Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Make Up Artist on site or at a store, or DIY? HELP!!!

Hello Ladies!
First post ever! We just got engaged on the 22nd of December and we are having a July wedding!
Anyways, I'm knocking out my list left and right of things to do and there is one I'm having an issue with, Beauty & Hair!
Now I have a stylist, fingers crossed that she doesn't cancel on me ! Now the beauty part, I have been trying to decide if I should have it done by a professional make up artist or have someone do it for me like a family or friend. My only thing of having other than a professional do my makeup is the fact that it may not stay the whole night, since it is going to be in the middle of July in Georgia!
If I were to have a professional do it that would be ideal. I have received an email back from one person giving me her prices, but I just want to hear from y'all as to how much you are paying or did pay for a make up artist to do yours! That way I can tell if I'm getting a great deal or not!

Atlanta, GA brides if you know of an excellent make up artist please let me know!! :)

Sorry I just kind of rambled on there and I have too much on my mind! Sorry if there are some typos or theres something that doesn't make any sense!

Re: Make Up Artist on site or at a store, or DIY? HELP!!!

• Options
    Can you get a makeup setting spray? Invest in some now and test it out to see if it works. If it's awesome Yay no MUA necessary. If it's terrible, you should book one.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    FI cousin is a makeup artist so she is doing mine for free. I was going to DIY because i dont want to spend $100 on makeup, when i can buy $100 worth of make up and use is over and over again. There are a lot of youtube tutorials for bridal makeup. makeup setting spray will help and if you DIY youll have the makeup with you for touchups
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2013

I am in the professional MUA camp because I knew there would be no way I could achieve the look I wanted by myself and I wanted to relax and be pampered.  How I looked was very important to me so I put a professional wedding MUA in my budget from the beginning.

You might try the Atlanta board for the going rate.  Here in Dallas, I think it ranges around $175+ for bridal hair and airbrush makeup.  You will also want to do a trial run beforehand however, which here runs around another $125+.

• Options
    Thank y'all for the input, guess I will just have too look around a videos and maybe do some more checking around for prices if it doesn't work. I'm pretty good doing my own makeup but I just want to look the best in pictures and for everything else. So I might just do some thinking!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_make-up-artist-on-site-or-at-a-store-or-diy-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:0bbebd30-b5e3-48da-a6e7-b6f037a5e69aPost:4579a94a-c13c-4d39-bd40-36fd18906680">Re: Make Up Artist on site or at a store, or DIY? HELP!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I am in the professional MUA camp because I knew there would be no way I could achieve the look I wanted by myself and I wanted to relax and be pampered.  How I looked was very important to me so I put a professional wedding MUA in my budget from the beginning.</strong> You might try the Atlanta board for the going rate.  Here in Dallas, I think it ranges around $175+ for bridal hair and airbrush makeup.  You will also want to do a trial run beforehand however, which here runs around another $125+.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

I 100% agree. I wear a full face of makeup every single day and think I look good but there is no way I even considered doing my own on my wedding day.  It was my wedding day, I wanted to look like a glamed up version of myself.  There was no way I would be able to achieve the look I was going for on my own with all of the other stress of the day.  It's the one day of your life when you should pay someone to pamper you.

I suggest looking around.  Here in the NYC area makeup cost between $100 and $200 for the bride. I've even seen prices of more than $300. So I shopped around. Instead of having someone come to me I found a small salon that was in my town that was willing to honor their prom and sweet 16 special for the wedding. It was $120 for hair and makeup. This was dirt cheap for my area. I went for a trial and loved it. On my wedding day it looked even better than the trial. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was originally going the DIY route but when I added up the cost for the quality products you need to use, it was going to be more than hiring a professonal. I am set with hiring a professional. Not only do I not have to worry about getting it perfect, but I don't have to spend as much.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm in the minority here, but I'm going to DIY my makeup. I don't wear much day to day and I know I can do my eyes the way I want them when I go out for special occasions, so I'm not too worried. In fact I'm more worried that if I got a MUA then I wouldn't look as natural or like myself as I want. Maybe I'm just weird, but makeup doesn't matter sooo much to me. :)
  • Options
    MUA usually f up my face, imo. My skin is really dry, and I know what products I need to use in order to combat that. I think if my face were oily I would be more apt to use a MUA.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_make-up-artist-on-site-or-at-a-store-or-diy-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:0bbebd30-b5e3-48da-a6e7-b6f037a5e69aPost:7044fe14-e0c3-40ac-b70a-ee813d1343cb">Make Up Artist on site or at a store, or DIY? HELP!!!</a>:<div>I just got married on Dec 29th, i wasnt sure until the last minute about having someone else do my make or hair, but was so glad i did, my make up lasted thru the whole day!! its worth every cent!! plus it takes the pressure off you.</div><div>
    [QUOTE]Hello Ladies! First post ever! We just got engaged on the 22nd of December and we are having a July wedding! Anyways, I'm knocking out my list left and right of things to do and there is one I'm having an issue with, Beauty & Hair! Now I have a stylist, fingers crossed that she doesn't cancel on me ! Now the beauty part, I have been trying to decide if I should have it done by a professional make up artist or have someone do it for me like a family or friend. My only thing of having other than a professional do my makeup is the fact that it may not stay the whole night, since it is going to be in the middle of July in Georgia! If I were to have a professional do it that would be ideal. I have received an email back from one person giving me her prices, but I just want to hear from y'all as to how much you are paying or did pay for a make up artist to do yours! That way I can tell if I'm getting a great deal or not! Atlanta, GA brides if you know of an excellent make up artist please let me know!! :) Sorry I just kind of rambled on there and I have too much on my mind! Sorry if there are some typos or theres something that doesn't make any sense!
    Posted by bds0212[/QUOTE]

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards