Moms and Maids
Options

different style dresses, same color

I've been planning this all along, different styles of dresses because my maids are all shaped very differently. But in the same color. I sent out an email yesterday letting them know the details, long, horizon color (David's Bridal), and (mostly) satin. I wanted them to all be the same fabric so the color would match the best. My MOH asked if it had to be satin. So now I have some things to reconsider. Do they have to match exactly, does it really matter? Anybody have any pictures of different dresses, different fabrics, and same hue. All the ones I'm finding are either the same fabric or different hues entirely.
Thanks!

Re: different style dresses, same color

• Options
    I went with DB too, and picked the lapis color. I have 3 girls in chiffon and one in satin. I don't think its a big deal. I've seen some awesome pictures of different color dresses etc. I also love that the satin dress is my MOH/Sister so I think it will be cute that hers stands out a little more.

My mom threw a little fit about shoes needing to match next (My girls are all wearing short dresses!). I have girls with shoe sizes from 5 to 10 and the in betweens are one who likes heels and one who doesn't (yes the one with size 5 has to special order shoes or buy kid sizes frequently). I told them to wear champagne, nude, or even gold would work. Something that is sort of "skin tone" so it blends in.

Since you have picked long dresses, I would think shoes matter even less.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Some brides prefer their MOH to stand out a bit from the other BMs. It would look fine, IMO, for her to have a different fabric in the same color for her dress. Could you go to David's to look at sample dresses of differnt fabrics in the same color, to see how they look together? If you don't like the look, it's ok for you to say that you want everyone in satin.

• Options
    From my dress shopping, fabric did make a big difference.  My sister/MOH, mom, and I looked at bridesmaids dresses together, and we all agreed, from the fashion aware to the fashion oblivious, that there was a huge visual difference between navy satin and navy chiffon.  I don't have a pic, but the chiffon was not shiny like the satin, and the color was softer, less intense and dramatic.  It didn't look like the same color at all, even though it was.

If you want your MOH to look distinct from the others, let her wear what she wants.  Otherwise, you're already being flexible, it's OK to put your foot down on satin.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    RaptorSLHRaptorSLH member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Actually yes, I do have pics!  My long-distance BM sent me pics of herself in several dresses.  See if you can tell what parts are satin, and what parts are chiffon.  (Images cropped for her privacy.  Yes, the pics are crappy.  The professional photos of these dresses were too photoshopped to be useful for this purpose.) 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LoveMuffinsLoveMuffins member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    I did this with my girls, they all decided to wear the same fabric because they didn't want to stand out, but my MOH was already standing out in a different color anyway. To be honest, I don't think it makes a big difference.

My MOH's dress was two different fabrics - chiffon on top and satin on bottom and the shades don't look different:

And I had a BM that had a chiffon sash on her satin dress, and again the shades didn't look diff:

I think that as long as they get them from the same store the shades will all be close enough that it's not going to matter whether their dresses are all the exact same fabric.
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • Options
    I think that for lighter colors, satin and chiffon are more likely to be the same color than for darker colors.  My BMs are wearing black knee-length dresses so I wanted them all to wear the same fabric.  I chose satin because most designers have more style options in satin than in chiffon.  Also, most chiffon dresses seem to be flowy, and I know that would make one of my BMs look enormous.

I want them to all wear black shoes, but I think it's ridiculous to specify the exact style of shoe, especially since they are picking their own dresses.  So I told them to pick their own shoes but to try to avoid really modern / funky / weird styles.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That would make sense.  I was looking at navy, and it made a huge difference in navy.  Although I disagree with Muffins, and think that, even in her pictures, it makes a clear difference.  Not bad, but definitely distinct.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Kate61487Kate61487 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited January 2012
    While the colors will technically be the same the satin shines a lot more, so it will look different. 

Here's an image I found on google (so I'm not gonna bother cropping heads off people I don't know) of the satin next to the cotton sateen.  Do they look different?  yes.  Is it a huge deal? probably not.  Just depends on what you want.

FWIW - the cotton sateen looked MUCH less formal, IMO, than the satin or chiffon dresses, so that might be something else to consider.  She just said "not satin" so I don't know which way she was thinking of going.

*edit* actually, now that I think about it, I don't know that there are cotton sateen long dresses, I think they're all short - so that might not matter in the slightest
  • Options
    My bridesmaids got their dresses for DB and three of them got satin, and two got a type of cotton sateen. The colors are exactly the same, it's just the shine of the fabric that is different. I took a picture of the two dresses next to each other, and I was fine with the way it looked. I don't think the color difference will be that noticable, but it's up to you.
  • Options
    I told my girls to get a knee length petunia dress from AA. 2 of my BMs got satin and 2 got chiffon. I coudn't care less, but that's just me. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    saric83saric83 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2012
    Here are pictures from our wedding.  Everyone had all satin except my MOH, whose dress had satin on the top and chiffon on the bottom (you can definitely see the difference, but I thought it looked great in that color.)  I wouldn't have cared if they were all different though, but some colors might not pop nearly as well in different fabrics.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards