Pre-wedding Parties
Options

year in advanced?

I am a Matron of Honor in my best friend's May 2014 wedding. The couple has already had an engagement dinner & her mother wants a party in 2013 so guest don't forget the event is coming up the next year. To help her mother out, I've had the thought of throwing a "preversary party." Nothing formal, something like a back yard BBQ on the same day but a year early. Gifts wouldn't be expected so it would just be a party but there would be a raffle/doorprize for DONATIONS to their honeymoon fund. 

Is it cheesy to make it a preversary party?
and is the Donation for the honeymoon in bad taste?

Re: year in advanced?

• Options
    kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2012
    The entire idea is in bad taste and I would distance myself from MOB if this is how she is going to approach her DD's wedding.  It is very presumptious of her to think she has to keep the wedding on everyone's radar.  Lot's of couples have long engagements and they can just send out STDs next Summer.  I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole.
  • Options
    Yes it's cheesy, although I'd liken it more to attention whorish. And yes it would be in bad taste. If wedding guests want to give the couple a monetary gift, they'll write a check and put it in a card. Please don't participate in these plans.

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • Options
    Agree with PPs.  This is a not a good idea.  VIPs will already have the date on their radar and those that aren't VIPs will be forewarned about the event via Save the Dates and the invitation.  Please don't indulge this MOB and do not let any even turn into cash solicitations for the honeymoon - guests should not be asked to fund any part of the wedding, under any circumstances.  With two years, your friends should be able to save for that themselves.

If the MOB wants to "countdown" to the event, suggest she take the bride and groom out for a nice dinner on their date.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Don't do this and discourage her mom from doing it as well. You can send out STDs a year or so in advance so people don't forget about the date. And it's horrendously rude to ask for donations to pay for a honeymoon, or really, to pay for anything.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    Please don't throw this party. And please don't solicit "donations." It's a wedding; not a charity.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_year-in-advanced?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:b9f72a70-2cfe-40d9-91f6-3d5abf31759cPost:6d4d60f1-505d-4724-adbb-7b482b5a11ab">Re: year in advanced?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't do this and discourage her mom from doing it as well. You can send out STDs a year or so in advance so people don't forget about the date. And it's horrendously rude to ask for donations to pay for a honeymoon, or really, to pay for anything.
    Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]

All of the above. Why not just have a cookout for friends/family? No need to make any mention of the bride and groom...I'm sure people have not forgotten. Even so, if they send invites out 3 months in advance, that's really enough time for most people to make plans.
    imageAnniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards