Catholic Weddings

Scapulars and Miraculous Medals

Do you wear a scapular and/or miraculous medal?  Feel free to comment as to how long you've done it, whether you have done the prayers/promises associated, what color scapular, etc.  Or, if you don't wear either, why not? 

Re: Scapulars and Miraculous Medals

• I wear a miraculous medal everyday (it's actually the one I wore for my wedding).  I also keep my scapular in my pillow case, I know that's not the proper way to use it but that's what I do.  I don't have any particular prayers that go along with them though...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I used to wear both when I was a kid, and I always lost/broke them.  Finally, I just gave up, and now I wear neither.

I actually have this terrible grudge against the brown scapular.  It's not as bad anymore, but I used to really get annoyed by it.  I just get annoyed because there are too many people who are all "it doesn't matter how sinful the person, or whether they're sorry...if they're wearing the scapular, they'll go to heaven."  I also hate the mentality of "oh no, I forgot my scapular!  What if I die!??" It's as though people believe they CAN'T get to heaven without it.  I just don't like the mentality that "there is no salvation except through the brown scapular." 

• I wear a Miraculous Medal, but more as a simple Marian devotion than to reap rewards for doing so. I got it last Christmas, so I've been doing it for less than a year. When I became pregnant, I found myself drawing closer to Mary, and H gave it to me for Christmas.

I have a brown scapular that I have neither prayed nor worn. I agree with feeling of discomfort with "assured" salvation. We need to rely on Christ, his mercy and our continued repentance from sin. I know people who wear scapulars and still have an attitude of repentance, but it is just not an appropriate devotion for me at this time in my spiritual journey.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What are scapulars and miraculous medals? I've never heard of them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The Scapular is usually meant to refer to the Brown Scapular, though there are (less popular) "colors" of scapulars with different associated meanings.  The brown scapular is associated with Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, and although I'm no expert and don't know the specifics, there are particular promises to the wearer of the scapular.  Now, the wearer is also supposed to live up to certain promises (honestly, they're the things we should already be doing, like, not sinning).  One promise is that the wearer, should he/she die, will go to heaven.

The miraculous medal is a medal with an image of Our Lady, orginated by St. Catherine Labore.  You wear the medal on a chain, around your neck (typically, at least).  It's associated with a promise of Mary's intercession at the hour of the wearer's death, but people's attitudes toward it aren't as "you're definitely going to heaven" as the scapular, in my experience.  There's a novena associated with it.

• I don't think the promise is that you'll go to heaven. I believe the promise is that you won't die without a chance at final sacraments. (Therefore you're in the state of grace, and at some point will make it to heaven).

• edited December 2012
    Carrie, I don't think it's a promise of heaven either, as much as a promise of the chance to repent.  I just know too many people who treat it like some magic amulet rather, and seem to place too much faith in the object rather than God.

• i dont wear either, but i know my dad wore a scapular every day after he became diagnosed with the illness that eventually took his life.  he was very  much at peace when he died and received last rites 2 or 3 times during his illness which spanned nearly 11 years.

he did believe that if you were wearing it at death it meant youd get to heaven - of course this could have a pitstop in Purgatory for who knows how long.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_scapulars-and-miraculous-medals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:fac19e48-462b-49de-abc0-500110b53e8fPost:3d56ea95-acb3-4593-a57e-8b48792bf171">Re: Scapulars and Miraculous Medals</a>:
    [QUOTE]The Scapular is usually meant to refer to the Brown Scapular, though there are (less popular) "colors" of scapulars with different associated meanings.  The brown scapular is associated with Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, and although I'm no expert and don't know the specifics, there are particular promises to the wearer of the scapular.  Now, the wearer is also supposed to live up to certain promises (honestly, they're the things we should already be doing, like, not sinning).  One promise is that the wearer, should he/she die, will go to heaven. The miraculous medal is a medal with an image of Our Lady, orginated by St. Catherine Labore.  You wear the medal on a chain, around your neck (typically, at least).  It's associated with a promise of Mary's intercession at the hour of the wearer's death, but people's attitudes toward it aren't as "you're definitely going to heaven" as the scapular, in my experience.  There's a novena associated with it.
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]Thanks. Out of curiosity, because of these promises associated with wearing them, is there any controversy about them being idols? I've never really learned what qualifies something as an idol and what doesn't.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't know if it's officially recognized as a controversy, but I'm sure some individuals have that concern. 

• I wear both. I receieved the Miraculous medal as a gift for my confirmation, and only take it off when I have to get really dressed up and it doesn't work with the dress. I tend to wear long necklaces so I can layer it with both. I also have a St. Luke medal my brother gave me. (Patron saint of artists)

I wear the brown scapular as well. Again only taking it off on rare occassion or when it could get wet. I think it offers the chance to repent before death, not a one way ticket to heaven. 

I don't have prayer associated with either.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love Bud McFarlane...I think he's pretty funny. 

This conversation reminded me of this list:

• I don't wear either. I have several saints' medals on a chain with my crucifix. I used to wear it daily, buti stopped when we were living in the middle east.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards