Second Weddings

THE Dress!!!

Thank you, again, to all who gave such kind and supportive responses to my introductory post.  One thing that I have been dying to share is that I finally have my dress! 

We have decided to have a small, intimate wedding (~ 50 guests), NOT because "well, you know, it's a second wedding" as some people have said to me, but because we want to share that day with our nearest and dearest ... with those who have walked with us through the hard times, love us anyway, and will be a part of our marriage, not just the wedding day.  We found the most beautiful spot for the ceremony -- nothing like what I'd envisioned, but perfect for us -- and it will only fit about that many people.

So I wasn't sure what to expect with dress shopping, especially being plus-sized  and on a tight budget.  I tried this dress on last Christmas while visiting family and was floored.  All my thoughts about "oh, maybe something simple and A-line" went out the window.  But it was outside my budget and we weren't officially engaged yet ...
So I shopped around in this area with a friend (my mother lives in SC and my sister-in-law in Washington state), tried different styles, haunted the Internet, played briefly with the idea of making it ... but nothing was really working out and I was getting nervous about the timeframe for ordering.

I was headed back to Seattle for Christmas again, and found out that same store was closing their bridal department and having a sample sale.  We called ahead to make an apointment for ASAP after I arrived,  ...  and the dress was perfect ... I knew I liked it from last year, but I couldn't believe how fabulous it was this time.  Dress, veil, crinoline ... I think I was in a very happy kind of shock walking out of the store with that massive pink garment bag.

And after 3 flights, 4 airports and 20 hours of traveling together, I still love it!  Laughing
I was so thankful that my mother and SIL were able to be there with me in WA, but there haven't really been many people here to share the joy with ... FI is great about being involved in wedding planning and interested in the details, but this one he doesn't get to see until the day!

Pictures:

Re: THE Dress!!!

• Gorgeous dress! It really looks wonderful on you!
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • You look fabulous in that dress!

Isn't it wonderful when serendipity intervenes and all the stars align, and you get something you really wanted?

Thanks for sharing!

FWIW, 50 people at our more mature ages is about right. We invited about 100, had 73, and it was just right. My husband has 3 brothers with families, so they made up the large part of the guest list.
  • Congrats on finding your dress.  You look amazing in it!

imageimage
  • Very pretty!
  • Stunning.  Your groom will be grinning ear to ear the moment he lays eyes on you!

We had 70.  Perfect. I spoke with everyone, shared moments with them all, had no obligatory guests, and had fun.  Still had time to spend with my DH as well.  ~Donna
  • Lovely! You're beaming!

Our location is out of the way for most, and we're anticipating around 75 or 80 will attend.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lovely gown!!  It looks stunning on you!  Congratulations!!

We had invited families which drove our count up to over 110 - but several families opted to leave the kids at home and we had some no shows (health related) but still managed to have a total count of 56.   Tha was a nice amount we were able to visit with most and have time to dance a little as well. 
  • Thank you all!

And thanks for the feedback on size -- we've gotten looks as though we were sprouting extra body parts when we mentioned our target size.  Weird: on the one hand I have people giving unsolicited advice about not having "anything too fancy this time" and on the other I get snorts and "good luck with that" from friends about having a smaller number of guests. 

Oh well ... to paraphrase the country song, "God is great; chocolate is good; people are crazy!"
  • Oh my goodness!!! That dress is amazing!! Congrats!! =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So Beautiful! Looks amazing on you. Congratulations
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards