Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Ceremony seating dilemma at Large(ish) wedding with no wedding party

Hi,
My FI and I have decided not to have a wedding party/attendants for a variety of reasons, and I'm happy with this decision.  However, I'm realizing it makes things a little more challenging in terms of ceremony seating, etc.  We won't have groomsmen or ushers - so how will people know when & where to sit?  There will be about 130 people invited.  Is it ok to have seating info on a nice chalkboard at the "front" of the ceremony space (ceremony will be held outside a rustic barn venue under a big tree)? And we are having a standing ceremony, with limited seating for those who need it (I know - I'm going to get some strong opinions on this one; I'm still on the fence so be easy on me) so how do I specify all this without having ushers/etc to guide guests?  I'm really trying NOT to hire a DOC but I feel uncomfortable asking some close friends to take on these duties because I don't want them to feel like they are doing the "job" of the wedding party without the honor of being IN the wedding.....does that make sense?  I feel like there is a way to make this all work - just can't figure out what it is!  Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.....

Re: Ceremony seating dilemma at Large(ish) wedding with no wedding party

• Options
    I know, I know, you are right! Like I said, I'm on the fence about the chairs....but tipping over into the 'suck it up and spend the measly couple hundred bucks on ceremony chairs for crying out loud' side!!! And having chairs At the ceremony would make the whole ceremony seating dilemma easier anyway..... Wouldn't have to hope people will figure out that only some of them get to sit and all that!!! Thank you!
  • Options
    Yeah, if you're on the fence about having chairs, I also urge you to get off the fence and have chairs.  Especially if the issue is just that you don't want to pay for them (rather than something about your venue that makes it very hard to have chairs).  That's not a high price to pay for your guests' comfort- especially when there's that many guests.  The only times standing weddings are even slightly likely to work is if it's a very small wedding, where everybody is still guaranteed a "good seat."  130 people all standing means not only discomfort, but that no one can see what's going on, because people will clump.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ceremony-seating-dilemma-at-largeish-wedding-with-no-wedding-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:afadcb20-af05-481b-b544-877eed486f0bPost:0e11e9c6-0388-4996-a304-be2d2d4b5904">Re:Ceremony seating dilemma at Largeish wedding with no wedding party</a>:
    [QUOTE] Really, skimping on chairs is one of the worst, rudest, most selfish things a couple can do to save money at a wedding, and it will be what people remember and talk about later.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Agreed. If people are uncomfortable they won't even be paying attention to your ceremony. They will be distracted by the intense pain in their feet and wishing desperately for you to wrap things up so they can sit down at the reception.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Definitely mark off the first couple of rows of seats.  I've been involved with more than one wedding where they didn't do it and people sat in the front row who weren't supposed to.

Another thing - having ushers can help spread things out.  If you wind up with a lot fewer peole than seats, it can get really unbalanced.  When friends of ours got married they had significantly more seating than people and almost everyone sat on the right, to the point where it was full, and maybe only 10 or 15 peole (of 60ish) sat on the left.
  • Options
    Just wanted to thanks for the ideas and suggestions. For those of you concerned with this, we will be renting chairs so I believe the seating dilemma is resolved. A tasteful sign will be at the 'entrance' letting people know to please seat themselves. I value the opinion of others who are in the midst of this wedding planning craziness (and fun) so again, thanks. Needed to convince the FI that this was a better route to go, and succeeded!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards