Oregon
Options

Honeymoon in Oregon

One of the first things we decided about our wedding was the honeymoon destination: we've been dreaming about visiting Oregon and Washington for quite some time... So I'm looking at you ladies for some help: where does a couple of Belgian newlyweds go for a great time? All we know is that we're going to Portland, but ideas for what to do there and elsewhere in Oregon (and Washington) are welcome!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Honeymoon in Oregon

• Options
    sdrakkansdrakkan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Columbia Gorge deserves some time, especially Multnomah Falls. There are several falls up the gorge with wonderful hiking and viewpoints. Windsurfing is a big one there during the summer.

One of my favorite viewpoints and natural areas is Yaquina Head. http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recreation/yaquina/index.php The coast has a LOT of wonderful areas to go to.

Downtown Portland has a lot to look at and (as odd as it may sound) some of the best food carts in the entire US. Any kind of food you want, you can get. Then you can walk along the waterfront, use the MAX train to go to different places downtown, or find your way into the hills to the International Rose Test Garden. Portland is known as the Rose City, and during the summer has some of the most beautiful gardens in the northwest. http://www.rosegardenstore.org/thegardens.cfm

Just a few things to get you started!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers image I'm in love with a nerd!
  • Options
    jess9802jess9802 member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    What exactly about Oregon and Washington have captivated you? I think that will help us give you some ideas on what to do.

I enjoy the natural beauty of the region. If I had a week or two to kill, I'd probably start in Portland and drive west to Astoria. I'd then spend a day or two driving down Highway 101 along the Oregon Coast, checking out the small coastal towns along the way. It is so unbelievably gorgeous, and very different. The northern Coast has more of the sandy beaches; the central and southern Coast is rockier, but the climate gets a lot warmer as you approach the California border.

I'd then want to cut inland and head to Crater Lake one day (I've never been, alas), and check out the deepest lake in the US. Maybe the next day take a jaunt up to Bend/Sisters, and then head back to the Willamette Valley and check out the wineries.

If I was looking for a more urban experience, I'd go from Portland up to Seattle and eat, drink, and be merry. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You sure picked a great place to visit!

You simply cannot go wrong with the OR coast! All spots along the way are wonderful and have something to offer. Except maybe Lincoln City beaches are crowded and traffic is terrible. The only real thing to do there is shopping. I refer to Lincoln City as the armpit of the coast. Newport is lovely and is about 15-20 min South of L.C. and hold much more entertainment with the Newport Aquarium, Hatfield Marine Science Center and the Rogue Brewery being all next door to one another.

The central and northern valley has a booming wine industry. Plenty of wineries to keep you busy. There is also (W of Salem) Silver Falls State Park with several waterfalls and a long hiking trail that even takes you behind the waterfall.

The Ashland Shakespeare Festival actually runs February through early November with its peak in the summer. They have announced their 2012 season already. http://www.osfashland.org/news/releases/article.aspx?id=156

Portland and its surrounding areas are great. We enjoy our brew, food, music and oddities. What do you expect from a city with "keep Portland weird" for it's catchphrase? Festivals are constantly happening on the waterfront. Several television shows are filmed here like Leverage and most recently NBC's Grimm which will be premiering in the fall. There is also a comedy short series called Portlandia.  We are also home to some bands you may or may not have heard of like Everclear (earlier is better!), the Dandy Warhols, Pink Martini and the Decemberists. Now that I have gone WAY off topic.... There are plenty of gardens to visit like the Rose Test Garden, Chinese and Japanese gardens. We have a nice zoo as well. I highly recommend visiting several of the McMenamins establishments that are all over Oregon. Great food with lots of converted old/historic sites as well as new with lots of character. http://www.mcmenamins.com/

Columbia River Gorge is great for being outdoors. Multnomah Falls, hiking trails, and the river to play on. There is a lovely hotel right along the river that is gorgeous, but a bit pricey. http://columbiagorgehotel.com/

Mt. Hood is a nice little drive to get to and visit. You can ski/snowboard all year round. Timberline Lodge is absolutely beautiful. http://www.timberlinelodge.com/

Eastern OR is very dry, hot and brown. I don't like it much over there.
  • Options
    ElinetrouwtElinetrouwt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, thank you all for the great responses! Thinking about the honeymoon makes me even more impatient to be married :-)

To those of you who wanted to know why we chose the PNW... Hm, it's just that everything we hear about it sounds there, and the few people I've met from tehre/who visited where so over the moon with it. We're attracted by the combination of fun cities and great nature. My FI is a self-proclaimed geek, I'm the greenie type, so that would lead us to a 'keep it weird' place.

We will definitely visit Portland and Oregon, and we will need a few days to relax after the wedding (we're planning to leave right away), so from what I read the Oregon coast would be excellent! And the Multnomah falls, and... basically all the other things you mentioned here.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just wanted to add a quick suggestion since you asked about Washington too. I'm from Oregon, but lived in Seattle for 8 years and love the city. So if you make it up there, (and July would be a great month to do it), there is a lot to do. Mostly outdoor water related activites like parks and trails. I love the downtown waterfront area with a huge daily public market, funky shops, and ferry rides. I would definitely recommend taking the ferry across the sound to Bainbridge Island. 
     Also in the city, it has a great music scene, plenty to eat, and even more to drink. (both in breweries and coffee roasters).

But it sounds like you have your hands full seeing everything in Oregon, which I highly recommend. At least this keeps your options open. Good luck with the planning!
  • Options
    kesia2323kesia2323 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You MUST visit Hood River. The summer there is amazing! Lots of wineries, pubs, galleried and outdoor adventure. Maybe a white water rafting trip??

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thansk kgbfrenchie and kesia! So much great things to do... Sometimes I dream about exotic Islands, but when I read all of this... The PNW is going to be much more fun!
  • Options
    flash8785flash8785 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you visit Bend, I suggest staying at the "Five Pine Lodge" in the town of Sisters (just outside of bend).  It has a rustic Northwest feeling, with luxury!  I went there for an anniversary trip once and it was WONDERFUL!  If they are in your budget, check out the private cabins.  They are amazing.

http://www.fivepinelodge.com/
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, that looks great and very luxurious. Thanks for the tip.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards