New Jersey
Options

Vent: I hate the word assistant

I have never been, and will never be your assistant. It is not my job, has never been in my title and yes, at times I assist you when you don't know what you're doing, but I am not your assistant. Get it through your skull that just b/c I'm in my twenties and a female, I can be more than that. And when I ask you not to call me your assistant, don't ask me "then what are you?" Really?? I send you how many emails a day with my title in it! Get over yourself and shut the F up! (sorry to those that are assistants, I just can't stand this!). Vent over.
*~allie~*

Re: Vent: I hate the word assistant

• Options
    StefaniBelStefaniBel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is nothing wrong about being an assistant.  I am working as an assistant for now and I am a great help for the people who need me. 

But I can imagine your frustration about having a title and have people calling an assistant.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In my experience, people who have that attitude are paranoid about the young female's competance and have to have some way to "take her down a notch."  I hate that kind of stuff.  People can get so threatened and defensive.  Newsflash - just b/c you admit that I am smart and good at my job doesn't mean that you are not those things and that you aren't acomplished, have status, blah, blah, blah.  And if you aren't, that has nothing to do with me, and you need to work on that instead of making unhelpful comments about me or refusing to acknowledge you need my help even though taking it would be for the good of the project.

So yeah, I hear ya!  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_vent-hate-word-assistant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:97b5f6d6-8e6e-4209-9ee2-5ac6048208dePost:aeec56be-4b71-4189-ac2f-1814c91c2900">Re: Vent: I hate the word assistant</a>:
    [QUOTE]There is nothing wrong about being an assistant.  I am working as an assistant for now and I am a great help for the people who need me.  But I can imagine your frustration about having a title and have people calling an assistant.
    Posted by StefaniBel[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean to say there's anything wrong with being an assistant. It's just that I'm not and I cannot stand that just because I'm a girl in my 20's they can't realize I'm anything more than an assistant. It's a new guy here and he's so rude I can't stand it.
    *~allie~*

• Options
    felicia220felicia220 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I understand your frustration Allie. I am going to school for Interior Design and people constantly say "Oh you want to be an Interior Decorator?" NO! I want to be and Interior Designer, there is a huge difference!  Interior Design is half Architecture and half Decorating, I don't just pick out color swatches and find a "pretty" couch. I have to know how the structure of your house is laid out and what kind of structure it is, where your wiring and plumbing is and I have to create architect drawings.  My vent over, Allie I feel your pain.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards