Catholic Weddings
Options

Happy Friday - What's on Tap for the Weekend?

Morning all!

Im visiting my mom this weekend and getting ready for vacation which cant get here soon enough!

Re: Happy Friday - What's on Tap for the Weekend?

• Options
    Tami87Tami87 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Happy Friday. Tomorrow my roommates are throwing a very informal "wedding reception encore" for all our grad school friends here who were invited to the wedding but could't make the trip to St. Louis. I am so excited to see everyone.
  • Options
    Taking FI to Augusta to meet my maternal grandparents. First cake tasting when we get back Sunday afternoon.
    We Do - Since November 3, 2012
  • Options
    I have a 3 day weekend! I usually work Saturdays, but I'm off for the day, because we have "God's plan for a joy filled marriage" retreat. I'm really excited about it. 

I'm also hoping to get down the shore on Sunday, and then Monday my Fiance and I have some errands to run. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My weekend will involve some wedding plans (tying up loose ends, mostly).  I have my final practice updo tonight, and I'm really excited for that!  Sunday I don't really have much going on,  which is nice!  I need some time to relax.  I've got tons of wedding-related things to do over the next few weeks, so I need to rest up when I have the chance!

• Options
    Happy Friday all!  It's my week to work all day Friday (our office does a rotation for summer hours, the staff gets to leave at one except we take turns having someone stay until the end of the day).  I'm thinking about going for a run tonight, but I suspect my motivation for that will die out by the evening, so I'll just curl up on the couch with a glass of wine instead :)

FI and I are planning to get our registry completed on Saturday.  I'm pretty excited about that, I've already picked out some things I definitely want, and FI and I have pretty similar tastes so there shouldn't be too much we don't agree on.
  • Options
    Sounds like everyone has pretty fun plans! :o)  I'm going to/helping run a car show tomorrow.  Also, my Mom's birthday is tomorrow so we are going to go on a hike and dinner after on Sunday, it should be a fun weekend! :o)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Half Day of work for me! Excited everyone gets it here at my job. Heading home to meet with one of my BMs to look at dresses. Then tomorrow is a day with the maids dress shopping for them and lunch, then on Sunday I have to leave for a conference!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Christina, that retreat is awesome! Enjoy!

I am off to a knottie g2g with a bunch of the june 2012 girls that live in WI/MN. I'm so excited!
  • Options
    Pre-Cana this weekend--we have 3 hours tonight and then all day tomorrow.  Not sure really what to expect.
  • Options
    I loved my engaged retreat!  There was so much practical information given, and it sparked a lot of good conversation with FI.  So for those of you attending yours this weekend, or in the future, I hope you'll enjoy it like I did!

Also, I have a silly question.  Does the term "pre-cana" refer to the entire process of marriage prepartion -- FOCCUS inventory; meeting with a sponsor couple; attending a retreat; meeting with the priest and discussing the purpose of marriage; etc -- or does it only refer to the retreat?  I hear most people use it to refer only to the retreat, but I always thought it was the whole process?  It's certainly not a big deal, but just something I'm curious about!

• Options
    Tami87Tami87 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_happy-friday-whats-on-tap-for-the-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:a925e1f7-ae9c-406f-ba8b-1b755c200aaaPost:e445b5f7-b25a-4215-8349-370253a83377">Re: Happy Friday - What's on Tap for the Weekend?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I loved my engaged retreat!  There was so much practical information given, and it sparked a lot of good conversation with FI.  So for those of you attending yours this weekend, or in the future, I hope you'll enjoy it like I did! Also, I have a silly question.  Does the term "pre-cana" refer to the entire process of marriage prepartion -- FOCCUS inventory; meeting with a sponsor couple; attending a retreat; meeting with the priest and discussing the purpose of marriage; etc -- or does it only refer to the retreat?  I hear most people use it to refer only to the retreat, but I always thought it was the whole process?  It's certainly not a big deal, but just something I'm curious about!
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

Ditto this. We had a great time at our engagement encounter weekend, and I hope everyone who is going this weekend has a great experience too.

I think pre-cana refers to all the preparation, but I'm not completely sure.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_happy-friday-whats-on-tap-for-the-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:a925e1f7-ae9c-406f-ba8b-1b755c200aaaPost:e445b5f7-b25a-4215-8349-370253a83377">Re: Happy Friday - What's on Tap for the Weekend?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I loved my engaged retreat!  There was so much practical information given, and it sparked a lot of good conversation with FI.  So for those of you attending yours this weekend, or in the future, I hope you'll enjoy it like I did! Also, I have a silly question.  Does the term "pre-cana" refer to the entire process of marriage prepartion -- FOCCUS inventory; meeting with a sponsor couple; attending a retreat; meeting with the priest and discussing the purpose of marriage; etc -- or does it only refer to the retreat?  I hear most people use it to refer only to the retreat, but I always thought it was the whole process?  It's certainly not a big deal, but just something I'm curious about!
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

<div>Pre-cana is technically referring to a specific marriage prep process done with the priest only (not just paperwork/liturgy meetings, but the actual preparation education).</div><div>
    </div><div>People are now using it as a general umbrella term to mean anything having to do with the process or prep of any kind. </div>
  • Options
    Yeah  to me pre-cana is the umbrella term.  Technically we are doing the Marriage Preparation and Enrichment--it is supposed to be run by both priests and married couples.  It covers everything from communication to NFP.  Not sure if there is going to be a FOCCUS inventory, I would kinda like to do one, but I know that the Msgr. marrying us is not doing it with us so who knows.  Our meetings with Msgr. is separate from this weekend.  He wasn't going to require us to go the weekend retreat, but changed his mind at the last minute.  I just hope the church is air conditioned, it is supposed to be in the 90s tomorrow!
  • Options
    Craigslisting, furniture finishing, a birthday party, LOTR movie marathon at my sister+BIL's... and maybe paint shopping for my SIL's new house!
  • Options
    Newly, that sounds like a fun/productive weekend!  What kind of furniture are you finishing?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_happy-friday-whats-on-tap-for-the-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:a925e1f7-ae9c-406f-ba8b-1b755c200aaaPost:f84b7319-9c03-4744-a8a7-92381f5c0a55">Re: Happy Friday - What's on Tap for the Weekend?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Newly, that sounds like a fun/productive weekend!  What kind of furniture are you finishing?
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

<div>We got a free solid maple dressing table off craigslist that was in pretty rough shape, so we've been re-finishing it whenever we can get out to our in-laws for the past couple weeks!  I'm looking forward to the extra drawer space :)  I always have random crap like makeup, nail polish and NFP charts all over the place on my side of the bed!</div>
  • Options
    newly, I'm working on refinishing my mom's old china cabinet. What kind of finish are you planning to do for your table? I'm attempting to copy this finish: http://www.etsy.com/listing/99250863/versailles-collection-french-gilded

But right now it looks nice with jusy the white primer so I'm second guessing my color choice...hmm.

I'm glad everyone said that they enjoyed their retreats! I'm really excited about it. It's bright and early at 8am tomorrow. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Sounds like fun!  I love doing DIY house projects -- furniture, painting, etc.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_happy-friday-whats-on-tap-for-the-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:a925e1f7-ae9c-406f-ba8b-1b755c200aaaPost:cc073ee8-92ba-48b7-93f1-e08af041e95c">Re: Happy Friday - What's on Tap for the Weekend?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sounds like fun!  I love doing DIY house projects -- furniture, painting, etc.
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

Me too!  My parents are holding a Duncan Phyfe dining table and chairs, and a buffet/hutch until FI and I have a house with space for them.  They need to be refinished, and I'm really excited about the project!

FI on the other hand is a little worried - when I stained some unfinished dressers from IKEA, they came out great at the end, but I also somehow managed to get the stain ALL over myself, no matter how careful I was...
  • Options
    Hello ladies! I'm back in Dallas for a wedding, so I'm trying to get some things done that I can only do here or bank is still here, I had to go to my old district's admin building. It's nice to be back, but I appreciate Oklahoma City a lot more. I am not made for big cities. :
    Anniversary

• Options
    Resa-
    (jumping in rather late,) I've been under the impression that "Pre-Cana" is what certain dioceses call the day or weekend that is a specific program that couples go through?

I don't think I ever heard anyone in the diocese where we got married (Lansing) refer to it as that - It was either "meeting with the priest" or "taking the FOCCUS test" or "going on the Engaged Encounter retreat" or "taking an NFP class" or "doing the WE CARE program," (which is probably the actual thing that other dioceses might have called  "pre cana.")
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Hi!

I am finishing unpacking this weekend, hopefully making it over to the commissary for groceries... but probably just ending up at walmart. I still feel weird going on base when H isn't here.  I also am going to write some of the thank you notes. I am TERRIBLE.... don't judge me! Almost 3 months later.... but I plan on explaining the situation in the notes... H was gone so we didn;t open the presents, I was down in florida... and now I am back and need to write thank yous.

Shameful. Don't tell the Ladies over on E... they would die.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Amanda, Etiquette says you get a year to write thank yous. I certainly wouldn't encourage that, but I wouldn't feel bad. I think I sent ours out around 45 months out.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I thought you have a year to send a gift, and only 3 months to send thank yous?

I don't know, I'm certainly no etiquette expert. 

Today was fun... but hectic.  FI and I met with a photographer, and she's really great.  She's even more budget friendly than we thought, and we really hit it off, so we're going to book with her.

We also went to IKEA just to look around (my goodness you could spend days in that place).  Then we got stuck in terrible traffic on the way home, and I hadn't eaten all day, so I was ready to eat my arm off.

Saturday I work all day, but Sunday FI and I will have the day together again.  We love sundays!

Nothing else interesting planned, but I hope everyone has a great weekend!

SaveSave
  • Options
    45 months, Prof? wow, I didn't even think you'd been married that long! haha...

No, but really... I'm pretty sure 3 months or less should be the *goal* for people. (actually, asap....) I think if you don't send them for a whole year, then you probably just shouldn't send them at all, b/c that late is just going to emphasize how tardy you are!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Haha, apparently the mobile site doesn't like punctuation?
    Anniversary

• Options
    its better to receive a thank you note very late than to not receive one at all.  dont sweat it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_happy-friday-whats-on-tap-for-the-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:a925e1f7-ae9c-406f-ba8b-1b755c200aaaPost:8d63b012-0801-4b91-92a8-4fe154f943cf">Re: Happy Friday - What's on Tap for the Weekend?</a>:
    [QUOTE]newly, I'm working on refinishing my mom's old china cabinet. What kind of finish are you planning to do for your table? I'm attempting to copy this finish: <a href="http://www.etsy.com/listing/99250863/versailles-collection-french-gilded" rel="nofollow">http://www.etsy.com/listing/99250863/versailles-collection-french-gilded</a> But right now it looks nice with jusy the white primer so I'm second guessing my color choice...hmm. I'm glad everyone said that they enjoyed their retreats! I'm really excited about it. It's bright and early at 8am tomorrow. 
    Posted by christinamarie325[/QUOTE]

<div>We just stained it a dark reddish brown... basically whatever my in-laws had sitting around!  That Versaille collection has some pretty cool finish styles!</div>
  • Options
    reddish brown sounds nice. :)

We both loved "God's Plan for a Joy-Filled Marriage." It was done very well, and the couple that ran the day were wonderful and very open and honest.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards