Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Do I have to have a Rehearsal Dinner?

is it mandantory that i have rehersal dinner? i'm thinking about not having one cuz idk know of a place to have it... any one have suggestions or comments?

Re: Do I have to have a Rehearsal Dinner?

• redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    You only have to have one if you have a rehearsal. The rehearsal dinner is a thank you to those attending the rehearsal. If you are skipping the rehearsal, you can skip the dinner. But if you have a rehearsal you must have the dinner. Pizza and beer in your backyard is fine.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • <h1>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_do-i-have-to-have-a-rehearsal-dinner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:a4ecf76f-2d3d-4d99-a346-c579da346a66Post:63770cb9-6d00-49bf-a665-fa233037e6aa">Re: Do I have to have a Rehearsal Dinner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You only have to have one if you have a rehearsal. The rehearsal dinner is a thank you to those attending the rehearsal. If you are skipping the rehearsal, you can skip the dinner. But if you have a rehearsal you must have the dinner. Pizza and beer in your backyard is fine.
    Posted by redheadfsu[/QUOTE]

This!! (I dont know why its bold), but we are having pizza and lemonade at the church immediatly following the rehersal. Nothing fancy. </h1>

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Ditto PP's, if you have a rehearsal, you must host a dinner to thank them for attending.  We just went to our favorite BBQ place after our rehearsal, it was casual and inexpensive, but still a dinner.
    Anniversary
  • We're getting a few trays of food from 2 local restaurants & hosting it in our apartment. For 15 people it will be about $175. Not too bad.
  • You do not have to host a rehearsal dinner, whether or not you have a rehearsal.  We had a very brief walkthrough immediately before the ceremony (it helps to have a teeny tiny wedding party) and everything went off without a hitch.

Have a great wedding!
  • I would say no. For my friends wedding rehearsal everyone went their own way for dinner. She did have a cookout thrown for everyone but only a few people came.

My FI and I are going to go to a fish camp that is along the river and rent out their deck. It is seriously ten bucks a person for a basket of food. We originally wanted to do a bowling party but it was over a thousand dollars... After writing all the checks this week, I changed my mind on our budget. :)

Remember it doesn't need to be all out or expensive. It can be casual and low key too.

Best wishes!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ditto the others - if you have a rehearsal, you must have a rehearsal dinner, but it doesn't have to be fancy.  Our's was pizza, salad, and cheesecake in the church hall right after the rehearsal.  It was nice to have something relaxing.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_do-i-have-to-have-a-rehearsal-dinner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:a4ecf76f-2d3d-4d99-a346-c579da346a66Post:eab8a317-10c6-4711-91fc-ace263f83a62">Re: Do I have to have a Rehearsal Dinner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You do not have to host a rehearsal dinner, whether or not you have a rehearsal.  We had a very brief walkthrough immediately before the ceremony (it helps to have a teeny tiny wedding party) and everything went off without a hitch. Have a great wedding!
    Posted by Lisa50[/QUOTE]
    This is incorrect.  If you have a rehearsal, you have to host the participants.

• MeghannsixMeghannsix member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Since our venue books up for Thursdays and Fridays also, we decided to forgo a rehersal on Wednesday, and instead host a rehersal brunch at our venue, since we have it for the entire day, and our wedding isn't until 4pm.  This will also ensure that everyone is in the area on time!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We didn't have a rehearsal, yet the groom's parents still took the wp out to dinner the night before.

You don't have to know where to have it since traditionally it's the groom's parents who go to three possible locations, do a tasting and consider menu items, make a decision of which venue to use, then do all the contract negotiations to set everything from menu to color of napkins, etc. and sign the contract.  Then they get to the venue first and welcome everyone and host the dinner.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_do-i-have-to-have-a-rehearsal-dinner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:a4ecf76f-2d3d-4d99-a346-c579da346a66Post:42f4e324-47fe-4686-9477-a65d62526815">Re: Do I have to have a Rehearsal Dinner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We didn't have a rehearsal or a rehearsal dinner and I don't regret it one bit.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

Me too, just another thing to plan on top of so much to do already and it wasnt really necessary to rehearse "walking".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • dappledachsiedappledachsie member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I
    agree that if you have a rehearsal you host a lunch/dinner/etc as well.

The problem "we" are running into is that FI's mother doesn't think we need a rehearsal and doesn't want to do a rehearsal dinner...instead she thinks we should have a "party" (ie. alcohol, food, dancing, etc) for all the guests (~200) the night before...which she isn't paying for. She wants us to host the "party" and the purpose for said "party" is so that all the guests can "wish you well"...I'm pretty sure that's part of what a reception is for (aside from us thanking everyone for coming, etc etc) so there is no need for a "pre-reception". Granted our ceremony is not long or extravagent, but it is located up in the mountains and few of the WP/family have every been there so we want to make sure that the "key" people know how to get there and layout of the venue to help reduce the likelihood of anyone being late when it counts, as well as 2 young WP members who need a run through on walking down the aisle. We also have flowers and other items to take to the venue the day before as well, so we will be there anyway.

Sorry for the rant...guess I needed to vent! Good luck and congratulations!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards