Missouri-Kansas City
Options

Outdoors in October??

I'm changing my question because I finally got ahold of someone at KCMO parks and rec who answered all my questions... however, I have one for you all:

Well, FI and I got all excited today because we were looking at the history of the weather in the first two weeks of October here in KC... and we realized that it really hasn't been all that bad. This past year on the weekend of our wedding it was 70* out! It averages anywhere from 50-70*, with actually very little rain (for at least that weekend). I know history isn't completely reliable for predictions, however.

That being said, I've been FREAKING OUT trying to figure out how to accomodate a ton of OOT guests at our welcome/rehearsal lunch type deal.

Is it worth the risk to try and have an outdoor welcome lunch at that time of year? What I'd ideally like to do is a picnic/park day, where we'd be able to play volleyball/kickball/whatever, eat some BBQ, and just mingle the day before the wedding. VERY casual.

We're thinking Swope Park, and one of their covered pavilions that you can rent has fire places that they said were available to us. It's also $60 to rent so I figure if something happens then oh well, we're out $60 and no welcome lunch. :/

What do you all think? Comments? Concerns?

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

Re: Outdoors in October??

• Options
    HammysGirlHammysGirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm... the only thing similar to this that I have done is rented a shelter through Shawnee Mission Park. I just called and reserved a shelter for a date/time. I brought all the activites and food and had to make sure we were all cleaned up afterwards.

What kind of questions do you have?

• Options
    prideeinpynkprideeinpynk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, I got most of my questions cleared up... the parks & rec people called me back, thankfully!

I guess my main concern is alchohol... They said it's not allowed, but do people still have it? When we were in college and would go camping there were always "no alcohol" laws, but we always brought it anyway. I'm not thinking of getting everyone plastered, but it's a picnic and I'd like to be able to bring a keg or something.

And then also the stuff about October and ther weather here... sorry, I changed my post quite a bit after they called me back.

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• Options
    HammysGirlHammysGirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'd say go for it. Any time you plan something outdoors, you take the chance of weather not cooperating. Like you said, if it doesn't work out, then you're out $60. If it DOES work out, then you have a very fun welcome lunch that is appreciated by all! :-)

As far as alcohol goes, I'd say it's up to you. If you did something, I'd try to keep it discreet (ie: maybe in the back of someone's van?) and, like you said, not let people get out of control. I don't know if thi violates any state laws (if it's a state park) but it'd be worth looking into what the penalities would be to see if it's "worth it".

• Options
    nikkifeenikkifee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It could really go either way... Last october a good friend of ours got married at the park by nelson atkins... it was 40 degrees that day... and it felt FREEZING... however, the next weekend, it was 60 degrees. So you might try to keep in mind some options on what to do if it does end up being cold and/or rainy.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Go for it! On the invites just try to come up with a creative way to ask guests to dress accordingly for weather. Especially if the OOT'ers are from out of state and don't really know what to plan for. You really arent out too much money if you get rained out and maybe you could even have a parents house or friends house as a "back up" Maybe set some stuff up in the garage or something if it's large enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards