Snarky Brides
Options

Venue Double Booked: What are my rights?

I was married last week.  I had my venue booked and paid for as of December of last year.  I receive a phone call the Tuesday before my contracted wedding date (3 days prior) telling me that they double booked my venue and I had to share my ceremony and reception site or reschedule.  My fiance and I are both from another state as is all of our family and friends.  I'm sure you can see the problems this would cause.  We ended up having the wedding 1 day earlier; however, it still caused so much rushing that a ton of planned events and opportunities were missed.  What do you think I have as far as legal rights?  There are many things I feel they should pay for but on top of all of it the emotional toll and stress it placed on what should have been the happiest day of our lives should be recognized.  HELP! What should I ask for as far as compensation and/or something else to make up for such a horrid mistake?

Re: Venue Double Booked: What are my rights?

• Options
    definitely look through your contract to start!  Was there anything in there stating policies of any sort of the event having to be moved?  I'm sorry you had to go through that :/ That was one of the first things my dad ask my coordinator (is the date/venue secured?)  There may be a morning/afternoon wedding before my evening wedding, but in my contract there is a clause  talking about the date/time being secured from set-up to clean-up.  If they didn't have the means to host two separate weddings then that is their error and I would hope they would own up to their mistake and cover additional costs to make you change your date on such short notice. Good Luck with figuring things out.  At least on a positive note you guys are married :) 

Anniversary
  • Options
    They realized they double booked the venue three DAYS before the event?  How is that even possible?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_venue-double-booked-what-are-my-rights?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a0f4f3ac-a85e-4a2c-b0cb-bf654eaf88c6Post:d0131a47-6d52-4132-b4d8-e527a2467b5c">Re: Venue Double Booked: What are my rights?</a>:
    [QUOTE]They realized they double booked the venue three DAYS before the event?  How is that even possible?
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

I have no idea!  That is the part I don't understand and I feel like they are going to try and get out of covering all additional expenses (not to mention all of the added stress) this put on our wedding.  It's just crazy!
  • Options
    I don't know if there's anything you can do now after the fact when they told you you could still have it the same day, you'd just have to share the space.  I think if you went through with the wedding the same day you'd have more of a case, but I don't know.  I'm not a lawyer. 
  • Options
    I agree with PP's. Def start with your contract. I would have been outraged!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It will all come down to what your contract says. Do you have records of checking with them before the wedding to make sure your date was booked?  Obviously they were trying to book two wedding in the same day to make more money.

NeedWeddingFavors.com - A blog of wedding favors
  • Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_venue-double-booked-what-are-my-rights?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a0f4f3ac-a85e-4a2c-b0cb-bf654eaf88c6Post:8ffbfead-c3e2-4f29-9e01-97bbbe4ede85">Re: Venue Double Booked: What are my rights?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Venue Double Booked: What are my rights? : I have no idea!  That is the part I don't understand and I feel like they are going to try and get out of covering all additional expenses (not to mention all of the added stress) this put on our wedding.  It's just crazy!
    Posted by woodni231[/QUOTE]

Amazing.

Obviously start with your contract.  If you're serious and lost a big amount of money, I'd let a lawyer look over the contract, as well.  They can tell you if you have any room to dispute what happened and what you are legally owed. 
  • Options
    I don't really have any advice, but I'm so sorry... that is so ridiculously unprofessional.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards