Catholic Weddings
Options

Wondering about this board.

Hi, I am planning a wedding for early next year. I have been coming on this site more frequently lately and I noticed this board was here. I also noticed there was a Christian board here. I just don't get it though. Catholics are Christian so why do we get our own board? I have no problem with a separate board of course, I just wasn't sure why we are segregated.

Re: Wondering about this board.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    True, Catholics are Christians. However, a Catholic ceremony and living the faith differs a bit from just a Christian ceremony. And Catholics believe marriage is a sacrament, whereas most Christians do not. I am not saying they don't believe in marriage and want the best for their marriage, but what makes Catholics a bit different is our focus on tradition and history within the Church.

You can go to a dozen Christian or Protestant churches and they will all do things differently. If you go to any Catholic church, the mass will be celebrated in the same way. And we have one governing and unifying body, most of the other Protestant faiths do not.
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Catholic board existed before the Christian board on the Knot.  The Catholic board came about because there are a lot of specifics to Catholic weddings that are not necessarily part of the popular culture, so we brides provide a lot of knowledge and experience with each other that would otherwise be difficult to obtain.  I guess some Christian brides petitioned to have a Christian board, but to my knowledge, it's hard to generalize across the different rules and beliefs of Baptists vs. Presbyterians, etc.  
  • Options
    blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for responding. I just wasn't sure why, but those are good reasons. I hadn't thought of those reasons but it makes sense. I guess there are a lot of things that would be specific to Catholic weddings. Thanks again to you both.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards