Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Adult Only Reception

So i have a question how can i not sound rude or offend anyone by telling them that the reception will be adults only. we only plan on having 5 young people at the ceremony because there in the wedding which is my 2 niece on will be 5 and the other will be 14 at the time of the wedding the my fiance niece which she'll be 6 and my 2 younger cousins which will be 15 and 16 the older ones will be junior brides and the 2 little ones will be flower girls but how do i tell evryone else that no kids are allowed and what if people decided to bring kids any way ive been to "so called" adult only receptions where people still brought kids the ones that are in our wedding will be leaving after dinner so i just want to know how do i sound firm with the no kids thing but not come off as a B***h lol

Re: Adult Only Reception

• Options
    Simply address the invitations to those that are invited. Make sure to not include 'adults only' on the invitation, as that is rude. If you feel like you need to go to extra lengths, include their names on the RSVP card:

Mr. and Mrs. Smith OR We have reserved two seats in your honor
    __Happily Accept
    __Regretfully Decline
  • Options
    We did

_____  John Doe will atttend

_____ John Doe will not attend

_____ Jane Doe will attend

_____ Jane Doe will not attend
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    We adressed the invitation to only those invited (Mr. and Mrs. Smith, not Mr. and Mrs. Smith and Family).  On the RSVP card we indicated how many seats were reserved incase the adressing wasn't clear.  We also had our parents mention it in conversation to family if the wedding was brought up.  My cousin did bring his daughter (I think she was 14 at the time) and we welcomed her just like the rest of our guests.  It really wasn't a big deal that we had anyone bring their kids.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Since PPs have covered the invitation thing, I would like to add: please, PLEASE just call the teenagers bridesmaids. "Junior" anything is insulting, no matter one's age.
  • Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2012
    So the five kids who are IN your wedding -- are they invited to the reception? It would be kind of rude to have them in your ceremony and not invite them to celebrate with you afterward (and could make it difficult for their parents to attend the reception either, as they would need to take the kids home and arrange for child care). As for other kids, just put the adults' names on the invitations. If anyone RSVPs with a child in their party, call and say something like "I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, but the invitation was only for Dan and Susan, and we can't accommodate Little Jimmy. "
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_adult-only-reception-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:a7fbbcbd-d266-4f93-a6f4-ede6b23ad62bPost:1990a786-aae1-47b0-aeb7-2db18b302832">Re: Adult Only Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]So the five kids who are IN your wedding -- are they invited to the reception? It would be kind of rude to have them in your ceremony and not invite them to celebrate with you afterward (and could make it difficult for their parents to attend the reception either, as they would need to take the kids home and arrange for child care).

As for other kids, just put the adults' names on the invitations. If anyone RSVPs with a child in their party, call and say something like "I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, but the invitation was only for Dan and Susan, and we can't accommodate Little Jimmy. "
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

Yes the ones that are in the wedding are allowed to the reception but i just don't want other people to be offened if i say its adult only besides the 5 lol
  • Options
    Thanks so much everyone for the great ideas i just don't want to come off rude these are some great suggestions keep them coming actually ;-)
  • Options
    You do run the risk of upsetting people that some children are invited, but not others.  However, most people understand that the children in the WP will be at the reception.  And honestly, at15 and 16 I think those two are practically adults anyway.  

DSC_9275
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_adult-only-reception-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:a7fbbcbd-d266-4f93-a6f4-ede6b23ad62bPost:359d39b2-29c7-4688-87f3-c1c9a49ba582">Re: Adult Only Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]<u>Putting "number of seats reserved" is asking for trouble.</u>  Sue may decide that since her husband can't attend, it's just fine to bring Little Sugarbuns, or even her next-door neighbor. An invitation is only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed.  If someone is so rude as to respond "and Little Sugarbuns!" or "plus one" then the couple is entitled to ring them up and explain sweetly that the event is adults-only/they have a limited guest list.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

no it's not. we did that and everyone got it. we wrote the names on the RSVP card instead of that irritating blank line Mr(s)____________ where they fill in the name.

• Options
    the only 2 children that will be attending my wedding and reception will be my niece and nephew and that is because of how close i am to them and beacause they are in the bridal party.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards