Offbeat Weddings
Options

bonvoyage party before destination wedding

my fiance and i would like to do a bon voyage party before we go on our cruise to get married. we are going on the cruise alone (no family, no friends). i thought having a party before hand would be a nice way to get our families involved but ive been looking at other peoples opinion on this and ive seen alot of negative comments saying its a rude idea. i dont see the rudeness in it we cant afford to invite people on the cruise and want them to be involved somehow. i dont want to do a stuffy reception afterwards, thats just not my thing. i would love to hear some opinions or ideas from others. thank!

Re: bonvoyage party before destination wedding

• Options
    I think the 'rude' part only applies in certain situations. If for example you invited some of your family/friends but through some sort of party as a 'consolation prize' for those that 'didn't make the cut' that would be considered rude. If you're going just you and your FI then its the same mentality as an at home reception I would believe. That's a totally different situation :)

Have you thought at all about what you'd like to do for this party?
  • Options
    Sounds like a fun party! I don't see how throwing a 'Bon Voyage' party is any different than for example a 'Housewarming' or a 'Birthday'. At the end of the day you're not lying claiming its your actual wedding, you're not recreating your reception, and you aren't excluding some from the event and using it as a consolation prize. Sounds like a great plan to me!
  • Options
    I don't see it as being any different than an at home reception, which are common after a destination wedding.  It's just happening before the wedding, instead of after.  I see no issue with this at all, as long as you host it properly.
    Sounds fun!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards