Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

haven't heard from the baker...

I am using a friend's baker from her wedding. The guy doesn't own a bussiness but makes cakes on the side. I have yet to hear from him. I have asked the friend to ask him to call me (I don't have his number) and still haven't heard anything.

What I am wondering is if I should start looking for back up plans. We have what he is charging in the budget and not sure anyone else will do it for the same price. I have been told not to worry, that I will have a cake, but how can I not worry when I'm under 4 months and haven't heard a word?
Anniversary

Re: haven't heard from the baker...

• kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    One important thing you need to do is this:  check with your venue and/or caterer and see if food can be brought in from an unlicensed commercial kitchen.  MANY times this is a big no go.

2 or 3 years ago a bride was lamenting on the cake board that her grandmother had made her wedding cake for somewhere between 250-300 guests.  Grandma had always made the family wedding cakes.  When it was time to deliver it, the venue absolutely refused to let it in because it didn't come from a licensed facility.  They had no cake at their reception.
  • edited December 2011
    Ignoring the license thing for a moment, this guy needs to get back to you ASAP or you need to change plans to someone very, very different.

(I'd actually switch now unless you've got your heart set on this person for whatever reason). 

If you're not ready to pull the plug call either your friend (if you still don't have the cake guy's number) or the cake guy (if you do) and just tell whichever one that you're interested but if you don't get a response by tomorrow/thisweekend/whenever you're switching. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_havent-heard-baker?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:aff37c44-1657-466c-85bd-04b1df7ba149Post:003998d2-fc0e-4021-9db5-452077f17cc8">Re: haven't heard from the baker...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ignoring the license thing for a moment, this guy needs to get back to you ASAP or you need to change plans to someone very, very different. (I'd actually switch now unless you've got your heart set on this person for whatever reason).  If you're not ready to pull the plug call either your friend (if you still don't have the cake guy's number) or the cake guy (if you do) and just tell whichever one that you're interested but if you don't get a response by tomorrow/thisweekend/whenever you're switching. 
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I'd be looking for another baker.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Instead of asking your friend to have him call you, could you ask for his number directly? And get something in writing stating what kind of cake, price, delivery, location and time. And if another week or so goes by without being able to get in touch with him, then I'd suggest looking for another baker. A friend of mine got hers done for a very decent price at Jewel, actually. Just keep in mind if you looked there, they don't deliver.
  • edited December 2011
    If you have never met the guy, how does he know what to charge you? Sounds a little odd to me.  When I baked cakes for brides, they'd come for a tasting, we'd sketch out their cake design, I'd price it out then. 

Time to get that guy's actual contact information, and contact him yourself. 

Not only do venues have rules against homebaking so do some states.  The guy sounds like he is using your friend as a go-between so he doesn't get caught by the health dept.
  • lynxbbgirllynxbbgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh man, as bad as it sounds, I really had no idea. I will be calling my venue tomorrow to find out, and I have a couple of places to ask about prices. Thank you for all of the help, I didn't think it was only me that found it odd. I talked to my fi about it tonight and he said we will find the money to get the cake if needed. Thanks again ladies :)
    Anniversary
  • lynxbbgirllynxbbgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I called the venue and they said I can use anyone I would like :)

On the other hand I went to a few cake places today and am just going to pay the difference to make sure that I will have a cake there. (My parents said they would still pay for what was budgeted,) Thank Ladies for all of the words of advice.
    Anniversary
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad you're using someone else and that it's all working out!

I definitely would not be using that guy.

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards