January 2013 Weddings

Transitions?

Hi,

Is anyone else going through major transitions after the wedding? Or currently?

I'm currently living in CA.

My last day of work is 12/18.

My FI is in PA right now finishing school. We've been long distance for the past year.

Between New Year's and 1/20 (wedding) we're moving to Jacksonville, FL. 

Holy cow my life is about to change!! Anyone else?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Transitions?

• We are in the process of buying our first house. It looks like we will probably close about a week or so before the weeding.

We were long distance for the past 4 years because I was away at school, and then in May when I came home we wanted to save some more for a house so I moved in with my parents (he lives with his as well).... we only decided in Septmeber on a Jan 2013 wedding, which means we also had to start house shopping at that point. Probably wouldn't reccomend graduate school, house shopping, and wedding planning for anyone to do all at once. Lol.
    It's crazy!
  • We both live in WI (born and raised), but are moving to TN the week after our wedding so that I can start my fellowship. My FI will stay in WI for a few months until his job transfers. We knew that we'd be moving once I finished graduate school, but just got engaged at the end of October (the day after my dissertation defense) and decided on our new location around Thanksgiving. We're super excited, but it will be a big change for sure!! Last day of work- 1/24 Wedding- 1/26 Moving- 1/30 Start fellowship- 2/4 Good Luck with everything, ladies!!
  • FI and I sound like you, Ksblumb just in reverse. He was in school until June and then came home and we're both still with our folks. We just recently started looking for a house, mainly because we were both contract employees up until a week ago so we didn't want to take on a house payment without some degree of permanance from a paycheck standpoint. But after the wedding we're going to move into a house that used to be my Great-Grandparents until we can find and close on one of our own. It's a bit scary to be taking on so many big changes all at once.
  • Oh man, where do I start? Lol

FI and I have been long distance since May 2008. He's in the Marines, stationed in California, been in training, deployed, etc since then and I've been in Pittsburgh, working. We get married January 26th, go to Hawaii for a week, then back to California for a week, then I'm back home to Pittsburgh to wait. Since the military is downsizing, we have to wait until mid-February to find out if FI will get "Career designated" (aka get to stay in the Marines). If he does, then we should find out soon after where we will be stationed next, but if he doesn't, he will be moving to PIttsburgh with me - the reason I'm coming back to PIttsburgh and keeping my job because either way, we won't know anything until mid-late February. 

Man oh man. I'm getting more nervous/anxious as time goes on. 
  • WOW, thats a BIG change!!  You are moving from the West coast to the East coast...the time change alone is a pain in the neck!!  I went to Cali once (I live in NY)...the 3 hours threw me for a loop LOL.  My body was EXHAUSTED by 9pm (Cali time)..lol.  You will adjust though...you just may be up at 5am when the rest of NY is still sleeping LOL!!!
    Good luck to you in every aspect of this change!  I know you will be fine...I give you alot of credit for taking this big move...Jacksonville is so nice though- so, good for you!!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2013-weddings_transitions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:808dddd9-a33d-4d5f-8a47-f091dcd1c99fDiscussion:c3ec927d-36d3-4623-b1cc-3dbb97acf98bPost:def132a8-0682-4e93-ba64-bd7f83538933">Transitions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi, Is anyone else going through major transitions after the wedding? Or currently? I'm currently living in CA. My last day of work is 12/18. My FI is in PA right now finishing school. We've been long distance for the past year. Between New Year's and 1/20 (wedding) we're moving to Jacksonville, FL.  Holy cow my life is about to change!! Anyone else?
    Posted by jpd5127[/QUOTE]
    God is Faithful!
  • So many of you are making huge changes - as if getting married isn't huge enough!  That takes a lot of strength and courage!  I hope you are taking your vitamins!  ;)  I kind of wish we were making some kind of change - again, besides the getting married thing - haha.  But no, we have been living together for a couple of years - not in a position to get a new house.  We're not even going on our honeymoon right away!  It keeps the stress levels manageable though. 

Good luck to you all, and I hope everything goes swimmingly!  :)
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one! 

Thanks so much for sharing and all of your support. It's quite lonely going through transitions alone... I'm happy that we're all kind of in a similar boat. I'm glad we can share our stories with one another and I hope we can be a source of support for each other... 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards