Plus-Sized

My Dress. Looking for opinions please. PIP XP.

Hi Ladies.

My situation. Ordered my dress. Got it in. Didn't seem like the sample. Fabric seemed cheaper, color was lighter, beading seemed harsh, and cut into my arms when I wore it.

I have been told that the only way to fix it is to add a jacket, remove the beading, or cover the underarm of the bodice with fabric. However, my seamstress feels that it may be more trouble than it seems to fix it.

My fiancee wanted to tank it and go look for another dress, so we went today. The owner of that bridal shop informed me that she had heard that the designer of my dress, rather than raise their prices had decided to cheapen their fabrics and beading on their gowns. It is her opinion that I got the first of their "updated" dresses, and that's why it seems more cheaply made. The first picture is my original dress. The second was the dress we liked the best of the ones we could find that I could try on. Because of my wedding date, I have to decide by Friday whether or not I want to order a new dress. I was wondering if you guys would give me an opinion on which looks better on me?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: My Dress. Looking for opinions please. PIP XP.

• The pictures are really small for me when I click on them, just an FYI. It's hard to see the details to comment on that.. they are similar and both fit you well

Could it be that the dress you tried on just softened from being tried on by so many brides over time?  I would hope that if you ordered a dress made of X and Y materials, that the dress would be made that way.. or that you would have been notified when ordering that the specifications of the dress have been changed (tafetta versus satin).

Do you like the new one better? Is there a way for your to make your money back from dress 1, or is it in budget to lose some money in the resale?
  • The second dress seems really pretty and flattering on you.  It's unfortunate the deigner and/or shop didn't tell you at the time of order that changes were occuring.  If the first dress is going to annoy you or you just aren't feeling fabulous in it, I'd go with the second, if you can afford it, and try to sell your dress,  Maybe the bridal shop could help you put it on consignment?  Good luck!
  • The salons sample wasn't a sample. I'd demand my money back.
  • I agree with the above post. The sample is not an actual sample. Ask for a refund.
    Photobucket Married at last! *11-18-11*
  • Get a refund for that nonsense!

It is unacceptable for them to do that, and in reality if they don't like it tell them to complain to the people making the dress. It is there fault in the long run that the boutique lost money.

Nic.
  • I like the wrap detail around the bodice of #1 - but #2 is definitely pretty as well.  It's important that you're comfortable in it; is the way the beading rubbed you a deal breaker?  if you don't think you can be comfortable in the dress all day then get the other one. 

I would see about getting a refund or some kind of compensation.  Ask to see the sample and put them side by side.  Was the sample your size where maybe you could convince them to give you a discount and you take the sample home and they have a new sample?
  • I originally purchased the sample because I loved it, and it was beautiful. The satin was a champagne/ivory color, and it looked elegant and lovely. I tried it on numerous times, and never had any issues with the beading scratching me. However, that dress was destroyed in a fire at the bridal salon, and they had to order me a "new" dress. The new dress came in and just doesn't seem the same. It looks more white than ivory, and the beading is leaving welts on my arms after just a few minutes. It just doesn't look like the fabric or the beading is the quality of the sample, but I can't get that dress back. It almost looks like they took the original dress and soaked it in bleach, if that makes any sense. I decided to stick with the first dress. My fiance' has been really ill, and in the hospital a lot, and that is costing us. We will probably have to cancel our honeymoon, and while he  wants me to get a new dress, it just isn't in the budget any longer. We are going to put a sweetheart neckline in the first dress, and try to add some kind of a cap sleeve, or something to cover the tops of my arms, or will try to cover the beading or remove it in some way. I really appreciate the help, ladies, and the comments. It means a lot to have some input. Thank you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like the first dress alot better.. but its whatever you feel more comfortable in.
  • I selected the second dress. I liked how the top part of the dress looked on you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards