Ohio-Columbus

First day on the new job...

First day was okay :) I was overwhelmed and I am afraid I will never understand it all! One thing I am afraid of... I was hired through a temp service, but they told me there was a very strong possibility this position would be a full-time, permanent position in a few months. After talking with this company today, this also means my hours could change significantly. Right now hours are 8-4 (perfect!)... they told me, "Glad you are flexible because your hours could start later in the afternoon here soon." What?! I never told them I was flexible. I know I sound petty and ridiculous, but FI and I wil never be able to see each other if I work late hours, we won't be able to meet with vendors, and starting a family after we are married would not work. Plus, I am not a night person at all... I literally go to bed at like 9:30 each night (I know, I know... I am an old lady according to some people! LOL). What would you all do? I mean, I want to do well and give this company everything I can. I consider myself a diligent worker and I always try to remember to put others above myself, but I am having a hard time knowing that my hours could just up and change someday. I am very blessed to have a job right now, but I am just upset that they either may not keep me after 3-6 months or will just make me work night shift. Advice?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: First day on the new job...

• edited December 2011
    Ok... I never thought I could work nights, and guess where I am at right now, lol. I love night shift, I use to be that girl that was in bed at 9:30 but you can do it if need be!!!! It sucks for the first couple of weeks to be on nights but it gets a lot easier.

Don't stress too much now because things change and they might need you on days in 3-6 months, or if you go to nights you can always keep looking for days at your current company or somewhere. I would not stress now though.

My FI works day shift, 7-4 and I still get to see him, I don't know your hours but I work 7p-730a and I get to see him when he gets home for a few hours. and on the weekends and my days off.

Don't stress too much and don't say anything until they put you on nights and then see if you can switch, you don't want to sound too needy right at the  beginning.

Good luck with your job, I hope this helps.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with Tiffany - the schedule isn't changing NOW....so knock out the vendors you can so if it does change no worries.  DH used to have a different schedule but it wasn't bad we are now back to a similar schedule which has ups and downs....and to be honest when we get ready to have a kid I think one of us will seek employment with different schedules...why...save on childcare (just throwing that out there since you had brought it up).

Ride the wave you still can look elsewhere for employment but you can be proactive in working (getting paid) knocking out vendors and getting the ground work laid now so it won't be terrible if the change does happen.

Keep us posted!
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • jnkreagerjnkreager member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I started a new job a month and a half ago, and I work 12:30-10:00 pm.  I thought I would HATE the hours, but I have really adapted and now love them!  I am able to get up a 9:00, work out for an hour, do some laundry/dishes/whatever, and then get ready and go to work.  FH and I are both night owls so we watch a movie/cook dinner/whatever when I get home.  It has been really nice Smile
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!

I guess I am soooo used to "normal" hours (like the 8-5 thing) that having night hours doesn't appeal to me :( FI and I literally wouldn't see each other until the weekends if this time thing happened soon because he lives quite a ways from me. I think part of me is struggling because I know I am not doing what I was put on this earth to do... but paying the bills right now is what needs to be done! I keep reminding myself of that. I didn't really catch on anymore today.... this stuff is flying over my head!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • laurathereselauratherese member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've job-hopped a lot - I'm on my fourth new job in six years.  Here's my new-job expectation timeline in case you find it helpful.

0-3 months: expect to feel stupid on a regular basis.  befriend lots of different levels of co-workers so you can spread out questions as they come up and not annoy one person with them all.
    3-6 months: expect to be busy and relatively self-sufficient, but still asking a LOT of questions and taking longer to complete things than co-workers (since there's no real auto-pilot yet.) 
    6-12 months: you won't need to ask nearly as many questions, but you'll still be asking them.
    12+ months: can't call it the "new" job anymore.  questions, when they come up occaisionally, still aren't bad.  
    Sometime in there, once you've built your reputation as a good worker, you can start bringing things up like ideal work hours, etc.

I've always found in a new job that people appreciate when you ask questions - they'd much rather you admit you don't know and work to find out the answer rather than fake it or be misinfomed.  So wear your "new kid" badge with pride and maximize on it!  It's the best time to learn.  I take the approach of trying to find an answer or approach myself, and then take the question to my boss with a recommendation, like "This is my issue, and I think that X is the right approach.  Do you agree, or am I missing anything?"

The first year and a half of our relationship, my FI and I had different schedules - he was working crazy late and weekend hours.  The bright side was that it was easy for me to keep on track with my meal plan and work out routine since he wasn't around to tempt me with bad thoughts like skipping a workout or a chipotle burrito.  (And when we were able to hang out, we had a blast.)  So maybe that's at least a silver lining... :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards