Catholic Weddings
Options

Thoughts? Re: second marriage.

I started the annulment process in January 2012.  After months of paperwork, interviews, and waiting, I received a letter in October stating that I was given an affirmative decision, but my ex has one last chance to appeal. 

It's unlikely that he did. If he didn't, the annulment will be finalized by the end of January.

My FI and I are planning a November 2013 wedding. We must have our first official meeting with our priest at least 6 months prior to the wedding (the church at which we are getting married is a huge stickler for this, although I think it's pretty typical). Anyway, do I contact the priest now without having the "official" annulment papers to start the proess knowing that I'm "this" close, or should I just wait? 
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Thoughts? Re: second marriage.

• Options
    you could call him but chances are he wont meet with you until its officially final.  sound like you dont have much longer tho.  end of january is only a month away and the priest is still very busy with advent season.
  • Options
    Well it couldn't hurt to make the appointment now for early February?  That would still give you plenty of advance notice in meeting wit him, but also assures you can meet with him.
  • Options
    I know that when I contacted my parish about getting married, they were hesitant to "put us on the books" so early.  Since I was enrolled in RCIA there and my BIL kind of "knew some people" we were able to get pencilled in, but we never met with anyone about our wedding until reeeeally close (like, August for a November wedding, which they still said was too early, but I'm a teacher and wanted it done before school started).

They might tell you to wait until you get your annulment completely sorted out, but they might also at least reserve the date for you.  The one thing we did do sort of early in the year was get together for our initial interview (free to marry, etc.) and get our FOCCUS test to take home.

Again, I think we were an exception, not the rule.  At the time, my then-FI had a job that took him all over the country (and sometimes the world), so the church worked us in when he was in town.

If they're going to make you wait, ask them what other documents they'll need from both of you to confirm that you're good to go (if you don't already know).  It took us a while to get my husband's baptismal certificate, so it was helpful to start that search early.
    Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2012
    I should have mentioned, the parish secretary did reserve the date for us. I want to call the priest and get the ball rolling (it's exciting), but on the other hand, maybe I should just not pester him until everything's on the up and up LOL

Good idea about getting the paperwork I know we'll need together. My FI is going to have track down his baptism certificate.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    your FI shoudl be able to call teh church where he was baptized and have them send it direct.  in fact, that's what's usually done as the baptism certificate is the official church record of all marriages and sacraments.  you should also request yours unless you are getting married at the church where you were baptized.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards