Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon Suggestions?

Fi and I are throwing around HM ideas and haven't settled on anything we love yet.  We have traveled a little together, but not extensively internationally.  We have 2 weeks to take and right now have around 12K set aside.  Our wedding is in September over Labor Day weekend so between now and then could probably save more if needed, or spend less if not necessary. 

Places we've liked: Oahu was OK, Nuevo Vallarta, Key West and he really loved Maui (we got engaged there).  Probably because we loved Maui so much,  he likes the idea of traveling to Kauai.  While I would eventually like to make it there, I feel like a honeymoon is more of a "once in a lifetime" trip and we've already been to Hawaii twice and will likely go again.  He likes Hawaii because he feels like we could definitely budget to fly first class and he is kind of a taller, bigger guy and would be more comfortable.  Plus it seems like the shortest flight. 

He also really liked the idea of Austrailia, but I think that if we would like to go there, we should push our HM back a few weeks so we can hit more in their summer.  (We really enjoy beaches, hiking, relaxing and snorkeling.)  He doesn't want to wait and would prefer to leave right away that Sunday evening.

Together we've also tossed around the idea of spending a week on the Amalfi coast of Italy and then maybe the second week in either Florence or Rome. 

A friend who recently HM'd suggested Tahiti (Moorea + Bora Bora) or Fiji.  I've seen pictures and these are both gorgeous, but I don't know much more.

Anyone have any experiences they'd like to share or suggestions?  Or places we haven't thought of yet? I don't mind planning, but we can't even settle on a destination yet, let alone flights + hotels!  Thanks in advance!  :) 

Re: Honeymoon Suggestions?

• If you are looking at Queensland to do the Barrier Reef etc then September is a great time, the weather is bareable and just hot enough. If you postpone to November you may hit rainy season or hit very warm weather. However later would be better for other parts of Australia such as Sydney or Melbourne.
    Personally with only 2 weeks I would just concentrate on Queensland with 2/3 nights in Sydney (as you will probably have to land/leave from there anyways).

You could stay in the Daintree area, visit Fraser Island etc
  • What about a cruise? There are some great ones out there, then you could visit more than just one country. Good Luck !!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • With that budget, you have many options, which can make the decision more difficult. No matter the destination, I would highly recommend an all inclusive; it was the best aspect of our HM in Jamaica!

I would recommend working with the same travel agency we did; unforgettablehoneymoons.com. You can call or email and be hooked up with a travel agent (we spoke with the same one throughout the planning process and after. And we're contacting him again for out 1 yr anniversary trip). He arranged everything for us. All we had to do was print our flight confirmation and remember our passports! They offer really great deals because the company maintains special relationships with the hotels and resorts. They can answer any questions you have, and help you decide the destination that would be good for you. And it's a free service. Good luck; this is the best part of the wedding to plan!!
  • It really depends exactly what you want to go for. My fiance and I decided on Thailand because it is more of a 'once in a lifetime' type of place for us. It combined amazing beaches and culture. We also looked at Australia, but it would've been a little too chilly for the beach at that time (I like it hot if all I'm wearing is a bathing suit!). Moorea or Bora Bora is great to just sit on the beach and do nothing. I also considered Mauritius + a safari, Maldives, Cook Islands, Seychelles and Fiji. Bali is another exotic place, but I would check to see if there are any current travel warnings for there.

I've heard from people that left for their honeymoon weeks after their wedding and they wished they left right away. I think there is some sort of high you'll still be on from the whole experience.
  • Omg! We are having the same exact problem except we are getting married in 93 days and still can't commit to anything! Can someone give me more info on Maldives? How far from NY? Is there stuff to do there?
  • It really depends what you want to do on your honeymoon. Do you want to relax and stay at the beach or do you want more of an exploration trip? After that you can narrow the places down as I have been to most of the places that were suggested above.

Moorea & Bora Bora (Tahiti) - I have been to both and will be getting married in Bora Bora in September staying at the St. Regis. This is a perfect trip if you want to have a more secluded and romantic honeymoon staying in an over the water bungalow. There is not a lot of nightlife but you can swim with the sharks and manta's do a lot of fun excursions or my favorite just lay on your bungalow. This is an expensive trip and it is a long trip to go to because you have to take a ferry to Moorea or a flight from papeete Tahiti to Bora Bora. This is definitely not a quick trip like it is to go to Hawaii.

Maldives - This was the most amazing vacation i ever took. With that being said it is a complete pain to get to. I did Dallas to London, layover in london and london to Male. From Male you have to take a seaplane over to whichever hotel you are staying in. There are a kajillion islands in the Maldives. Most Hotels are 1 hotel to an island. It is private. I stayed at the Waldorf Astoria Beach House in an over the water bungalow. It is quiet, romantic and secluded. No cars and you can only eat in the hotel because there is no place to go BUT it was a dream trip. Far far away but i would do it again and again. 

The Amalfi Coast Florence Rome (Italy Trip) - The weather will be spectacular in September for your honeymoon but this is an exploring trip. I love Italy and you can relax a little on the Amalfi Coast but there is a lot to do and see here especially in Rome and Florence. So you are constantly going..... 

Australia - I went to Sydney & the Gold Coast - You can mix this trip up by making it relaxing and exploring. There are a lot of fun things to do in Sydney like climbing the Sydney Harbor Bridge or visiting the Opera House but personally if it was me i would want to visit them during their Spring or Summer. I went in Feb and the weather was fantastic.

Kauai - The St Regis Princeville is amazing but if you think you can come to Hawaii in the future then i would opt for doing something on your honeymoon that you might not normally do. Just remember you will talk about your honeymoon forever with all your friends and family so make it really special! Enjoy!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards