu...your guests are sooo lucky. By the way you can just send MY invite on the knot. ;)
  • Options
    I'm so excited to hear that everyone likes our menu choices. We are going to have a menu card at each place setting so guests will know what to expect. I just hope that our guests will be as excited and open minded as all of you!

Wedding Pic Preview

Anniversary
  • Options
    As a GF guest I would be thrilled! It all sounds wonderful! I love the idea of a tasting menu for a wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards