Honeymoon Discussions
Options

East Coast Honeymoon ideas? No flying please

My Fiance and I don't like to fly.  We're from the Hudson Valley in NY, so we're looking for an East Coast Honeymoon in June (Wedding June 10, 2012).  We originally considered a cruise, but I think we will be taking that idea for our First Anniversary so we can save up the money (and hopefully not get sea sick since I've never cruised before!)  Any ideas/suggestions?
Thank you

Re: East Coast Honeymoon ideas? No flying please

• Options
    You might have better luck on your local board but I'll give it a try...

What about Quebec or Atlantic Canada (assuming you and your FH have the ability to obtain passports) or Maine is very lovely.

Do you guys prefer big cities with museums and clubs or smaller towns/camping?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I will also second the recommendation of Quebec. You could visit Quebec City and Montreal.

If you haven't visited before, I would recommend the combination of Boston/Cape Cod/Nantucket/Martha's Vineyard.
  • Options
    I'm from Florida so I recommend South Florida as well....
    But Quebec City and Montreal are beautiful.....it depends on what you guys like to do.
    I also love Philly and DC.....
  • Options
    The Outter Banks in NC?
  • Options
    Thanks for the input.  We've considered all of the above.  We don't really want to do something that we would go on for just a normal vacation (like the Outer Banks or Florida, both of which we've done before), and my parents went to Canada and did that trip for there honeymoon.  Not that there's anything wrong with it, it just seems like its been done before to me and I would like something to be my own.  We want something special that wouldn't just be an ordinary vacation.  Maybe a resort of some kind?  I'm really just not sure.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_east-coast-honeymoon-ideas-no-flying-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:d6649b8c-d65b-4e1d-a181-0ba1da6b45e4Post:641c1436-808b-49c3-85b4-beffdd346547">Re: East Coast Honeymoon ideas? No flying please</a>:
    [QUOTE]Florida?
    Posted by beth34608[/QUOTE]

Florida is a bit of a drive from NY...

What type of trip do you want this to be, beach, city, or mountains and hiking?
    How far are you willing to drive? 
    Do you want to stay in one place or take more of a mini-road trip?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_east-coast-honeymoon-ideas-no-flying-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:d6649b8c-d65b-4e1d-a181-0ba1da6b45e4Post:a9fd9bc3-8627-4562-bca8-06c366d6bc40">Re: East Coast Honeymoon ideas? No flying please</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: East Coast Honeymoon ideas? No flying please : Florida is a bit of a drive from NY... What type of trip do you want this to be, beach, city, or mountains and hiking? How far are you willing to drive?  Do you want to stay in one place or take more of a mini-road trip?
    Posted by xctennis[/QUOTE]

<div><div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;color:#1f1f1f;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;text-align:left;line-height:normal;">Probably staying in one place.  Can be anything from beach to mountains. Not too specific.  I had thought I was going on a Caribbean Cruise, so that type of feel is still in my head at the moment.  We have made the drive from NY to FL before.  We've also done the trip by train.  It is far though.  We probably don't want to go too much further south than maybe North/South Carolina.  I'd like a combination of being able to relax comfortably but also have something available to do so it doesn't get too boring.</div></div>
  • Options
    Maybe a fancy resort on Cape Cod?  Chatham Bars or Wequassett come to mind as a home base, and you could drive around to other towns on the Cape during the week. 
  • Options
    Ideas!
    Cape Cod or Nantucket, Massachusetts - relaxed beaches, sleepy beach towns, maybe some wineries.  You could stop in Boston for a night or two along the way
    Maine and Rhode Island are lovely in the summer
    If you want more of a Vegas feel, you could do Atlantic City and enjoy the beach at the same time.
    You could see if there is a cruise to Bermuda leaving from NYC - you would arrive there faster by boat than you would the Caribbean

Anniversary
  • Options
    What about Cape Cod or Nantucket? Or take the train to Montreal.
  • Options
    I would recommend Asheville, NC, have you seen the Biltmore Estate? They have an Inn and there are many cabins around there are well. They have a nice art scene as well.
  • Options
    You don't say how long you want your HM to last, so it's hard to give the best advice.

While you want to stay in one place, since you are driving, what about more than one place? Say, pick a place on the way to the Carolinas, maybe DC (which is one of my favorite cities), then continue on to a relaxing beach vacation in North or South Carolina? If you haven't been to DC, it's an amazing city, almost everything you want to see is free (all the Smithsonians, Archives, the Mint).

The farther south you go, the warmer it will be in June.

I've been to Charleston SC and it is a beautiful, romantic place with cobblestone streets and lots of history. The French Quarter Inn is one of the best hotels in the country. Every restaurant is like a 4 star restaurant. There are also hotels with spas on the beaches.

Pick a few cities on a map on the coast and go to www.tripadvisor.com and search hotels with descriptions of "romantic" or for "couples".
  • Options
    I would totally do a cruise out of NY.  Don't worry about getting seasick, just get yourself some Dramamine pills and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    Acadia National Park in Maine is gorgeous! In June it shouldn't be too cold! If you want something warmer, Charleston, Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach in South Carolina, Outer Banks in North Carolina, Virginia Beach.

I also like PP suggestions about doing a cruise out of NY.  The one to Bermuda looks fabulous! That's on my wishlist :)
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    Lots of good suggestions already...I'd say, in no particular order:

Hilton Head, SC
    Outers Banks, NC
    Asheville, NC 
    Cape Cod
    Block Island
    Portsmouth, NH
    White Mountains in NH
    Maine Coast
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I also agree on the cruise out of NY.  Bermuda is amazing! 

You can save money by having all your meals on the ship while it's docked!  And you can buy a multi-day bus pass to get around the island. The pass also works for the ferry! 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I have friends who went to Pigeon Forge, TN and did a ton of adventure-type stuff (four wheeling, ziplining, etc.).  They rented a really adorable cabin in the woods for not that much money, and had an awesome time. 
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    Niagara Falls
    Finger Lakes Wine Region
    Lake George
    Chautauqua Institution
  • Options
    For your seasickness try Bonine. You can find it over the counter at your pharmacy. My husband did not even have to use it on our cruise, and he usually gets sick on boats. I htink however the ships are so large you can not feel that you are moving really.

And avoid the tailend of the ship as this seems to be the pat of the ship where you can feel the most movement at least on my three cruises htis was true.

Love to cruise look forward to yours

As prior post stated if you can cruise to Bermuda that is the way to do it. I learned that from a couple I met on a cruise that lived in Bermuda. That was heir recomendation to me when I said I wanted to go there, much cheaper to cruise there
  • Options
    What about Savannah GA? That is near Tybee island about a 20 minute drive so you get the best of both worlds. Savannah is BEAUITFUL!

Also Charleston is awesome as you have the beach near by also
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I would echo previous posters and recommend Asheville, NC, but also say to continue driving west after a few days in Asheville and head to the Great Smoky Mountains in eastern Tennessee. Blackberry Farm is in the foothills of the mountains, and is a one of a kind experience that might be the something special you're looking for in a honeymoon. Google the resort and see if it's for you: I know numerous regulars that vacation there every year and love it. We have the cookbook, and one day hope to stay there. For a more affordable approach, there are tons of cabin rentals in the Smokies also. Charleston, Martha's Vineyard, or Montreal would be good bets. If you want to try cruising now, but cheaper/shorter than what you'd plan on for your first anniversary, there are some interesting itineraries that are quirky and not the norm that stop in Maine and Nova Scotia/Halifax, Canada. Holland America and Carnival appear to have itineraries in New England and Canada in June 2012 leaving from Boston or NYC. eta: spelling.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards