Second Weddings

Flu

So the flu season is in full swing, and the bulk of the country is listed as having intense flu activity.  I thought I would just put some flu information on here to share with everyone.

If you have not yet gotten one, it is not too late to get a flu shot.  Even if you get exposed in the near future, you will likely have a reduced severity of illness if you have been immunized. 
The vaccine is a pretty good match for the strains of flu that are circulating.  You may have heard of people who have been immunized and still got the flu.  That is true.  It relates to how well your body develops antibodies in response to the vaccine.  Older folks don't respond as well as younger people.  But there is still more than 50% response. 

The most important thing you can do to protect yourself is to WASH YOUR HANDS.  It doesn't matter if it's soap & water or alcohol sanitizer.  And if you come in contact with surfaces that are handled by others, be sure to wash your hands immediately after touching them.  If you use shared equipment at work (such as a keyboard or phone) wipe it with disinfecting wipes before you use it. 

If you get the flu, you are going to feel lousy for a week.  Whether you get treatment or are hospitalized, you will feel lousy for a week.  There's no real advantage to being in the hospital.  The care of someone with the flu should include treatment of symptoms and fever reduction with tylenol or advil. Plenty of fluids to keep the person hydrated. Plenty of rest is important.

Call your doctor if you have a fever over 104, or if a child younger than 5 is over 102.  For infants under 3 months, follow your doctor's recommendation. Or if you have a fever with a stiff neck, bad headache, severe sore throat, earache, or a rash. If you stop making urine or it is very dark, or if you cough up green, brown or bloody mucus. 

Call 911 if  you or a loved one experiences seizures, inability to walk or sit up, unconsciousness, confusion, has speech changes or you can't understand their speech,  chest pain, trouble breathing, unable to wake up, or bluis or grayish skin color.

~Donna

Re: Flu

• Thanks Donna, and another good site for information :-)  
    http://www.cdc.gov/flu/

There are people who get the immunization, then get ill, and blame the shot.  In those cases, they were exposed before the recieved the immunization.  The shot did not cause the flu.

There's also a shorter needle now, and while it's not painless, it's just as effective. 

Those who are most efffective are the elderly, young children/infants, and pregnant women.  If you have anyone in your life who fits into these groups, get the shot so that you don't infect them. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • I was given a DPT shot last year and had a localized reaction on my arm.  I cannot get the flu vaccine because I have too many undertermined medical allergies and it could be very dangerous for me.  

Also luckily this season we have avoided major illness in our household. *knock on wood*

Thank you all for the intormation though. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_flu?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:a4377a68-7f7f-417b-a6cb-b6491d00e79cPost:570b7af6-2c4b-4c05-a108-fdd667441b6b">Re: Flu</a>:
    [QUOTE]Those who are most efffectiv e I think you mean susceptible. People blame the immunization for getting the flu, but this is not correct.  The shot is a killed virus, and cannot infect anyone.  The nasal vax IS a live virus, and I don't recommend it for that reason. The vax only protects against three or four flu strains.  There are usually several in circulation.  It is thus possible to still get the flu. Sometimes the CDC guesses incorrectly, and the vax they mix for the year doesn't match the strains that break out in the USA, or the virus mutates.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

Just to be clear, this year's vaccine is close to a 100% match to the circulating disease.  The fact that immunized people are getting sick doesn't necessarily mean that they have gotten a different strain.  It is more likely that their immune system didn't respond effectively enough to prevent the illness.   Which doesn't mean they shouldn't bother to get the vaccine again, as they could respond in the future. 

I wholeheartedly endorse treating the symptoms.  Get lots of rest, and please please please, stay home.  Don't go to work.  Don't go to the mall, to the store or to school.  Keep kids home from daycare.  ~Donna
  • I got the vaccine for the last several years, and knock on wood, have not been visited by the flu bug once. It also helps that I work at home 99.9% of the time, so I'm not out and about. I think 4 people in my office (out of 9), plus many of their family members,have had it over the past month or so.

My daughter, the biggest needle "baby" in the world, just got her vaccine during her physical. She works in retail and I BEGGED her to get the shot, and she did.

My hubby works in a hospital on computers, and every employee is forced to get the vaccine. If you refuse, you have to wear a mask from the time you enter the hospital until you leave.

But I think we are preaching to the choir here. However, it's worth it if only one person gets the vaccine.
  • Since you all seem knowledgeable on this subject, I have a question.  I foolishly failed to get a flu shot.  I spent 9 hours on Monday at the ER with my daughter (for gallstones, not flu) and about 60% of the people in the ER waiting room seemed to have flu symptoms.  If I were to get a flu shot now, would it help my chances of not getting it?
    imageimage
  • Yep, you're right, Retread, I mistyped on my way to a meeting.
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • The live vaccine avoids needles, which is the biggest deterent to getting the vaccine, except ignorance/misinformation.  Pregnant women should NOT get the live vaccine.  It's much easier to administer the nasal spray to children.

• There are actually antiviral medications like Tamiflu that can treat the flu, rather than just its symptoms.  However, they have to be administered very early in the flu (the first two days), and most people don't see a doctor early enough.  The antiviral drugs can also help if you did not receive the flu shot and know you have been exposed to the flu.  However, there are also down sides to them.  Here is a page with more information.

However, I am a big believer in getting flu shots.  I'd rather escape the flu entirely than just shorten its duration with antivirals (even if I could get them in time).  I try to get a flu shot as early in the season as possible, to minimize the possibility of being exposed before I've had the shot.  This year, NotFroofy and I got the shot in September, knowing we were going to my daughter's wedding and didn't want to pick it up from any of the other guests.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_flu?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:a4377a68-7f7f-417b-a6cb-b6491d00e79cPost:d598430e-cc00-49a5-8f73-82cd5b875083">Re: Flu</a>:
    [QUOTE]Since you all seem knowledgeable on this subject, I have a question.  I foolishly failed to get a flu shot.  I spent 9 hours on Monday at the ER with my daughter (for gallstones, not flu) and about 60% of the people in the ER waiting room seemed to have flu symptoms.  If I were to get a flu shot now, would it help my chances of not getting it?
    Posted by happyfor25[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.  It's too late for Tamiflu, which is also works well to prevent the flu after a certain exposure.  Hope your daughter is feeling better. 

In a situation like above, you could also ask for a surgical mask.  ~Donna
  • Thanks!  I'll be stopping at CVS today!
    imageimage
  • Another question...after exposure, how long am I at risk of developing the flu?  Like if I was exposed on Monday can I assume I'm "safe" if I haven't gotten symptoms by Thursday?  Friday?
    imageimage
  • Incubation is variable.  Also, people are communicable for 24 hours before they have their first symptom, so the customer you shook hands with today could be who infected you, not just the ER.  ~Donna
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards